Thread: Reds and Whittier

Default Reds and Whittier

Are there any reds in Whittier if so where about? I'm lookin to play around later today

Also I'll be fishing from shore

i'd really like to know about fishing for salmon in general in whittier from shore, would have to be accessable by car. thanks. also when and where would be the best time and place to fish for them.

Unless it's little red riding hood that lost her way, I don't think you'll find any reds in Passage Canal.

There can be catchable numbers of silvers at the end of the summer, but the run doesn't seem to materialize every year.

In general Whittier is a good place to launch a boat to head further out into the sound to catch fish, but fishing from shore at the head of passage canal is questionable as to whether it's worth it. If you like fishing, and a challange, and catching isn't that important to you, then give Whittier a try.

If catching salmon is more to your liking, I'd say save the drive and fish the various salmon streams in and around Anchorage.

You can catch pinks and chums from shore in Whittier in late July in to August. You'll be hard pressed to find any salmon from shore there now. A better bet would be reds in Seward at the mouth of the Resurrection River.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can catch pinks and chums from shore in Whittier in late July in to August. You'll be hard pressed to find any salmon from shore there now. A better bet would be reds in Seward at the mouth of the Resurrection River.
    My neighbor was @ R. river yesterday and did well.