Thread: Just got 18 ft bass boat, few ?'s.......

Default Just got 18 ft bass boat, few ?'s.......

........got two electric trolling motors with boat but no battery, what kind of battery should I get? anything else with the battery setup I need? what about getting a gas motor, any suggestions? where to buy? any advice much appreciated or if anyone has any decent used batteries or motors for sale let me know
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

I'd recommend a minimum of a 100 AH true deep cycle battery.
    Dont go below a 50% depth-of-discharge or you're going to shorten the life of your expensive battery considerably.

Trojan brand is probably one of the best for your needs. You can find deep cycle batteries everywhere, Costco and Sams are the cheapest but sears, freddies and batteries etc also carry deep cycle batteries.

You should read up on batteries:
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the quick response. I remember reading that battery info once before somewhere, and it was just as informative another time around.
    George Carlin

how is your boat setup for batteries and recharging them? Some boats were setup with multiple batteries for a motor to extend trolling life. A 12 volt system on an 18 foot boat may not last that long depending on current. I used to have a 20 foot walleye boat with a 36 volt system, 3 batteries for the two trolling motors and a fourth as a starting battery. The 3 trolling batteries had a on-board charger for at night.

Default I have no setup really.

I traded a 5x10 wood deck trailer to my father in law for the boat which came with a trailer of course and two electric trolling motors. I am in the process of determining how best to power the boat. I was looking at the on board chargers but wasn't sure what to make of them.

How does it provide a charge to the batteries?
    George Carlin

Default Just curious...

If you get this boat up and running, what will you use it for? Too heavy for rivers, too low for the saltwater, not the best for most lakes up here. Ski boat?

Default Sayak---

You know, curiosity killed the cat. Nah just joking, but without being too sarcastic to answer your question. Of course rivers and saltwater are out of the question, but I sure as hell don't see a reason why it wouldn't work just fine in a lake. I dunno, maybe you know something about boats I don't. I mean the thing floats (I have been told) so what is the issue?
    George Carlin

my dad brought his 20ft 200xp up here its a very fast boat but about the only thing its good for is racing jet ski's on the lake.

Default Bill...

Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    You know, curiosity killed the cat. Nah just joking, but without being too sarcastic to answer your question. Of course rivers and saltwater are out of the question, but I sure as hell don't see a reason why it wouldn't work just fine in a lake. I dunno, maybe you know something about boats I don't. I mean the thing floats (I have been told) so what is the issue?
    ... whatever floats your boat.

You're probably right about it being OK for lakes. From what I've seen of bass boats, they are built for speeding from one venue to the next in protected waterways.

Default Without seeing how to judge

The poor boy got a boat, yahoo and all of a sudden it's of no value on any water. Without seeing a photo even I'd bet it's good for most lakes. Many a trip Seward just out side the harbor and maybe some lower Kenai.
    I'm glad to hear you got a boat, what ever it is, weather conditions will deside if it's safe to go out on a small lake. Most important part be safe use common scense.
    To the question;
    Maast answered the question great. but for long fishing days a small 4 stroke could be very useful. Craigs List has some great deals or the form here.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    If you get this boat up and running, what will you use it for? Too heavy for rivers, too low for the saltwater, not the best for most lakes up here. Ski boat?

Default Just so no one stays up late at night worrying about me....

.........I will stay close to shore always. Lake Louise is my goal but any interior lake will do, no Seward or Kenai for me. I know Lake Louise can get rough too.

Oh and no "speeding from one venue to the next" either. Speeding is fun on asphalt I do believe. But as for the water I think I will troll around as quietly as possible so as not to scare the little fishies.

And thanks again to Maast for promptly and concisely answering my original question. Not that I minded the detours.
    Last edited by billhicksmostfunny; 06-15-2010 at 14:41. Reason: typo
    George Carlin