Thread: Shrimping north Knight Island?

Default Shrimping north Knight Island?

Thinking about hauling the pots out there on Sat. Anyone have any luck shrimping the Northern part of the island? Not looking for spots, just want to be close by to check em rather than making a run back accross the Passage to my normal spots.

Just wondering if it's worth the trouble. Thanks in advance!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    Just wondering if it's worth the trouble. Thanks in advance!
    I don't know of the shrimping on the N end of Knight, but I can answer that last question. Of course it's worth the trouble! That's half the fun of shrimping - exploring new areas. We've got some productive spots, but I love trying out new areas. It's like a treasure hunt and the anticipation is heavy when you're pulling the line for the first time. It's a bust more often than not, but sometimes you luck into a gold mine. If not, what's lost? A little bit of time and a little bit of bait (and the shrimp you could've caught elsewhere, I suppose).

Go forth and explore, I say! (And then send me the GPS coordinates if it's good.)

I hear ya Brian.

Right now its a tossup between N. Knight Isl. or to my reliable and
    productive spots within Nellie Juan as it goes for shrimp!!!! The fishing is much better in and around Knight and not very good deep in Nellie Juan. Was going to take the light gear for the kids and fish the pinnacles for rockfish, so I am leaning hard going towards N. Knight and hope that I find the mother of all shrimping holes while I'm out there!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

You'll find shrimp there, though it's not the best spot in the sound. It is a great spot for rockfish, and lings in season, and you can get silvers on their way through.

From what I've heard, your better shrimping spots are going to have freshwater feeding into them, so the various fjords, not the islands that stand alone in the sound.

Default not worth it

I set by upper herring 3 weeks ago and got like 2-3 shrimp per pot and two small octopus. So it was worth it for some octopus bait, but not worth it for the shrimp in my opinion. I keep my 6 (well 5 now after I lost one last week) round pots on the deck with the line and 2 buoys, so it takes up space. Then add the time to set and pull for 18 shrimp wasn't worth it for me. Maybe there are better spots out there, but I don't want to spend time trying if I'm around Knight. I figure if I'm down in that area I will focus only on fishing for rock fish and halibut. It frees up more time to do that and frees up deck space. If I'm up near Whittier I will focus on shrimp only.

I've tried shrimping north Knight a few times. Certainly never found the new hot spot I was hoping for. But we did get a few. I hear the best shrimping is wherever the commercial guys are working the salmon. Just a rumor though...

C'mon... it's a joke! Laugh a little.

Sreiously though. Not a lot of shrimp out that way as far as I can tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

arctic hunter - if you see a single faded bouy floating ( sitting deepin the water) pick it up for me. must have dropped it too close to a ledge, and it slide off. had one escape from me about 10 days ago so it could be free float in knight island passage or points beyond
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I was out with some friends working that area for three days straight a few weeks back. Most spots honestly did only produce 2-3 shrimp per pot. We only found one area on our last day that had 10 per pot, which is still really sad. I too enjoy fishing that area, but will certainly not set my pots out there again. I'd rather leave my pots in a good spot and pick them up once a day.

Default Thanks for the info.....

Looks like the weather may not cooperate out that way, so we'll be staying closer to port and will concentrate on shrimping more than fishing. If any of you are out this weekend, I'll be in and around Port Wells and Cochrane looking for some new shrimpin spots.

Maybe try to hook into a few chums and who knows might get lucky on the butts and rockfish!

Don't worry won't be throwing my pots out by Ester!!! They will be within eyesight of me at all times!!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"