Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Kenai trout flies?!

Default Early Kenai trout flies?!

Just looking to see what people are throwing at rainbows for the early season? I'm plannin' on fishin reds (where ever they may be) and float from sports to jims and try for some rainbows. For those of you who are what flies will you have in your arsenal? ESL's, nymphs, flesh, beads, buggers, maybe some dry's...?

Good Luck to all who will be out there and say hey if you happen to recognize me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2058.jpg  

With the upper Kenai river running high and fast I am bringing the whole kit. That includes floating with my Loop spey rod on the raft too. Good luck and tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

I'll be down there tonight through sunday and will pretty much be throwing everything you mentioned. Although, I don't ever have any luck when I go down there, so we will see I seem to only catch Dollies.... I guess my presentation isn't good enough yet I also got a few "little king" flies that I bought that I am going to try as well. If I see ya down there, I share whats working and whats not. Good Luck!

well you try smolt patterns, muddlers, beads, wooly buggers and flesh, and dahli lamhas no telling what they will hit right now.

In spring for bows I like to start out with big stuff like smolts or dolly llamas or big esl's as they are often pretty hungry without a heck of a lot to eat depending on where you are. Then move to deaddrifting and then swinging flesh and finally with beads and nymphs.

This progression largely stems from my enjoyment of fishing these three methods from most to least and has little basis in fact, science or logic even.

I'd rather two fish that slam on a stripped Dolly Llama than six on a bead...but that's just me....that said I'd take two on a bead over none on a stripped Dolly llama.

Go get em

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Just a side note to anyone down there fishing. I'm trying to put together a DVD of fishing this year from park streams and the Kenai and anywhere else. So if you're down there and see a guy (me) with a camera strapped to my chest or one mounted to what looks like a ski pole stop by and I will take some video of you to put on my DVD for the years end! I'm not looking for an interview just some good quality fishing footage! Have fun everyone adn be safe!

I don't know about anybody else but I'll be fishing a mouse tonight
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Haha you and your darn mice monkey
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I don't know about anybody else but I'll be fishing a mouse tonight
    So what do mice bite on

Certainly an exciting way to get a strike, but a high percentage route it is not. (then again, spring would be the time to do it, but AKPM can't say that, he just has to leave it open ended....as if he's the only one that knows the "secret".)

So last year I actually had mice and dry flies out-produce beads, flesh and leaches... I'm serious

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Plus, ya'll gotta remember the monkey measures success by the quality of his experience - not numbers.

I've had trout chase mice, but haven't had any actual strikes or hookups. Largemouth bass are a whole other story.

I've got friday night off, so I can fish saturday. But it's not gonna be on the flippin' kenai, maybe next week.

We will bringing the whole box as usual. What we have found over the years is that every spot is a bit different when floating the bridge down. The upper slow section we have done well on Flesh flies. Then after the princess chute, ESL's have worked. Further down past that we get into smolt patterns. Once past the russian beads work as well as smolt and Llama's. Just a few things we have found
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

So I gave up on the mouse this morning... Caught my share of fish on flesh felt kinda dirty...

Hopefully I'll only have to fish subsurface a few more times this year.

And yeah its not about numbers, if it were about numbers I'd use salmon eggs, or beads. Its about catching them how I want to catch them (I've caught enough fish in my life).

Wink

So I gave up on the mouse this morning... Caught my share of fish on flesh felt kinda dirty...
    "dirty"
    If you want to get downright in the mud, next time out, use a bunch of "pinkies" instead of the adult. You will catch more than your "share of fish".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

(I've caught enough fish in my life).

Dude, you're like 23. Just enjoy being part of the forum and give helpful advice or none. These mundane comments are getting old.

With that said, I will be on the Kenai sunday fishing all sots of sub surface flies!

Default Fish

Hey monkey, You seem to know it all. ENOUGH SAID.

Yo cut throat AK, just bagged a king in Sitka. You should go hit my secret beary spot in a few days.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default bears

I'll be there...........

Did get a couple fish on dries today down south, made me happy. Caught a bunch of fish on the usual suspects as well... Nymphs and flesh... Not many fish in the Russian, salmon or trout, and very high water.

For the record, I just think counting the number of fish you catch is pretty stupid, and then putting it in your sig line is even dumber... If YOU have fun, and treat the resource with respect then you are good in my book.

Pinch your barbs, most of the fish I caught today had intact mandibles, would like to see that continue!

to bad there isn't any grayling in there, such a beautiful stream, but I don't think there is any room with the bows and such.......LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast