Thread: depth sounding transducers... Though hull Vs stern mount

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default depth sounding transducers... Though hull Vs stern mount

The wife and i are tentatively searching for a good used river boat, and one of the options i want is a bottom depth sounder. during my time on the barges running the Yukon we used through hull transducers in the sounding boats that worked well on step, but if i recall they are quite spendy to purchase and have installed... my boats in Valdez all had stern mounted transducers and i guess they are okay... but wonder how they will do here in interior rivers.

so i would like some thoughts on both... and some product reviews of what you use and think of it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Over the winter I installed my Garmin dual frequency T-ducer inside the hull, it was initially a transom mount, but I broke the mounting ears running it on interior rivers..DUH............

My boat is 1/8 thick aluminum and it seems to work ok, we were in Homer last week and I was concerned about how effective or accurate it would be, so at the last minute I mounted another identical one to the transom. Several times over the course of a week I switched back and forth to verify they were reading samo-samo and every time the numbers came up matching.

This unit was not intended for this but Music Man turned me onto the idea, Vexilar and Garmin both make Ducers to "shoot thru" the hull, I would recommend using the proper epoxy to glue it to the hull.

Vexilar sells it, not sure about Garmin?

Mine works up to 25mph, depends on water conditions for my hull, also you want to make sure there is nothing under or in front of it to disturb the water, in my case there was only one spot to stick it.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I've got a transom mount Airmar P66 dual freq w/ speed & temp hooked up to my garmin 340C.
    Its only a 500W fishfinder/transducer combo, but it holds the bottom while I'm on step in PWS to 750-800 feet, which I think is pretty darn good.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default I agree with AkGramps

I purchased a 2nd transom mount transducer and the special epoxy and mounted it inside the hull. A old commercial fisherman told me to do it, he said it works. I bought the 2nd unit incase it didn't, old school seeing is beleiving.
    I cleaned the hull real good, and the trick the way it was told to me is to have NO bubbles in the exopy under the transducer. The hull no sort of acts as part of the receiving end of the ping.
    Not sure why they charge so much for the "special one" but why pay when you don't have to!
    Other hint was carefully pick the mounting spot, so that even on step that part of the hull in in the water and no bubbles are formed before the transducers location.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the through hull ones i am familiar with require drilling a hole in the hull... and inserting the depth sounder through it so that it has a clear view..

if i am understanding you correctly sounds like yours is LOOKING through the hull? or epoxied to the bottom?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yes, epoxied and looking thru the hull.............
    How cool is that?

A link to Vexilar,

http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories...ducers_au.html

and one of Garmins,

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/deta...-10224-00.html
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Cool thanks Gramps... very interesting indeed... i always hated drilling a hole in a boat and $150 bucks is not that bad a price if it works as claimed....

meet on face book here

A normal transducer and the Vexilar epoxy inside the hull works great. Thanks to MusicMan for turning us onto this. Check out his past threads on the best way to test the mounting location before applying the epoxy (genius).

Default Does this work??

Thru Aluminum Hulls also? I have a second transom mount transducer on my boat in Valdez which is Aluminum. But because of the turbulance and bubbles when on step it doesnt always read right. Just wondering if you were sounding through Glass or Aluminum.

350SD

Look up my old posts! I'm shooting through .250 aluminum bottom. Best advice is to test the location first! Tested mine and it works at 49mph down the Yetna.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"