Thread: SBS Cabin Kits

Default SBS Cabin Kits

Unfit for year round living? I was told they don't comply with borough or municipality codes? Can anyone explain this a little further? Has anyone used these for year round living? I've seen some land that says it doesn't fall under any borough. I'm just really curious because that's the cabin I'd decided to use, only to find out it's unfit?

Default Depends on which kit

Warehouse Distributors used to sella kit for around 18,000 complete.
    It was tounge and groove 2x6 stacked on edge for the walls. Had to have steep pitch roofs as there was no strengh. I had heard they tendeded to bow outwards
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I looked them when I was planning mine. They seemed to use the least amount of materials possible. That can be good, unless you end up not having the strength to keep it up under snow and wind loads.

Who told you they are not to code?

Mike

I cant speak to the SBS kits meeting Muni codes but in the Mat Su Borough it would not be a problem. There are no "plan reviews" or building code issues enforced...just a fee collection...you know...

"nothing for something..."

I looked at their barn roof style cabin and was not impressed. Figure out your intended use, then design a floorplan that allows you usage, discover your foundation needs and stick build it. Remember to allow for snow load. My 12/12 pitch does not shed snow as well as I would have believed. Try www.countryplans.com for more ideas. Depending on your remoteness, the site built trusses work well and are strong.

Mike

Mike,

The guy who told me they didn't meet code woks at SBS, I don't remember his name off hand. Is it possible to use the kit but strengthen the support for the roof? This is putting me back to square 1 temporarily, so I'd like to get my ducks back in a row...

Many small things can knock you off code. In reality 99% of rural cabins don't meet code in some way.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Their cabins don't seem to be all that well insulated and would require a lot of heat during the winter months. I have stayed in 2 different (I think they were 20x24) during the summer and they are great for that. However, the roof/walls seems to hold up against the worst snow loads in Kenai and Glenallen. Structurally appear to be fine, but I think the insulation could be improved. I would think that there is someone in AK that stays in them all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Unfit for year round living? I was told they don't comply with borough or municipality codes? Can anyone explain this a little further? Has anyone used these for year round living? I've seen some land that says it doesn't fall under any borough. I'm just really curious because that's the cabin I'd decided to use, only to find out it's unfit?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    In reality 99% of rural cabins don't meet code in some way.

Heck, I bet 99% of homes in Anchorage don't meet code in some way.

Build it strong and stout with something you know about!

Stick framing is not hard. I have a book if you need one. I can show you some basics too.

Mike

Default Try Friesens

Ducks, take a look at Friesens Custom Cabins website. They have started offering a kit,which is just one of there regular cabin plans they've been building for years in jigsaw puzzle form. I have not personally been in one of the kit cabins,but Jay built my cabin & I'm very satisfied with the quality & the service.
    Buzzy

Thanks for that information, I'll be getting in touch with them later today.

WHat did you do? I bought the SBS kit 3 weeks ago and have not received it yet. A friend has one in talkeetna now since 93 and still looks great. Gate creek cabins are the sbs kits and I have stayed in them about 5 times in the winter and they feel great to me.