Thread: Pro Pulse props

Default Pro Pulse props

Prop test and plug for a good product.......

I bought a unused secondhand Pro Pulse prop for my 140 Johnson off of CL.

Finally got some time on it last week in K-Bay, put on some 250 miles and it worked great, its an adjustable 4 blade, this particular one adjusts from 15 -21 degrees. I started out at 17 and finally settled on 18. each pitch change is good for about 200 RPM.

Its some type of plastic composite and supposedly 40% stronger than aluminum, I did not have any prop strikes so did not test its durability in that respect.

I was missing some parts initially, I made some inquires to the manufacturer in Sweden and to their US distributor and they quickly responded and got me the correct parts. They provided some great customer service IMO.

Since the blades are adjustable they also can be replaced, for my prop the blades are $25.00 each. It takes 5-10 minutes to adjust once you have the prop off.

I intend to run this on the Tanana and Yukon as well, I will carry some spare blades, They are lighter and take up less space than a complete prop, cheaper also.

Can be run on two blades in an emergency to get you home.

They make the props for stern drives as well and so far I am happy and impressed with the customer service, thats worth a lot to me................

http://propulse.jetshop.se/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Yep, loved mine too....really woke up my 40 4-stroke. It was the difference in not being able to plane the boat with a load to jumping right on step. Did strike rocks on the Kenai and broke a blade...hub survived no problem. No a prop I`d run every day in a river but on the ocean it works wonders. Great way to figure out what works before jumping into the stainless relm.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Yep, loved mine too....really woke up my 40 4-stroke. It was the difference in not being able to plane the boat with a load to jumping right on step. Did strike rocks on the Kenai and broke a blade...hub survived no problem. No a prop I`d run every day in a river but on the ocean it works wonders. Great way to figure out what works before jumping into the stainless relm.
    I was wondering how they would survive a rock strike, did you damage only one blade?

If so, not bad as one blade is cheaper than a complete prop.........
    TR

Default Mmmmm adjustable

adjustable would be a nice feature, I have run the Piranha and have a few hard strikes, but never broke a shaft or hurt a hub, but like replacing the 1 or 2 blades verses the whole prop too.

Default 40hp

you used it on a small 40hp motor? it would be nice to be able to adjust for load when going out into the sound. I go out really heavy and come back medium..

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I was wondering how they would survive a rock strike, did you damage only one blade?

If so, not bad as one blade is cheaper than a complete prop.........
    Just one blade...the woman got my attention for a minute to look at something riverside and came a little too close to a known rock.

Quite a bit of vibes with just three blades running...at the time it was faster to just slap the aluminum one on and go. I carried 4 extra blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you used it on a small 40hp motor? it would be nice to be able to adjust for load when going out into the sound. I go out really heavy and come back medium..
    Yeah a 2002 Mercury 40 EFI. I needed it just for that purpose. The boat was a bit underpowered for salt action but worked well on lakes so it was an easy choice...just pop the 4 allen screws and hub cap out and twist blades to desired pitch and reinstall hub cap and bolts...done. I figured I`d burn more $$ on aluminum props trying to figure out the load thing and since it was going to be in the salt the most it seemed logical. If the motor sounded like it was lugging I`d run up shallow somewhere and hop out spend the 3 minutes adjusting and would be back in the right rpm band.

Default Great Spare Prop

I've got two of these for spares but have yet to test them... so thanks for the report. Also agree these are pretty sweet props... especially when working around rocky shores when prop strikes are possible... rather replace a blade(s) than ruin a shaft with my stainless.

I heard you have to be careful running these on 200+ HP motors (Mines 225). Don't want to put it under a lot of stress (e.t. gentle out of the hole)... heard of some instances of blowing them out... that would not be good. I've been a bit concerned of the colder water up here... making the (plastic) composites more brittle... not sure if that theory holds water or not, but something i've thought about.

~AKBoatR

Default easy to balance

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Quite a bit of vibes with just three blades running...
    One thing thats nice... you can knock the opposite blade off with a hammer (if you had to)

~AKBoatR

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    I've got two of these for spares but have yet to test them... so thanks for the report. Also agree these are pretty sweet props... especially when working around rocky shores when prop strikes are possible... rather replace a blade(s) than ruin a shaft with my stainless.

I heard you have to be careful running these on 200+ HP motors (Mines 225). Don't want to put it under a lot of stress (e.t. gentle out of the hole)... heard of some instances of blowing them out... that would not be good. I've been a bit concerned of the colder water up here... making the (plastic) composites more brittle... not sure if that theory holds water or not, but something i've thought about.

~AKBoatR
    They are made in Sweden and I doubt cold water would have much effect, I did break a adjustment fin on one of the blades the first time I tried it.

In their installation info they illustrate using the short side of a allen wrench to tighten up the two hubs, and they say not to overtighten.
    So I tried tightening it as much as I could and its not enough using the short end, unless you increase your leverage w/ another tool, not recomended.

I replaced the blade and retightened using the long end and working my way around until all torqued equaly and have not had a problem since.

The fin that broke is strictly used for "indexing" the prop during pitch changes and is not substantial enough to prevent the blades from rotating under a load.

Once the hubs are tightened up properly they are good to go, the amazing thing was they sent me a complete set of new blades.......................!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    One thing thats nice... you can knock the opposite blade off with a hammer (if you had to)

~AKBoatR
    What pro pulse recomends is to just remove the broken blade/s and use the two best blades.
    TR