Thread: Metal Jigs for saltwater salmon?

Default Metal Jigs for saltwater salmon?

Who uses them for Kings? For coho? Anyone in Southeast use them?

I am thinking for use from the boat. I have heard of this but never experienced it myself... sounds awesome.

Sobie2

ive only used some called a buzz bomb, worked great for silvers in pws.

Shoot yeah. I bet we catch over half our silvers and kings on Point Wilson Darts or their imitations. Just find the depth of the salmon and lower your jig to that depth and go to work. You'll get lots of hits on the drop so watch for sudden stops, and on the retrieve. If your line suddenly goes slack on a retrieve, reel like crazy and keep setting the hook till you feel the fish.

Here's an interesting note: I just put a new fathometer on my boat, a Lowrance Elite-5 with the 83/200 transducer. You can actually follow the jigs down and watch their motion in midwater as you jig them up and down. Talk about a CRAZY setup for midwater jigging and mooching. No more counting line pulls in my boat!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Shoot yeah. I bet we catch over half our silvers and kings on Point Wilson Darts or their imitations. Just find the depth of the salmon and lower your jig to that depth and go to work. You'll get lots of hits on the drop so watch for sudden stops, and on the retrieve. If your line suddenly goes slack on a retrieve, reel like crazy and keep setting the hook till you feel the fish.

Here's an interesting note: I just put a new fathometer on my boat, a Lowrance Elite-5 with the 83/200 transducer. You can actually follow the jigs down and watch their motion in midwater as you jig them up and down. Talk about a CRAZY setup for midwater jigging and mooching. No more counting line pulls in my boat!
    Yeah, when there's a school of coho down there I think you could put a hook on your house key and jig that and catch fish. They'll hit just about anything that imitates a bait fish.

One of my favorites is a BuzzBomb, like "snowcrab" said, and Swedish Pimples are great too. But I think you could probably take just about anything you see on a store display that will imitate a wounded baitfish as you're jigging it and catch fish.

And as "BrownBear" said, a good fish finder is an invaluable aid. You'll be able to see both baitfish and salmon that are hanging out down there and be able to pinpoint where you put your lure without having to do the "line pull" thing by just watching it drop on your screen.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Chartruse Buzz Bombs have worked great for me with silvers.

I think you'll have more trouble finding jigs that won't work than those that will. In 2-4 oz Point wilson darts, cripled herring, various imported copies, buzz bombs, etc will take kings, silvers, pinks, rockfish, p-cod, and if you can get them deep enough halibut and lingcod. Better yet with a med/heavy rod you'll enjoy fishing hard all day and getting a good fight with the various fish you can take.

I also like setting up a couple of my kids light weight spinning rods with buzz bombs. They're spooled w/ 10# mono but I like to use a 20-30# leader to keep from getting chewed off. Drift around points, cast the jigs out towards the point and retrieve them back to your boat. If there are coho in the vacinity, you will hook up.

I can catch just about anything on a crippled herring...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I love jigging with metal spoons, and caught my first king in the saltwater on a Crippled Herring, back in the day. I always do a few jigging trips a year, just for the heck of it. But, when I'm serious about putting kings in the boat, I'm not jigging with metal spoons. Trolling and mooching puts more fish in the boat.

Deadly Dick! Jig or cast.

Big_E

Ok so I invested heavily into some jigging gear... like the rest of my fishing arsenal. No luck yet on any salmon but have been actually catching some fish... cod, sculpin, various rockfish... its way fun for my 3 year old boy but I am waiting for some halibut and salmon (the real focus).

I have heard over the years that it isn't all that rare that a big ol' king will be caught while jigging for halibut with metal jigs.

sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I have heard over the years that it isn't all that rare that a big ol' king will be caught while jigging for halibut with metal jigs.
    Believe it!!!!!

Default Years ago....

My dad was fishing for halibut in about 200 ft of water and halfway down something stopped his bait then it let go. He reeled up and put on a mooch jig and dropped it down halfway, jigged once and hooked into a king. Ended up being a 50 lb fish.

Caught this silver while dropping a jig on a rockpile for rock fish.

It hit the hootchie that was about 18" above the hig on an assist hook on my leader.

Jigs are a great investment in saltwater tackle.

When ever possible I cruise up to a group of gulls on a feeding frenzy and cast my jig into the center. Just let it settle down 10-20 feet and jig it back. Wham!!! The silvers lurk just under those bait balls. Real quick way to pick up two or three silvers. Works good at Seward, and you never know what you might catch at Homer.

Grim Reefer - have caught lings, rockfish, silvers, halibut on em . . .

Default Crocodile

Crocodile, bought 30 in different sizes on ebay for $30, Salmon/Rockfish/Halibut