Thread: Flies to tie for silvers?

Default Flies to tie for silvers?

Hey guys im looking on some flies to tie for silvers... I know about ESL's and flash flies ect ect. Just wondering on what you guys would think is the best bet to load my fly box with. ESL, Battle creeks, polar shrimp,flashabous, maybe some kind of glo bug type form?

Ill be fishing with a 7wt and will be making alot of flies for this upcoming august for silver. Tonite im tying a TON of russian river flies as all of july i am hitting up klutina and the kenai so i need a steady supply of them flys.... Well thanks guys, Tight lines!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Thumbs down Chill out 'homes'

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slow down man.... Not yet! Enjoy the great bow fishing before its all jacked up by the salmon... Right now it is very much a traditional type of game. So dont rush this summer
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Haha me and AK Steelhead have been looking for 'bows but havent caught and real fish. Never really had any luck along the parks...
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Haha me and AK Steelhead have been looking for 'bows but havent caught and real fish. Never really had any luck along the parks...

Been killin them on the Parks Dont give up, those creeks are loaded. Heading that way in the morning.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Hmm any tips on what fly? Ill tell you what ive been killing them on around here of you tell me the scoop down there
    -Local 907 Riders Union

One thing I don't see in your fly box for silvers: Beadhead Woolly Buggers. Mostly #4 on 3xl hooks, in a wide range of colors. Easy and fast to tie in every color you own.

Can't tell you how many times my WB box has saved the day when the silvers "weren't hitting." Just start sorting through colors you'd never thought of trying before. Surprises? Lots. One of the best on bright days is olive with gold bead and rib. Kelly green with gold is right there with it. Black/silver is HOT on bright days, too. White with light blue hackle and silver bead is a midday sleeper.

popsicle flies work good too. I always go by the rule of thumb dark in the day, light in the am and later at night.

I really want to try this one! I got the Pic from the Juneau shop site. I'm going to tie my own variation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fly to Tie.jpg  

ESL, Dolly Llamas, Bunny Leeches, Clousers, and Woolly Buggers. Put either cones or barbell eyes on most, but leave a few unweighted. I personally hate flashy flies, I never have luck with them and it seems that more often than not it scares away the fish. Bunny fur is much more durable and easier to work with than marabou. As for color, purple, black, fushia, hot pink, chartruse, and olive will cover most situations.

Russian river flies are a waste of time to tye. A #4 gamakatsu with a little thread wrapped around it works just as well, if not better, and it takes a lot less time (and still qualifies as a fly, if you fish the russian).

Sweet! Thanks for the advice guys. I forgot abou wooly buggers. Tied around 20 olive ones. Might have to do some black ect. Hmm ill try the dolly llamas and see.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Hmm that junea fly is called a Coho kryptonite Sweet lil bugger
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Talking Clear Creek Flies

I use all the ones you suggested, I spruce them up will propellers on the front, what some call Pistol Pete's. They go crazy for them, especially chums

Big Fisherman:

I like pink, um...brighter pink and pink with flash.

I do second having some black in the box just in case pink, pink, pink or pink don't work.

FYI: I was getting hammered by greyling and a few trout along the Parks on Friday. Shoot me a PM and I'll discuss.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    I like pink, um...brighter pink and pink with flash.

I do second having some black in the box just in case pink, pink, pink or pink don't work.
    A wise man once said, "Any color will work for the coho, as long as it is pink"

Interesting! We get something less than 5% of our silvers on pink. We vary the color with light levels, water color, location and especially time of the season. Pink only "comes on" for us late in the season as the fish darken. On top and below the surface. My boxes of "polywogs" have every color of the rainbow, and pink is low on the list of effective colors compared to others. All those times you can't wog up a silver, switch to something other than pink and see what happens. Same when the bite is off on pink below the surface. Pink is fine when it works, but I want to catch more fish than that.

Here's another insight: Silvers really do learn. When everyone and his brother is throwing pink, they start to avoid it. Throw them something they haven't seen before, and suddenly the bite is on.

Hmm okay pink it is
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Silvers always (ALWAYS) bite. If you aren't getting them on one color, switch to another. When you go through all your colors, change profiles. If you go through all your profiles, change levels. If you fish all the levels, change presentations. If you have done all that and still not caught a coho, there are no coho where you are casting.

A few tips:

Bicolor (2 color) flies are coho triggers. pink/green is pretty popular, and white/pink or white/green is good as well.

If you know there are coho in a pool and slow retrieves haven't worked, strip like a maniac, the faster the better. Something about the high-speed retrieve seems to turn coho on, and you can't strip line in faster than they can pursue the fly.

Don't be afraid to fish tiny (sz10-14) stuff for lethargic coho. Dead-drifting small stuff in clear water is one of my favorite techniques, and responsible for many hookups when other folks have declared the fish "off the bite".

Yet another online resource from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods -The Coho - a User's Guide

Dang sweet! Thanks G Smolt that helped alot
    -Local 907 Riders Union