Thread: New 9mm Ammo Variations...

Default New 9mm Ammo Variations...

You can have all your different bullet weights, bullet constructions, etc....I want Small/Medium/Large!!

Seriously though, this is what I stumbled across from some ammo I purchased today at Sportsmans. UMC value pack of 250. This was near the end of the first tray and I was packing up anyways.

Guess this is a good reason to do a quick visual inspection of your ammo before loading it into your mags. BTW, these were all three in a row in the tray.

Gotta love the QC at UMC!

Heck, I might be able to put that brass on a trimmer and just shoot in in my LCP...

**off to the garage, dremel and cutoff wheel in hand***

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Heck, I might be able to put that brass on a trimmer and just shoot in in my LCP...

**off to the garage, dremel and cutoff wheel in hand***
    Considering the recent difficulty finding .380 ammo that might be the best route. You can tell from the pains UMC took to maintain minimum runout and consistent OAL that their dedication to quality ammo is obvious to all.

Has anyone else seen such ill manufactured ammo? I'm guessing that little bugger would be quite potent!!

You think Sportsmans would take it back? Or should I even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Considering the recent difficulty finding .380 ammo that might be the best route. .
    heck .380 has been easier to get than some others.

Hunt take it back to SW. Then you can report on their return policy
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

One of the ways to lower the cost and time of manufacturing ammo is to omit the case cannelure. That notched, circular crimp in the case at or slightly below the base of the bullet. this crimp keeps the bullet from being pushed in the case by final bullet seating operation, as was the case here, or when the round is loaded in the chamber. If those all weigh the same, that bullet has been pushed into the case. This also was aided by the lack luster taper bullet crimp. You probably shot several of them that were pushed in a bit.

This pushing of the bullet is a common problem problem in straight walled semi-auto ammo and can cause excess pressure from the reduced capacity. Another thing to watch and another reason to use quality ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Hunt take it back to SW. Then you can report on their return policy
    I'll try today if I have time...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You probably shot several of them that were pushed in a bit.

This pushing of the bullet is a common problem problem in straight walled semi-auto ammo and can cause excess pressure from the reduced capacity. Another thing to watch and another reason to use quality ammo.
    I likely did a few, but I can say that when loading the mags I never saw one as severe as the one on the far right.

Maybe a quick email to Remington is in order...just because...

I returned it to Sportsmans and they would only give me another Mega Pack. I took a peek at this bunch and they were definitely more uniform.

In the first bunch at the customer service counter, we found an additional 5-6 that were setback about as far as the middle bullet above.

I returned it to Sportsmans and they would only give me another Mega Pack. I took a peek at this bunch and they were definitely more uniform.
    That is much better than I expected hunt_ak. I assumed their store policy on ammo is "All Sales Are Final!" Nice to hear SW did the right thing with the exchange.

I returned it to Sportsmans and they would only give me another Mega Pack. I took a peek at this bunch and they were definitely more uniform...
    Well, I guess they weren't all uniform. I finally got through the rest of my 9mm and shot this 250 pack on Tuesday. Found another gem in the bunch. Pretty sure I'm done with the UMC...

Yeah, but for $50 for 250rds (that's my local wally world price) what yer expecting? They are cheap crap plinking ammo, just like a box of bulk 22s taht will likely have 5% failures in the box.
    Once heard it said (may even have been Massad Ayoob) that you should never use handloads for SD carry rounds. Let me tell you, with some of the crappy QC from all manufacturers, I trust my handloads much more than factory loads these days.

I see where you're coming from but I believe there are better 'value' ammo options out there. I had to shoot 1000 rounds through my LWD Timberwolf frame with the G17 upper on it for test and evaluation. I had some blazer, mostly HSM re-manufactured, and the last 250 was the Remington UMC. I had a few light primer strikes on the HSM, but I chalked it up to good tap/rack/bang practice. With the UMC, I had at a minimum of 3 (sometimes upwards of 10) malfunctions per magazine and it was awful trying to complete the test.

If I found a deal to where they were pretty much giving it to me, I might try the UMC in .40 S&W or something, but the 9mm in my G17 just sucks. Plus, no gross bullet setbacks with the other 'value' ammo I was shooting...

I haven't ran anything thru my xdm that hasn't went POP.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I see where you're coming from but I believe there are better 'value' ammo options out there. I had to shoot 1000 rounds through my LWD Timberwolf frame with the G17 upper on it for test and evaluation. I had some blazer, mostly HSM re-manufactured, and the last 250 was the Remington UMC. I had a few light primer strikes on the HSM, but I chalked it up to good tap/rack/bang practice. With the UMC, I had at a minimum of 3 (sometimes upwards of 10) malfunctions per magazine and it was awful trying to complete the test.

If I found a deal to where they were pretty much giving it to me, I might try the UMC in .40 S&W or something, but the 9mm in my G17 just sucks. Plus, no gross bullet setbacks with the other 'value' ammo I was shooting...
    I've started buying the UMC whenever wally world gets it in, as my zombie attack hoarding ammo!!! Seriously, just for range work. I have put about 500rds through my XD9 and Taurus 709 slim without a failure. The slim is really picky due to tight chamber tolerances - it hates winchester white box.
    Now I will check through my UMC boxes to weed out and bad rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Yeah, but for $50 for 250rds (that's my local wally world price) what yer expecting? They are cheap crap plinking ammo, just like a box of bulk 22s taht will likely have 5% failures in the box.
    Once heard it said (may even have been Massad Ayoob) that you should never use handloads for SD carry rounds. Let me tell you, with some of the crappy QC from all manufacturers, I trust my handloads much more than factory loads these days.

They say to use factory ammo for SD carry because of lawyers. If you shoot somebody with a handload it looks worse in the situation and court room they say. Nothing to do with quality control. Nobody in their right mind would carry UMC anyways! For cheap shooting, get a gun that will accept a .22 conversion, use your same trigger and lower as the big boy and shoot for lots cheaper. Just wasting money shooting UMC, the carry ammo will most likely shoot different anyways. I shoot what I plan to carry or hunt with. Now I use the .22 kit on the G20 for trigger practice and bunnies!

I have actually had GREAT results with the HSM remanufactured .223 rounds I shoot the ones they reload with the V max bullets and they shoot about MOA and I have yet to have 1 FTF and they are about 1/2 the price as the other stuff its good tho because most people stay away from them because they are " re manufactured' and that leaves more on the shelf for me