Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 LC, 454 Casull, 460 S&W ???

Default 45 LC, 454 Casull, 460 S&W ???

I am looking into getting a 45LC. It would replace a 44 Mag for a walking around weight to help me loose weight. I am disappointed in the selection of handguns available in 45 LC. First and for most I am a S&W fan. The grip angle is correct for me. When I draw and point I like the barrel to point down the road not at the road. Second I am of the persuasion that heaver/slower is better than lighter/faster when it comes to selection of cartridge/bullet. for example if I was going to punch holes in paper my 300 Win Mag works just fine for as far as I can see. If I was going to hunt for something my 35 Whelen with a 250g bullet is what I would take into the field. In a handgun I am more interested in what kind of a mess I can make at 20-40 yards as apposed to how much or little the bullet rises to reach 150 yards. As I see it I have several options non of which I am looking for. I could get a S&W 25 which would have the correct grip angle but would likely come close to failure after I got done smoking up the 45 LC to my liking. I could get a Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 45LC or 454 Casull & try to find grips that would change the grip angle. Never had much luck with that. Or I could get a S&W 460 that would fire all 3 cartridges in a larger package. I am more of a 5-7" barrel fan so larger isn't much of a problem. One thing that I was thinking of and noticed that SNYD also wrote about (454 Short) is taking 454 cases and cutting them back somewhere between 45LC and 454C length. More bang for the buck without the bang on the head if you are not paying attention. Also a little stronger web in the case to hold things together. Given that I can't expand the S&W 25,cutting and welding the grip on a Ruger is not a good idea, and can not shrink the 460 which is the way to go? Not that anyone on this forum is likely to have an opinion

Well, if you're in the Fairbanks area you can try out my 4" Redhawk 45 Colt with three different grips. Factory Hogue, Standard Ruger RH wood grips and a set of Pachmeyers. as far as the "454 Short" goes, remember, I'm only trimming that brass so I can cycle that big WFN in 454 brass in my levergun that would give me a little more case capacity. Modern 45 Colt brass is plenty strong enough for the Ruger only 45 Colt loads. No need to trim 454 brass. Starline is good stuff.

You could get a 454 or 480 Ruger SRH and have it cut down. Bigger boolit in the 480, different grip frame than the RH. Might fit you better.

Another option is to find a 45 Colt Anaconda. 4 inchers are scarce. 6 inchers are around.

Some guys like the Taurus 454's.

Then why not get a .460 and shoot .460 out of it. That cartridge will make a huge mess at the ranges you mentioned. Mine shoots the best with the longer .460 brass.... The .45LC and .454 stuff seems a bit short for good accuracy coming out of that loong cylinder. But, you can load the .460 brass down quite a bit. Or if you are using cast lead boolits, then trailboss powder is also an option. If you search the forum, you'll find info about it. It's cool stuff, and fun to shoot.

Default Small Platforms For .45 Longus Coltus?

Freedom Arms model 97 is the smallest gun that'll run warmish (300-350s @1250fps) Ruger level loads, the newer "enhanced" S&W 625's have held up well in my crew also.
    As mentioned, the Redhawk is tank strong and is capable of running current SAAMI level 454 loads in LC brass or you could rechamber to 454 length.

James Caan selected a Freedom Arms .454 Casull out of all options to kill a lot of tough space aliens under difficult circumstances. He knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Then why not get a .460 and shoot .460 out of it. That cartridge will make a huge mess at the ranges you mentioned. Mine shoots the best with the longer .460 brass.... The .45LC and .454 stuff seems a bit short for good accuracy coming out of that loong cylinder. But, you can load the .460 brass down quite a bit. Or if you are using cast lead boolits, then trailboss powder is also an option. If you search the forum, you'll find info about it. It's cool stuff, and fun to shoot.
    That is an option. I like the looks of the John Ross PC. The problem is it is like a Ford model T it comes in any cartridge you want as long as it is 500 S&W. There are several problems with shooting shorter cartridges in a longer chamber. The Army did studies that show when a cartridge is fired the bullet starts and stops 2-5 times in the barrel depending on the cartridge/barrel length. In your case a 45 LC has the same case dia. but is about 1/2" shorter than the 460 case chamber. The .451 dia. bullet makes the jump in a chamber that has a ring of space that is about .014" on all sides. Not great for a tight seal. The second problem can happen when the cartridge is fired it is generally on its side so depending on what powder and how much you use there may be an air gap at the top of the case. The force generated when the primer goes off is enough to force the bullet out of the case into the forcing cone (the first place the bullet generally stops). If there is more force on the top of the bullet base (air) than the bottom (powder cushion) the bullet can start a little off center with the bore. After the powder starts to burn the bullet will align its self but not in the way you want it to. Not so good for accuracy. The other problem is one of case efficiency. For every given case capacity there is a amount of powder where there is enough, too much, or not enough powder to be accurate and generate the power you are looking for. I like the idea of being able to fire different cartridges in one handgun Generally it doesn't work out the way I want it to. In your case you might try a larger dia. bullet in your 45LC case. As I understand it the 460 barrel is .452-.454 & your LC should be .451 so it might be banging around a little going down the bore.

Default 45 Carry better than 45 Short?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Well, if you're in the Fairbanks area you can try out my 4" Redhawk 45 Colt with three different grips. Factory Hogue, Standard Ruger RH wood grips and a set of Pachmeyers. as far as the "454 Short" goes, remember, I'm only trimming that brass so I can cycle that big WFN in 454 brass in my levergun that would give me a little more case capacity. Modern 45 Colt brass is plenty strong enough for the Ruger only 45 Colt loads. No need to trim 454 brass. Starline is good stuff.

You could get a 454 or 480 Ruger SRH and have it cut down. Bigger boolit in the 480, different grip frame than the RH. Might fit you better.

Another option is to find a 45 Colt Anaconda. 4 inchers are scarce. 6 inchers are around.

Some guys like the Taurus 454's.
    Snyd thanks for the offer. I am just a little far away to take you up at the moment. I will be in Fairbanks in July, I am not sure what my schedule is going to be like yet.
    I like the idea of a 454 Short. A little more case capacity to launch a heaver bullet, between 45LC and 454 Casull velocities and pressures, would be a great cartridge. I would think that a S&W N frame 1.2 would be a great platform for that idea. I like the looks of those 355 Hammers you cast. Where did you get the mold? It looks like Ruger only chambers the SRH in 454. If I could get a SRH modified to my liking then get a short chambered cylinder that I could chamber at 1.345" (nice play on numbers) then I would have a 45 Carry. If I then loaded it with the 355g Hammers I would have a 45 Carry A Hammer. Just a little wordy for a name. Also the 45 Carry would come before the 45 Short in any list so people would stop at mine & not get to yours If John Ross can sell 500 of the PC 500's I should be able to make 1 or 2 45 Carry's. Now I wil have to look into short chambered cylinders. Not likely to find the S&W N 1.2 yet, there is always hope.
    Colts are out. I had a Python. good looking but I didn't like it.

Lots of different 45 bullets not so many of the .475 variety.

alaskamonte:

I just don't do single actions. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag back in 1977, shot it about 30-40 rounds, didn't like the grip or cocking, so it is still in the safe somewhere.

Don't shoot many space aliens ether. If they didn't try to eat me I would try to go for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    James Caan selected a Freedom Arms .454 Casull out of all options to kill a lot of tough space aliens under difficult circumstances. He knows best.
    I really like the Freedom Arms "Field Grade" .454 Casull, with a 7-1/2" barrel, Magna Ported, my name etched on the barrel by FA, loaded with Corbon 335-grain hardcast ammo. I carry it in a Bandito bandoleer holster while I ride my ATV during moose season. Only use it for emergencies, or to finish a moose or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I really like the Freedom Arms "Field Grade" .454 Casull, with a 7-1/2" barrel, Magna Ported, my name etched on the barrel by FA, loaded with Corbon 335-grain hardcast ammo. I carry it in a Bandito bandoleer holster while I ride my ATV during moose season. Only use it for emergencies, or to finish a moose or something like that.
    You, me, and James Caan--we're all in good company.

I think I like my F/A .454 as well as any physical possession I own. It's not the most practical weapon for all circumstances, bit it failproof and sounds and looks like a work of art.

Smile .454 Casull

Why must you ask? A .454 of course! Oh.... and fired out of a finely crafted FA.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    You, me, and James Caan--we're all in good company.

I think I like my F/A .454 as well as any physical possession I own. It's not the most practical weapon for all circumstances, bit it failproof and sounds and looks like a work of art.
    Agree with you. The finish is just right, cocking the hammer is smooth and positive, the clicks the cocking mechanism makes have just the right tone, and the gun overall has a beauty that's hard to explain. It would be a little slow to shoot in a hurry, but at the same time it's easy to point in the right direction, which gives me confidence relating to hitting the right spot when needed.

Forget the 460, unless that is all you want to shoot in it. You wont get any accuracy out of 454 ammo in it, and 45 colt is like target shooting with a sling shot, honestly. it dosn't shoot lead well and is at its best with lightweight bullets. I own one I know.

on the contrary with my FA! It is without question the finest revolver made and the 454 will shoot 200 grain handloads more accuratly than the 460 with nearly the same velocity, it will shoot 45 colt ammo as good as 454 ammo, and it is in love with heavy bullets, 300 to 360 grains are perfect, and with this kind of performance your set from paper punchin, to protection from the most dangerous of game! My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCATTER View Post
    Forget the 460, unless that is all you want to shoot in it. You wont get any accuracy out of 454 ammo in it, and 45 colt is like target shooting with a sling shot, honestly. it dosn't shoot lead well and is at its best with lightweight bullets. I own one I know.
    That is 180* off my 460 S&W experience over the last 3 years, I now own 2 of them. If yours doesn’t like lead you likely have restrictive cylinder thoughts because both mime and all my friends like lead better than jackets due to the progressive rifling.

Mine are dead nutz accurate with just about anything I feed them and love my 395/405g cast loads just as well as a 200g. 454s and 45s shoot better in my 460s than they do in my 45s and 454s. My 460s would be the very last guns I would let go because they are the most useful guns I have ever used in 50 years of being a gun nut. They are field guns that fill the heavy protection handgun roll, hunt like a 45-70 with 405g and with 200g bullets have better range and accuracy than any of the hundreds of 30-30s I have owned . . . all in a holster packable 3 pound handgun!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default 460 s&w

Well I'm glad we got the S&W 460 part settled

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That is 180* off my 460 S&W experience over the last 3 years, I now own 2 of them. If yours doesn’t like lead you likely have restrictive cylinder thoughts because both mime and all my friends like lead better than jackets due to the progressive rifling.

Mine are dead nutz accurate with just about anything I feed them and love my 395/405g cast loads just as well as a 200g. 454s and 45s shoot better in my 460s than they do in my 45s and 454s. My 460s would be the very last guns I would let go because they are the most useful guns I have ever used in 50 years of being a gun nut. They are field guns that fill the heavy protection handgun roll, hunt like a 45-70 with 405g and with 200g bullets have better range and accuracy than any of the hundreds of 30-30s I have owned . . . all in a holster packable 3 pound handgun!
    Sounds like you have one that is different than the ones I've shot or own,it happens but mine is as I said. I expect a lot, but then I own 2 FA's currently, 5 over the years, and expect 1 1/4" @ 50 yards or better out of revolvers costing so much, my 460 S&W does shoot that good, but I barely get 2200FPS out of itw/ 200 grain FTX, it burns over 50 grains of XX powder, and it wont shoot under 1 1/2" at 50 yards, my FA will shoot 1" w/ the 200FTX at the same range at barely over 2000 fps, and only uses 36 grains of powder.

It shoots 340 grain just as good 1 1/8" avr. at 1600, the smith will shoot the same bullet at 1580 and shoot as good, if I up the load, I've taken it to 1800 and it shoots worse the harder I push it? No matter what alloy and am quite skilled at tayloring lead alloys and sizing lead, unless your throats are smaller than your barrel I will make it shoot!! the best it can!

I have less than 2" at 50 results with 454 ammo in my 460 and 45 colt wont do that at 25 yards, other than once in a great while, My Super RH will do -1 1/2" all day with 45 colt. my FA's don't know the diference under 1" @ 25, and at 50 1" - 1/4" lead or jackets!

By the way Smith don't make a 460 that weights less than 4 1/2 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCATTER View Post
    By the way Smith don't make a 460 that weights less than 4 1/2 pounds?
    Ya 3lbs was a phat finger miss, I meant 4lbs . . . but here is mine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

can you please help me with finding the molds you used to cast them. I have been looking all over for these with no luck.

Thanks in advance

Any One can direct youstruly to where I cound find casting molds for the sw 460

Quote Originally Posted by bobtorre View Post
    Any One can direct youstruly to where I cound find casting molds for the sw 460
    You mean boolit moulds? If so, ya, LBT, Lyman, Lee, Mountain moulds, and others make them as well. Check out http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Default not quite

I checked that sight and found little info. Can you give me a spicific mold and where I could purchase it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast