Thread: 35 whelen!

Default 35 whelen!

just got the new rifle in my hot hands! now, how to accessorize it? make loads for it? what scope do i want? a new rifle always reminds me of childhood, like getting a new bike, or other toy! guns are truly like barbie dolls for grown men?!?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    just got the new rifle in my hot hands! now, how to accessorize it? make loads for it? what scope do i want? a new rifle always reminds me of childhood, like getting a new bike, or other toy! guns are truly like barbie dolls for grown men?!?
    Nice cartridge!

Don't keep us waiting, we need rifle details.

Default details, oh yeah!

m 77 hawkeye all weather. first thing, getting the alaskan style iron sights installed, like on the 375 and 458. after that scope and load development. it just never ends!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    m 77 hawkeye all weather. . . and load development. it just never ends!
    The Whelen loves RL 15 with 225s or 250s. There are others that are nearly as good, but none better IME. Enjoy the Hawkeye.

Default thanks

i cant wait to try everything from the 200g partitions, to the 300g woodleighs i plan to order. ive been stocking up on components since i decided that the 35 whelen was gonna be the gun to replace my grandfathers 338wm. its gonna feel good to finally retire it to the safe, only to come out for periodic fondling. i shelved the 243 savage he let me have as "early inheritance" for a 270wsm so it feels real good to know that the old winchester can relax now!

I have a Ruger (old tang safety model) in .35 Whelen. I put a Leupold 1.75 X 6 on it, works fine but I'm leaning more towards putting iron sights on it and pulling the scope.

You are on the right track (in my opinion) with the TSX 225 grain and any of the 250 grain traditional bullets that shoot well in your gun. I don't have much interest in the lighter bullets. But that is just me.

Great caliber! Enjoy the gun!

Default I had

a Vari-X 2-7 on my mauser-actioned Whelen and it covered all bases. I had quick release rings and carried it in the woods with iron sights only unless I was specifically hunting and in open country. I tried a number of different bullets, being the inveterate reloader, but finally settled on the Hornady 250 gr. spire point or round nose Interlocs. Never had any problem with moose or bear as long as I did my part. The loads I used had a velocity of around 2450. That 35 cal slug doesn't need lots of velocity. I think the 250s are the best all around bullets for that cartridge. The 300s are more than necessary and the 225s give up some weight for unnecessary velocity. One hell of a round!

Default old ruger tang safety

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    I have a Ruger (old tang safety model) in .35 Whelen. I put a Leupold 1.75 X 6 on it, works fine but I'm leaning more towards putting iron sights on it and pulling the scope.

You are on the right track (in my opinion) with the TSX 225 grain and any of the 250 grain traditional bullets that shoot well in your gun. I don't have much interest in the lighter bullets. But that is just me.

Great caliber! Enjoy the gun!
    I have an old tang safety model in the Norma variety of .35 cal. Been thinking of getting one of those peep sights made for the Ruger from New England Custom Guns here:
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Anyone use them?

I have both the 35 Whelen and the 35 Ackley improve Whelen.. I use my 35 Whelen with 215 Grain and 225 grain Hornady Sp. BT. The Ackley improve is loaded with 250Gr. Hornady SP.bt.. The ackley improved is a tack driver but I am not satified with the accuracy with the reg. 35 Whelen.. I think it might need a better bbl. I load both with RE 15 with great results as long as you reload and test fire in the same temp. your going to hunt in.. I know the bottle says NOT temp. sensitive but I have reloaded in Washington State, test fired using a Chronograph and tried using the same Ammo in Arizona..****, almost ruin my rifles the rounds were so hot! Flatten and cratered primers with every round.. BTW both guns were made on CZ mauser actions..

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    I have an old tang safety model in the Norma variety of .35 cal. Been thinking of getting one of those peep sights made for the Ruger from New England Custom Guns here:
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Anyone use them?
    I have that peep sight on a Ruger International in .308. It is excellent!