Thread: What are these little bugs?

Default What are these little bugs?

Can someone tell me what these little brown bugs are? I can see them crawling and sucking on various plants around my garden. They are brownish black with a very round behind. They are about the size of the point of a pencil and jump when you try to squish them. I searched "the google" and came up with a flea beetle but none of the google pictures look like these little brown bugs. Help! These pictures were very hard to take but show what the bugs look like. They are very small.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those look like termites,
    Semper Fi!

Default termites...

don't jump...they look like an aphid type of insect...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    don't jump...they look like an aphid type of insect...
    would have to agree my tomatoes got infested with somthing like that last year...

when all else fails though.. you called it right...

there BUGS!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree with goalie. It looks aphidish to me.

High'Jack the thread time, now that we know what there most likely are, the question is......375 H&H or bigger......? Scope or NO-Scope.....? Should a Tomato Gun be carried with a cartridge in the chamber....?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    High'Jack the thread time, now that we know what there most likely are, the question is......375 H&H or bigger......? Scope or NO-Scope.....? Should a Tomato Gun be carried with a cartridge in the chamber....?
    oh spud guns.... been a long time since i made one... the last would heave a monkey fist and 200' of line to its end.. but alas.....work deemed it.. unsafe

hmmm aphid critters.. i would suggest a 1" PVC with stewing potatoes and a front bead sight just to be sporting... though the cherry Tomato is lighter it could suffer from premature rupture and cause barrel fouling if the wrong propellant is used... probably the max would be hair spray... but a small spud could handle ether products and butanes much easier giving the aphid hunter more muzzle velocity from the get go, as well greater range for wary previously stalked bugs....would also double as a yellow jacket nest remover with shooter security in mind
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

definitely a type of aphid. you can see cornicles (they sort of look like dual exhaust, a pair of tubes sticking out the rear end) which are unique to aphids.

lady beetles are your friends. might want to get some and release them. I recommend pouncing on every aphid you can find pronto, or else they will multiply rapidly.

There are various organic sprays, as well as the ladybugs mentioned, that are good medicine for these critters. Aphids are prolific breeders, and they -love- 'maters and peppers.

The color of these threw me a bit; the aphids I've seen are more whitish in color as a rule.

Default Beyond a doubt...

these are collembola (commonly called springtails due to their jumping appendage) from the family Neelidae. Technically they are not bugs (or even insects for that matter). Most species feed on fungi and decomposing matter in the soil and are harmless to your plants. There are a couple of species that will occassionally feed on living plants, but they are rarely pests.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    these are collembola (commonly called springtails due to their jumping appendage) from the family Neelidae. Technically they are not bugs (or even insects for that matter). Most species feed on fungi and decomposing matter in the soil and are harmless to your plants. There are a couple of species that will occassionally feed on living plants, but they are rarely pests.

Wow! You are an entomology genius. These things are creeping me out. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Oh man oh man....AGL4now and Vince you two are way too funny on this one. Sure glad I didn't have any lemonade or tea in my mouth when I read this....my laptop would not have liked it!!!

I think you two may need to head back to the hunting forum with those nifty guns though. hahaha getting out my pvc now, watch out kids...incoming spuds or marshmellows.