Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Time?

Default All Time?

The Trooper from Otz and a state biologist from Fbx swooped in together, and measured the wifes "Grizzly" skull. Pared down, and not much left for shrinkage, no lips, gums or cartalige on the skull base, to bone and "offically" measured like 3 times, its 24 7/16ths sq., and with a hide mesurement of 10'-41/2' squared, I looked up B&C and the most I came up with was "24, All Time"...................................So what does that mean?

They took a tooth and will let me know how old it is.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

means there have been 23 grizz recorded bigger then it

still a very nice bear though.. the wife has much to be proud of!!! 10' is a big bear by any standard
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cool eh?

The Troop said "Boon and Crockett, for sure!!!" like 3 times........

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtt...........(the sound of me comming to a halt)

The wife just did the B&C score deal again, with an inch or two or three added and it still says " All Time 24"..........

Could it be that its in the top 24 and not 24th? I donnooooo......just trying to get it right.

Even so, 24th is still cool......

First congratulations to your wife.
    I've been following your posts about this bear and have been curious to hear a somewhat official green score. Sounds like you've got one.
    So your saying 24 7/16? 24" is the minimum for entry in Boone and Crockett's Records of North American Big Game. If thats the case after the required 60 day drying period and assuming it shrinks just a few 16s it would qualify for the all-time listing. The minimum for the three year awards book is 23"".
    The current Worlds Record was a picked up skull from the Lone Mtn. area and it is nearly 28 inches. I believe 27 13/16. Your skull would rank somewhere in the high 600s or so I would think. As of the 12th edition there where 700 plus skulls listed.

The above photo is for comparison reasons and includes a bunch of average grizzly skulls in the 22" range with my 26 1/16 skull on the end. It just dwarfs an average skull.

Another angle.

I still am amazed that the hide from your wifes bear is as large as it is. That is a good foot larger than any grizzly this far north Im aware of but that don't mean anything. Freaks do exist.
    Again congratulations on a nice bear.

It's HUGE!

But seriously, congrat!

Right on. Remind the others what she shot it with again? Now that is epic right there.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Man Chip that is one big bear!

MARV1, she shot it with her Finnish Army issue VTK (Valmet) 1941 M-39 Mosin Nagant with Czeck Light Ball 147gr FMJ's.

Two shots, with open sights

She took that rifle with her tonight across the river, seems there were Black bear tracks around her fish rack today

Yup, cracks me up when guys on here post that they need a .338 or bigger for their bears which are less than 10'. Good on her! Moose season in 2 months. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Dang ya'll going to be trophy hunters now insted of meat hunters.I can just see the talk. Dear that bez on the cows left side don't look big enough.Better throw that shefish back it will look to small on the wall
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

So did the trooper ask lots of questions? Did you chase it? etc. etc. Is Hildebrand still the wildlife trooper? Why a bio from Fbks?

Just like I said, the large bodied bears don't produce large skulls........or at leat REAL LARGE skulls. You would think a 10 ft hide would produce a MONSTER skull.
    Grizz killer...........how big was the hide on the 26 in skull?

Now I would think your relatives in Mt. would just love to see that hide and skull. Grizz hides are legal to sell there too!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlykiller View Post
    As of the 12th edition there where 700 plus skulls listed.
    Do you have the 12th edition book? If so, I'll shoot you a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlykiller View Post
    I still am amazed that the hide from your wifes bear is as large as it is. That is a good foot larger than any grizzly this far north Im aware of but that don't mean anything. Freaks do exist.
    Again congratulations on a nice bear.
    Is this sort of a trend for western bears to get big in the body before the head? I expected at least mid to high 25's from that thing. A+ Stranger!!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    It's HUGE!

But seriously, congrat!
    Good one, FM

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Just like I said, the large bodied bears don't produce large skulls........or at leat REAL LARGE skulls. You would think a 10 ft hide would produce a MONSTER skull.
    Grizz killer...........how big was the hide on the 26 in skull?
    You would think...

Again, MT, is this an 'out west' type of thing?

Stranger, did they get the tooth for an age? Big griz I got was 16 years old. I'd be curious to see how old yours was.

Grizzlykiller, when you answer MartenTrapper about the hide size, did you get the age of your booner as well?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hunt first post mentioned the tooth.... it has been taking nealry a year for me to get information back on the teeth pulled here in Fairbanks... and that is with hounding the Bio for the infomation until it comes in...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hunt first post mentioned the tooth.... it has been taking nealry a year for me to get information back on the teeth pulled here in Fairbanks... and that is with hounding the Bio for the infomation until it comes in...
    Same here. Mine took quite a while and a few calls from what I remember, but that was almost 10 years ago...

MT,
    Darrel Hildabrant is elswhere, it was Eric L. hes been with us ( patroling unit 23) for 4 or 5 years now. This guy is as reasonable and savvy as Darrel, and not at all a problem, and I have delt with "problem cops" before. I wouldnt want to have this guy transferred, he has a good rep around here and is always willing to help solve problems, not just arrest and confinscate as previous FnG Trooopers were.....Bustin'Just....because he could mess with people

The hide IS most likely going to my dad in Montana, "Free", if he wants it, and the Skull to the School display .....Go Noorvik Bears!!!

I see Eric around now and then (often while HE is hunting) and Im sure he'll give me the word on its age when he finds out. He does well.

I ,too thought it would score in the 25, but with the gums, meat, catralidge cut away at the back of the skull and cheeks, it lost and inch and 1/2 all around, as well as some shrinking while drying up........

It is what it is.
    Even 700reth B&C would be cool.......

I think the REAL Trophy is: Your Wife......She sounds like a neat Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think the REAL Trophy is: Your Wife......She sounds like a neat Lady.
    I agree. Proof that a trophy doesn't have to be "HUGE".

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Same here. Mine took quite a while and a few calls from what I remember, but that was almost 10 years ago...
    Interesting so the bear was even older than you...

Congrats again SIASL

Talking impossible

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting so the bear was even older than you...
    Funny comparison (+1). I guess that feat is one I'll never accomplish at this point unless I can find that island they featured on that last Jurrassic Park movie...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast