Thread: Havalon Piranta Tracer or Edge (knife)

Default Havalon Piranta Tracer or Edge (knife)

Trying to decide which knife to buy. I like the edge because it's orange. But the tracer says it's more for caping. I want the knife for caping, and quartering deer and moose. Which blades do you guys recommend. I see that the 22x has a dull tip, do you think that makes it a better blade for caping?
    Thanks Tony

Get the orange one they use the same blades just a better chance of finding it if lost. As fo the blades I use the pointed ones, have both but don't use the 22x.
    Jay

Default you can never have too many knives

Just ordered an orange one today.

Go with the orange one. You can get both blades. Its a pain in the rear when you are wasting time trying to find your stinking knife when you set it down out in the woods or at home.

I use the tracer because it accommodates all the blades being offered. I wanted the orange one as well; but decided I wanted the versatility of the tracer with the variety of blades instead. You can always be creative and paint it orange.

all I know is I would love to get a suit made with the pattern of the non-orange version. I would be invisible!!

Get the Havalon Edge.

BTW the standard 22 is a great blade, I like it better than the 60XT. I don't know about the dull tip 22XT, but the standard works great.

As far as I know all of the blades work with the Edge as well. I've used a few different blade styles with my Edge without issue.

The Piranta Tracer-22 fits all of the blades in the 20 thru 25 range, plus the 22XT and the 60XT blades; I spoke with the Havalon rep and he stated the Edge can not accommodate all these blades; but I don't have personal experience with the Edge.

Default Sharp

Just keep in mind (especially while working inside an animal) - these blades are SHARP. I know from personal experience. I love my Havalon knife (I have the solid one - not a folding one) in part because I hate sharpening knives BUT I have cut myself with the Havalon knife and it isn't a fun experience.

BrentC, I'm curious why you dont like the 60XT blades...

I use mine for skinning furbearers mostly and I like the longer cutting edge of the 60xt's.

Phil is right, you dont want to be separating knee joints or anything that involves twisting the knife, those blades are razor sharp and brittle. I had one blade snap in half and embed in my palm while separating toe joints on a coyote last winter.

Great knives, if used for what they are designed for...

Both the 22 size and the 60 size fit fine on the edge model, personal experience. I like orange for the reasons noted.

I should have also noted that the big 60 size fit on the tracer as well, so it is up to you. You cann't really go wrong either way.

Default tracer

I have the tracer and use the 60 xt blades every day.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    BrentC, I'm curious why you dont like the 60XT blades...
    Personal opinion I guess. I have better control with the 22 blade, especially in tight spots.

Default # 60 blades

I have been using the Havel surgical and then the knives (when they came out) for many years.

I prefer the # 60 blades and always have for all work. Even cut fish up with them.

I got the orange knife when they came out. I have misplaced it even being orange ... any one seen it laying around?

I would also remember the blades are not that strong. Can't use them for prying or twisting. I still like to have a stouter knife along with the Havelon.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!