Thread: Alcan Hwy

Default Alcan Hwy

Im pulling a rv trailer to alaska and was wondering if someone could tell me about the elevation changes on that stratch of hwy, just so I can figure out how much time i should take to travel it. can anybody help me out with this

thank you

It might help if we knew where you are coming from and stopping in. It has been a while but the worst hills that I encountered were Mile 87 to Palmer Alaska. Caribou Creek is also a long pull I would say near to a mile.

I would believe that you would average 50 MPH in Canada and 45 MPH in Alaska. Subtract a MPH for every 1000 pounds over 5000# if you are pulling a trailer.

Mike

I'll be coming through Canada, Edmonton on 97 to 1 through Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Not bad traveling, I pulled 11,000lbs in DEC averaged 600 miles a day (long days) but not bad pulling.

Highly recommend you get a milepost. That book will give you most of the elevations you seek and all the other information necessary for a safe trip.

Most of the major elevation changes have truck lanes, don't be afraid to use them and be safe. Enjoy the drive.

www.milepost.com Don't drive the highway without it.

Default Tires

I know you didn't ask but I recommend carrying at least 2 spare tires for your trailer. You probably won't have the trailer over loaded, which I think causes most problems, but some of those stretches are pretty long between wreckers.

If you don't have a spare, and the means to install it, you might be in for a long wait.

Have fun on your trip!
    I can't wait to do that trip again!

Brian

well so far we have had a good trip we've traveled 1200 miles from alabama to wisconson to see my parents before making or trip West to Yellowstone then north to the boarded. Trucks been pulling the Rv pretty good. alittle to good I find my self cruising about 70 mph on the flats and using more fuel then I planned. so i need to slow it down to around 65 were i 'm have been getting around 8.5 mph or so a gallon. From my parents to fairbanks we are planning on slowing down a bit and only driving 8 to 10 hours a day. We are planning on stopping at Crazyhorse, mount rushmore, strugis, and yellowstone for 4 days then north.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    well so far we have had a good trip we've traveled 1200 miles from alabama to wisconson to see my parents before making or trip West to Yellowstone then north to the boarded. Trucks been pulling the Rv pretty good. alittle to good I find my self cruising about 70 mph on the flats and using more fuel then I planned. so i need to slow it down to around 65 were i 'm have been getting around 8.5 mph or so a gallon. From my parents to fairbanks we are planning on slowing down a bit and only driving 8 to 10 hours a day. We are planning on stopping at Crazyhorse, mount rushmore, strugis, and yellowstone for 4 days then north.
    I am not far behind you. I expect to hit the border on Saturday Morning heading to Anchorage. Taking the East Route in the Mile Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    I am not far behind you. I expect to hit the border on Saturday Morning heading to Anchorage. Taking the East Route in the Mile Post.
    sounds like your going to beat me into canada, we are going to take the east route aswell. keep me posted on the road conditions if you have a chance. also if you can post how the hills are through the passage that will help me out

enjoy the trip

see what I can do

Default July 10 or so

I am going to come up the east route around July the 10th or so...going to go up to whitehorse then up to Dawson and over the top of the top of the world highway...

Anyone know how much longer that side trip is? (I am coming back to Anchorage)?

Default Anyone need a boat or trailer pulled to Alaska

Does anyone need a trailer or boat pulled from Oregon to Soldotna or Anchorage Alaska, PM me if you do, I have 3/4 ton Suburban going up in a couple weeks. Wayne

Made it to Valdez. All road conditions were fine. Except for the portion between the borders. Rough Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    Made it to Valdez. All road conditions were fine. Except for the portion between the borders. Rough Road.
    good to hear you made it, i'm broke down with tranny issues grande prarie. transmission wont shift right . Im stuck until i can get to the shop monday to replace a silanoid

Don't forget to factor in headwinds.