Thread: 2-hook sliding rig

Default 2-hook sliding rig

Anybody got a website to show me how to tie the 2-hook sliding mooching rig?

I've looked at the pictures in the tide book for this rig but cannot for the life of me see how to tie that second, sliding, hook...

Thanks.

I know how to do it but I don't know of a site that shows it. Just snell the bottom hook like you would normally do on a long leader. Slide the second hook down the leader and then snell it on using a short (maybe 20 inch) piece of the same mono leader. Does that help at all?

As was mentioned, snell the bottom hook, and run the line through the eye of the top hook. Snell the top hook, with the line from the bottom hook being wrapped by the snell on the top hook. Tighten the top snell and clip the end of snell close to the eye of the top hook.

I wasn't able to find any google pictorials, but I bet you could find something on youtube.

Default Okay!

I think I have my (old) brain wrapped around this...I will report back on success or failure...

I actually found some good instructions with still photos on the web several years ago. I'll look when I get home to see if I bookmarked the site.

One thing I have found is the rigs are sturdier if the top (slider) hook is secured with some kind of non-mono line like fly-line backing rather than mono. The mono tended to self-destruct after perhaps only one fish, and the backing gives me a secure top hook without grooving the mono main leader. However, I learned to tye mine with an egg-loop knot rather than a snell (didn't know the snell then) and that may be a bit weaker than the snell. I also tye my bottom hook first, then the slider above.

Here's a link to a good set of instructions, though it's not the exact one I used to learn:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=112897

Chris

Default tide books

Some of the tide table books contain a page of fishing knots that includes this particular knot.

I love knot tying! Get five guys together, and they'll have ten RIGHT ways to tie the same knot.

I'm prejudiced by my upbringing, but for almost 50 years I've always tied the bottom snell last so I didn't have to work around it while tying on the slider. Learned to do it that way in the shop I worked in during high school in the 1960's. They only sold leaders they made themselves. Imagine finding a shop that did that today!!!

The biggest criteria we had was the quality of the eye on the slider hook. If the gap wasn't closed completely and aligned true, sooner or later it was going to cut a leader. Before teaching me the knots they gave me the job of sorting through boxes of 1,000 hooks to find the best eyes for the sliders.

Hooks are lots better today, but I can't break the habit of sorting. But even in premium hooks from all the best brands, I still see enough variation to make the sorting worthwhile.

Sort your hooks. Save a fish.