Thread: Hudson Bay on Craigslist

Default Hudson Bay on Craigslist

Craigslist has a Hudson Bay with motor for $6000 ... in Eagle River.

Saw that... for that price you may as well buy a real boat with a real motor!

the discovery for $400ish was much more interetsing. My wife said I should go get that one as a second canoe for the family.

This is after last fall I was on the couch for 3 days after spending $500 on a Canoe off craigslist. (albeight I didn't "consult" with her per say... the deal popped up and I grabbed it... she was out of town and not answering her cell...what was I suppose to do? She's never paddled by the way... still haven't gotten her out this year.)

Well its my boat, in like new condition. Priced what it would cost to get a bare hull delivered to Anchorage. With a 2008 Tohatsu 20 HP OB, with charging circuit,& accesory port. Very nice trailer with new tires & 2 spares. 12 gallon tank. Bought a bigger boat that the wife loves so gonna sell or keep the Scott depending on buyers market. I would rather keep it! It is so darned usefull & eficent, know I could not replace it at that price equipped like it is.

And I am talking to my bank to make it my boat! Sierra Dragon obviously has no experience with freighters! The HB will haul as much as fast as many "real boats" expect it will do that hauling in everything from the arctic ocean to the little su! KK Alaska has maintained the boat immaculately and I will be very proud to call it mine once the bank stuff is done.

PS Kurt I forgot Tracy has to work tonight, she needed to sleep in a bit so we will be meeting with the bank a bit latter than I thought. I'll be in touch before 3 pm either way. Great meeting you last night, thanks again!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Saw that... for that price you may as well buy a real boat with a real motor!
    They need a "pull my foot out" emoticon for posts like this...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default almost one of a kind, that setup is wonderful-good

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Well its my boat, in like new condition. Priced what it would cost to get a bare hull delivered to Anchorage. With a 2008 Tohatsu 20 HP OB, with charging circuit,& accesory port. Very nice trailer with new tires & 2 spares. 12 gallon tank. Bought a bigger boat that the wife loves so gonna sell or keep the Scott depending on buyers market. I would rather keep it! It is so darned usefull & eficent, know I could not replace it at that price equipped like it is.
    What a beautiful and perfect craft for so many uses. Is there any boat in existence that is more cost effective to move lots of stuff across the water? Stable as the day is long in June, and beautiful to boot.

I love my Albany with Tohatsu, but your boat does turn my head KK.

I watch craigslist regularly for Scott canoes (that's where I bought mine) and have never, ever, ever, even once seen one there in many years.

If someone wants to get into freighters, this is your chance to do it right. Good luck KK whichever way this goes.

Talking No I'm well aware it's a fair price

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    They need a "pull my foot out" emoticon for posts like this...
    LOL Actually there was suppose to be one of those winky things after that but sometimes when you reply using a mobile phone things go wonky.

My bad

I'd take the scott with the motor over a duckboat/Jon boat or any of those other monstrosities running the rivers here any day. its about the perfect river boat for Alaska. Besides dissing a Scott is considered treason where I come from.

and for the record my idea of a REAL boat would cost far more than 6 grand, and wouldn't fit on a river.

I really hope kk Alaska doesn't mind but I am very excited! Just got the OK from the bank and I plan on picking up the boat tomarow evening. I could not be happier! As far as Tracy and I are concerned we are getting a great deal on the best craft for our family. We already have several trips planed and I have been pouring over the topos looking for more places to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

That sure looks like a nice ride, Rick! Congrats. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you take a boat like that out in the bigger rivers like the Big Su, or do you have to stick to smaller/slower rivers and lakes? Would it be safe to take it out someplace like Resurrection Bay for silvers? I've never set foot in a freighter so I have no idea what their limitations are, but they sure look intriguing!

I'll answer it for yah Rick, and congrats btw. I just did 170 river miles of Yukon River and other smaller tributaries with my Discovery Sprt 17.5 footer. I was loaded down with about 800 lbs and went all over the yukon with a 9.8 horse tohatsu. The fast rocky tributaries of the Yukon, and with low water........is good country for a small mud motor (long tail or surface drive). I'm not done with this trip yet, but after it's all said n done......it'll be about 300 river miles after I do a bit more exploring. This low water is very hard on a regular outboard though on some of the smaller rivers. Fires seem to be everywhere up here, and it's quite thick in the air. You really need to line, and pole. So far with my smaller six horse motor......I've broken 5 sheer pins. Lot of jumping out of the boat and lining up river, poling, and firing the motor back up for the deeper water sections. been up the nation, the kandik, and in a couple days......the charley. The two motor technique is the best way to go. A big tohatsu for the mighty Yukon, cache fuel and motor near the mouths of the smaller rivers and switch to a smaller motor for the swift, rocky, "beat ur motah up rivahs". For a hudson bay......a nice mud motor would be a must for the crazy, rocky rivers, but nothing beats a prop-driven outboard for the Yukon though......ease of use, fuel economy and comfort I would not want to run a mud motor for miles upon miles of yukon, it would wear you out. I've suffered no serious damage on my crosslink-3 hull, really tough stuff and drags good over 2 in deep shallow riffle. I really wish I had an esquiff with no keel though as compared to my discovery for paddling back down the class 2 and class three sections of river. Rocker and no keels are a good thing. Fiberglass would have suffered alot of damage with this low water, but easily repaired too. I've never even seen a single other boat since ive been on the water. This yukon river and it's tributaries is prime country for a square sterned canoe, but it grows on yah to a point where i'm sad i have to leave, I really don't want to come back to anchorage.

Corn

Natives over in Canada hunt seal out of them all the time, I am planning trips on the arctic, PWS and kachemak bay. There are also sight seeing tours using them in Canada in the waters of the bay of Fundy and Hudson bay, where they haul 12 visitors and 2 guides. Resurrection bay would be easy. They shine like diamond on big rivers like the Yukon and big su. They were designed to haul lots of weight in any kind of water very efficiently and they do it very well. When I lived in Michigan I had a dream to duplicate the old french trappers route from lake superior to Hudson bay, still have all the topos somewhere. I am frankly surprised we don't see more of them here.

Drop me a pm and you can take a ride in mine sometime, caution though, you will want one for yourself afterward!
    BHA Member

Rick,

That is a fantastic setup! I'd put a lift or permanent riser on the stern for the motor to get it a bit higher out of the water...but other than that you're good to go and we need to get you up here one summer.

Mainer is here now and we're having a good time. But the river was super low for his trip up, plenty of draft horse type of pulling over the shallows. Congrats!

Default tough

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Mainer is here now and we're having a good time. But the river was super low for his trip up, plenty of draft horse type of pulling over the shallows. Congrats!
    He is one tough guy; that's for sure. Of course he probably made his helper do a lot of the work.

Default Kanoe people ltd.

Does anybody know if they offer used scott freighters??

Default Hudson Bay canoes

I talked to Pat from Scott canoes ( Hudson bay, James bay, Albany etc,) and he said they are really behind on the orders for this year.
    the orders I placed are still not completely done, as last week one of the boats was still in the mold..
    For some reason they had a huge run on orders for the Hudson Bay boats, I think he said he had 14 ahead of my orders. We are picking up 9 canoes in Calgary Canada from Scott canoes that should be here by the 20th or so of this month. ( these are my Huron model double enders for my canoe fleet) The frieghters will have to be shipped all the way from Ontario in the next few weeks.
    Our plan is to have a few more of these boats here. I had one guy want one of the James bay boats, those weigh 450 lbs but are amazing freighters for sure. Chris from Valdez ordered a nice Cranberry Hudson bay, that is set up with the splash rails, and kevlar keel guard etc.
    As far as used boats go? Not sure, but nothing on craigslist in Whitehorse, or the local paper either..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Well Rick pulled out of the driveway with his new HB am going to miss it! Nice to see the enthusium of the new owner! Saw this one when I did a search nice setup.
    http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1763797949.html

Would cost some fuel to get it here and would prefer the 20 HP for our uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    As far as used boats go? Not sure, but nothing on craigslist in Whitehorse, or the local paper either..
    Max
    Craiglist hasn't caught on in Western Canada near to the extent as it is here, Most Canadian cities however will have a local buy/sell group on yahoo or some other similar site they may be there but it will be more difficult to find them... try switching a search to google.ca and limiting your search to Canadian sites...that may help.. Whitehorse... not much of a population center you will probably need to go further afield the the Peace Country, Edmonton, Red Deer or Calgary craigslist sites to find anything... the Calgary one is probably the most useful...

unfortunately most Canadians won't sell thier Scotts once they get them. they will sit in garages forever

KK alaska thanks again! The HB trailered very well. Tracy had a hard time turning in after work this am, she's almost as excited as I am. Plan is to putz around a lake a bit this afternoon and get used to the boat then do an easy river run tomarow.

Sierra Dragon
    Keep an eye out for my posts, don't think you'll find my freighter doing much sitting!
    BHA Member

Default US too

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    most Canadians won't sell thier Scotts once they get them.
    Same for Americans.