Thread: Xtratuffs for hunting

Default Xtratuffs for hunting

When I couldn't find a job after finishing college, I decided to travel up to your great state instead of my other prospect, working at a gas station in Montgomery, Alabama. have an adventure, I thought. I ended up in Seward pushing retort carts at a cannery all summer and although the job mainly sucked I remember it fondly. One of the things I remember was a pair of brown Xtratuff boots I wore then. I couldn't take them with me on my travels when I left Alaska and I donated them to someone at the cannery who was coming back the following year. Boy, them were some comfortable rubber boots.

I am in Alabama now and since my North Face Baltoros fell apart (POS) I decided to look for other footwear to purchase. I though of my brown boots and since nobody knows what they are here in the South, I turned to the Internet and saw Xtratuffs for sale on Ebay.

My questions are:

1) Do you guys hunt in Xtratuffs?
    2) How do they hold up in cold weather? (the insulated kind)

Alabama gets at the coldest maybe 20 degrees, which for you guys are nothing but we are used to our warm weather and like our pink piggies nice and toasty.

Anyways - what are yall's thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by efendi007 View Post
    My questions are:

1) Do you guys hunt in Xtratuffs?
    2) How do they hold up in cold weather? (the insulated kind)
    1) Yes, just keep in mind that they don't provide very good ankle support. Climbing mountains might be better done with a different pair of boots. But yes, I hunt in mine. I've hunted, bear, deer, goat, moose, caribou, all in my boots.
    2) They typically don't provide much warmth. But I suspect that with a good heavy pair of socks and insulated xtra tufs, you'd be warm enough for Alabama. They hold up just fine, but your feet might not. Theres been a few December days in the skiff where my feet were fairly unhappy with their situation.

Would not hunt SEAk witout them.They are also great for weddings and going out to eat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice AMIGOWILL! hahaha

Yes, that is my footwear of choice when in SE AK in fall winter and spring. I have hiked to the top of mountains in mine, making sure that my feet were not sliding around too much inside the boot. Insulated ones are good for moderately cold weather (down to 10 degrees i'd say), but as long as you are moving, they keep ya pretty warm.

They do lack in the ankle support area, but theres usually a lot of room for a compression sock or an ankle brace of some sort.

Hope they work out for ya in ALABAMA.

Default On the ground feel

I like the feel of em when working low elevation thick vegetation. They keep my feet dry and cozy. The beach walking is great with xtra tuffs. I've got two pairs, one regular one insulated. I usually only use the insulated onboard my boat when I'm not hiking much. They are great for watercraft. So if your hunting out of a kayak, excellent.

Deep in the woods and for extended stuff I go to a mountain boot.

Believe the ankle is loose so they come off easy if you fall in the water. On the flip side if postholeing through the muskeg they can also come off easy there
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I hunt in them anytime it's wet done lots of walking in my steel toed tuffs.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I have 2 pair I wear often hunting. I've really come to enjoy wearing the pair with built in corks. They're great on sloppy hillsides and running wet logs. I just don't like wearing the corks on rocky beaches. I also leave both pair home for goat hunting. Too hard on the arches and ankles.

Default I also leave both pair home for goat hunting.

I like to feel my toes wrapping on the rocks while goat hunting!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I like the feel of em when working low elevation thick vegetation. They keep my feet dry and cozy. The beach walking is great with xtra tuffs. I've got two pairs, one regular one insulated. I usually only use the insulated onboard my boat when I'm not hiking much. They are great for watercraft. So if your hunting out of a kayak, excellent.

Deep in the woods and for extended stuff I go to a mountain boot.
    'Horse, do any of you SE'ers use a muck/Lacrosse mud boots?

The classic Ketchikan Sneaker.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Try Muck Boots

I have wore Xtratuffs for 15+ years Commercial fishing and in the woods hunting the east coast, anything to all day bird hunting to sitting in the deer stand. They are a good boot, but for sitting in the cold my feet still got cold after a while. I started using Muck boots a couple years ago for hunting and are the warmest boot I have ever had, and very comfortable. They are warmer than any pack boot I've had. I would wear them fishing but the soles do not have the grip that the Xtratuff's have, if they changed the rubber they would defently give Xtratuff a run for their money in the Commercial Industry.
    Either boot are plenty warm for winters, but going to be to warm for early hunting seasons, I will say the muck boots vent better.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    The classic Ketchikan Sneaker.
    +1 for Ketchikan Sneakers.

Default Muck Boot

I do have a pair of Muck Book and put em through the paces on Kuiu this year instead of the Xtra Tuff. They are ok but I wasn't satisfied with the traction on wet beach rock. The Neoprene also doesn't hold up well on sharp surfaces. They didn't get ruined but certainly showed some wear after a serious hunt.

And I thought those were "Sitka Sneakers" boys.

Default Hip Boots

Rather than wear Xtratuffs, for most tundra hunting situations, I prefer LaCrosse ankle fit Big Chief Hip Boots. Pull 'em up on the windy days or when crossing water. Fold 'em down on the warm days. Properly folded, two big folds down and one little fold up to make then snug around your calf (ya got tp see it to properly explain it), you can hike for many miles. I prefer an inner sole to take the edge off the rocks. And yes, your feet will get as warm and sweaty in hip boots as they will in Xtratuffs, but the positives outweigh the negitives.

And one more thing about hunting in cold weather in Alaska. 95% of the hunting in Alaska done by 95% of the hunters in not done in really cold weather. (What is really cold weather?) Late season sheep, goat, moose, and caribou hunters occasionally encounter snow and really cold weather, but the vast, overwhelming amount of our hunting time is in moderate temperatures often well above freezing. Keeping meat cool is gererally a bigger concern than keeping your "pink piggies" warm. My client hunters from Michigan and Wisconsin are always amazed that their stateside hunting is almost always done in harsher, colder weather than here in Alaska. (Although we win in the rain and wind departments.)

This hunter-guide, and all that I have ever known for 30 years, lives in hip boots three full months of the year. Xtratuffs, the South-East Alaska sneakers, are fine while in a base camp.

Dennis

Of all the boots of this type I have tried over the years, X-tra Tuffs are the best I have used. They are fairly comfortable (for a waterproof boot) and extremely tough. I have a pair I have been wearing for nearly ten years, never had a leak and I have put a lot of hard miles on them. If you expect to get into much water, they are the best boot out there, at least that is my opinion.

They don't fit me, so I've never been able to wear them. Hard on my feet and they won't fit over my calves. LaCrosse Burly for me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    ... I thought those were "Sitka Sneakers" boys.
    Sitka Slippers.
    Juneau Tennies
    Ketchikan Sneakers

They're good for what ails you. At least in the rain forest they are.

I love them for climbing mountains. I had some question as weather they would be good for goat hunting but after two goat hunts I wouldn't use anything else. I like my ankels to bend while I am sidehilling, I tried some boots with a lot of ankle support and almost killed myself on a alpine deer hunt. Xtra-tuff all the way!

This was covered a while back before I went on my first goat hunt.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50992