Thread: caribou transporter suggestion

Default caribou transporter suggestion

Could someone give a quality suggestion on a good transporter for the porcupine/fourty mile herds or for the WACH. I'm looking for a secluded hunt for myself and another.
    thank you.
    Justin

I got 1 reccomendation for RAM air. Any yays or nays on them or any otehrs I might look into?
    Justin

Default Fortymile Air out of Tok

For Fortymile caribou, highly recommend Fortymile Air out of Tok for a drop-off hunt.

thanks mark
    Justin

I see posts on here from successful fly out hunters hunting the 40 mile herds area. From what the posts show, they do not see large numbers of bou, but do see adequate bulls. Hopefully a transporter familiar with an area will have ideas on where bou are.
    The largest herd up here is WACH. IMO you would do well to go with Brooks Range Aviation or Bettles Air. Both out of Bettles. They can get you into unit 23 or 26. Generally good hunting in both units, but dependant on migration.
    I recently heard from a F&G guy that the porky herd is spending more time in Canada. Even calving east of the border.
    There are good fly out hunts from places like Coldfoot and Deadhorse along the haul rd.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Adventures,
    I will be offering super cub service into ANWR this fall. there are 200,000 caribou up on the north side, they are getting out of control. I will be flying hunters out of galbraith lake. Nobody really knows me here, but I can guarantee you I will do what I tell you I am going to do.I can't guarantee you will kill a caribou, but I can guarantee you I can get you in and out safely. you can check out my website for more info. www.bushwackerair.com
    If you are interested let me know.
    Thanks
    Jeff Kruse
    Bushwacker Air

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker Air
    I will be offering super cub service into ANWR this fall. there are 200,000 caribou up on the north side, they are getting out of control.
    Jeff, what do you mean by the bolded/underlined quote?

FYI, the new Comprehensive Conservation Plan commenting period for ANWR just closed. I spoke with a lot of folks about concerns they had, and many expressed that there were ongoing problems in the NW part of the Refuge from what they believe are too many air-taxis/transporters operating out of Happy Valley and Galbraith Lake dropping off too many hunters too close together, and it's causing numerous conflicts. And they fear that the new increased bag limits for Unit 26B will exacerbate those problems.

Wondering what your policy is on how many hunters you will drop off in ANWR, and how close together you put them? Are you seeing some of these problems others have mentioned?
    Thanks,

Default Happy Valley

First there was enough air taxi's, guides and clients out of Happy Valley, kavik, dead horse, ect., to place plenty of pressure on the herds. There are no caribou that are out of control and after hunting the herds for the last 5 years, I think there was already enough pressure, between the airboat guys, bow hunters and the fly-in crowd. I've never seen big groups during Aug like you would see in the other herds. And I think raising the limit to 5 Bou is a big mistake and going to really damage the hunting up there, cause we all know how the crowds are attracted the new hot spots until they are shot out. I almost think the state wants to wipe out the entire state, so they can push for a intensive management and draw system. I love hunting and flying in the area, and spent days last year just flying and can tell you that most of the strip that could land someone on them that was not a super cub had a camp on it. I just hope we don't over hunt them like the Mulchatna. By the way the answer to the orginal question would be to call Mike of Alaska Bush Sports, or second I would give Jeff a call if I going later in Aug or Sept as the Bou tends to stay near the coast until it starts cooling off and heading south towards the mountains about the middle to late part of Aug. Did I say there was enough pressure on the herds, and you might see small groups, but dont expect to see thousands.

Terry

Hey this looks like fun. Some guy wants to know of a good transporter for caribou and instead, we are gonna bash transporters!
    I'm in!!
    Terry........too many guides, transporters, fly out hunters? You been hunting up there the last 5 years? Sounds like YOUR part of the problem.
    Bushrat, you talked to LOTS of folks. Man that little generator that runs the computer must be going 24/7! I been around some of those ANWR folks in the past, the commercial float trip ones. They all think there's too many of themselves but none want to back out.
    Bushwacker...........welcome to AOD where no good transporter/guide goes unpunished!!

Overhunt the Mulchatna? Geesh. Let's see, back in the 90s the Mulchatna herd was around 250 thou. It ranged from Illiamna to Togiak and Dillingham to almost McGrath. But now it's what, less than a 100 grand? And we SHOT them out. Overhunted them!
    Yea, right. Bou herds been increasing and decreasing since before a human stabbed one with a spear, but now we kill them all!
    There's no way human beings, hunting for a month or 2 each year, killed enough of those bou to significantly contribute to it's decline. There's also no way that humans are going to significantly effect the number of bou in the Central Arctic herd. Remember, your all hunting "fair chase" so you couldn't do anything wrong!!

Hi Guys,
    I was just making a joke about the getting out of control thing. As far as the pressure thing, there is quite a bit of pressure in that area. I am sure I will be adding to it. But with that said I think there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. One of the first things I tell people when they call Is that I won't drop them on top of anybody. I would not want somebody to do me like that. I think there is something like 36 guides on the wood river, here south of Fairbanks. Talk about pressure. Have you been down to bristol bay lately? There is a beaver or an otter on every river.
    When I was guiding down in bristol bay, If I flew to a river where there was an airplane and people fishing, I would just move to another area. Thats the good thing about alaska, lot's of country. The fishing might not be quite as good, but people enjoyed it just the same.
    I think they could increase the limit to 10 caribou per person and it would not make that much difference.
    I have been hunting in alaska since 1992, I can't even think of one sport hunter that I have talked to, that has taken over two caribou. Thanks Jeff

Default My 2 cents

Just for your information, most years I chose not to shoot any caribou, but I do love the Arctic and the scenery it has to offer. Most years I could shoot Caribou right from my camp chair and fill the plane with patience(because I dont mind alot of flying to find the animals, and I know most of the places I should be able to find them, and spend 2 weeks), but still I have only shot 2 bou in 5 years(to help feed my family), so I guess I'm the problem. And yes, 14,000-20,000 herd bulls shot each year for 15 years out of the mulchatna did hurt the 250,000 animal herd, witch was down to 40,000 Bou, last official time I checked. And you all tell me, how is the hunting now down in bristol bay. I have been hunting on and off down there for the last 15 years, and the are alot fewer Bou, fewer moose and despite common belief, the same amount of bears. And I fish down/camp down there almost every year. And Jeff, some of my friends only eat wild game meat(like my wife system not being able to handle production pork or the chemicals in the beef) and will shoot the legal limit to feed there families, and are considered sport hunters cause they live right outside of Los Anchorage, but with the limit being raised to 5, I'm sure next year alot of the hunters will come your way. Remember allot of nonresidents still are not aware of the changes because the new reg's arent out yet. I figure there will be about 5 years of good hunting left without being west the hulahula because of the cost. And besides the WACH in the 90's and a few years in the early 00's, I don't know of many places where sport hunters or non residents could shoot more than 2 bou. And Martentrappen, I think I did make two recommendations on the subject to the thread, did you or just chimed in to question my hunting ethics or should I question yours, because it comes from a man who does not even sign his name to his post.

Terry

Hey...........Terry...........you live in Chugiak. Your one of those guys Homerdave was referring to last winter. You go up to the slope and interfere with the subsistance "opportunities" of locals!
    Sorry Terry, if there are too many hunters in a place, and you are also hunting that place (kills to not) then you are part of the problem. If it is OK for you to hunt there, if your one of the good guys, then it is OK for anyone else to hunt.

Got any proof, referances for that 14 to 20 thou figure. I bet that's a BIG exageration.
    How many herd bulls are getting taken yearly from the Central Arctic herd. Maybe bushrat can help with that.

I think it's great your enjoying yourself Terry. Hope it continues. No problem from me to hunt anywhere you want. I do have a problem with guys who hunt an area, but say everyone else is the problem.
    Will it make my post more valid if I sign my name?
    Mike
    Is that better?

Default Jeff, thanks for the reply

Mike (martentrapper), was no transporter bashing at all...only relaying what I had heard about crowding complaints and conflicts in the nw portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Thought it would be good for others to hear Jeff's (Bushwhacker Air) policy on drop-offs, appreciate the reply Jeff and your own ethic on not dropping off folks on top of one another.

Oh, and Mike:
    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    Bushrat, you talked to LOTS of folks. Man that little generator that runs the computer must be going 24/7!
    Been using solar for over twenty years now, hardly ever run the generator in summer dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just for your information, most years I chose not to shoot any caribou, but I do love the Arctic and the scenery it has to offer. Most years I could shoot Caribou right from my camp chair and fill the plane with patience(because I dont mind alot of flying to find the animals, and I know most of the places I should be able to find them, and spend 2 weeks), but still I have only shot 2 bou in 5 years(to help feed my family), so I guess I'm the problem. And yes, 14,000-20,000 herd bulls shot each year for 15 years out of the mulchatna did hurt the 250,000 animal herd, witch was down to 40,000 Bou, last official time I checked. And you all tell me, how is the hunting now down in bristol bay. I have been hunting on and off down there for the last 15 years, and the are alot fewer Bou, fewer moose and despite common belief, the same amount of bears. And I fish down/camp down there almost every year. And Jeff, some of my friends only eat wild game meat(like my wife system not being able to handle production pork or the chemicals in the beef) and will shoot the legal limit to feed there families, and are considered sport hunters cause they live right outside of Los Anchorage, but with the limit being raised to 5, I'm sure next year alot of the hunters will come your way. Remember allot of nonresidents still are not aware of the changes because the new reg's arent out yet. I figure there will be about 5 years of good hunting left without being west the hulahula because of the cost. And besides the WACH in the 90's and a few years in the early 00's, I don't know of many places where sport hunters or non residents could shoot more than 2 bou. And Martentrappen, I think I did make two recommendations on the subject to the thread, did you or just chimed in to question my hunting ethics or should I question yours, because it comes from a man who does not even sign his name to his post.

Terry
    I would have to see some very solid documentation of that "stat" before I would consider believing it. If the average hunter took 3 bou (I bet it's more like 1) That would mean 6,000 hunters taking 3 bou each per year. I'd have to say no way to that.

If I'm reading this correctly, the 2004-2005 Mulchatna harvest was less than 1,500 animals.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/.../car05perf.pdf

ETA:

2003-2004 Harvest : 2,163

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/.../car04perf.pdf

And then there's this little gem:

http://www.dog.dnr.state.ak.us/oil/p...fbif_chap4.pdf

Table 4.3: Mulchatna Caribou Herd Harvest,
    GMUs 9B, 17, 18 South, 19A, and 19B, 1992–2002
    [Source: Woolington (2002)]

Year Reported
    a Estimated Total

1991–92 1,573 1,700 3,273
    1992–93 1,602 1,800 3,402
    1993–94 2,804 2,000 4,804
    1994–95 3,301 2,700 6,001
    1995–96 4,449 2,800 7,249
    1996–97 2,366 2,200 4,566
    1997–98 2,704 2,400 5,104
    1998–99

b 4,770 5,000c 9,770
    1999-2000 4,467 5,000

c 9,467
    2000–01 4,004 5,000

c 9,004
    2001–02 3,826 5,000

c 8,826
    5-year average

3,954.2 2,400 8,434.2
    a

Includes only reported harvest from harvest cards.
    b

First year that reminder letters were sent to caribou hunters.
    c

Includes minimum suspected unreported harvest from GMU 18.
    Table

Default numbers

"Includes only reported harvest from harvest cards" (basically, optional reporting, limit was 5 caribou for residents, and if you read the report they estimate almost an additional 5000 animals, were not reported) and that total did not include local subsistance, so in 1999-2000 the estimate 9700+ animals and how many you think locals ate. So how good are these figures. And Mike some of my best friends are guides and part 135 guys and if you read my post and a ton of my other post I encouraged people to hunt up there, and have recommended 5 different transporters up there. I just dont like the 5 caribou limit.

Terry

Default Sorry, corrected post

"Includes only reported harvest from harvest cards" (basically, optional reporting, limit was 5 caribou for residents, and if you read the report they estimate almost an additional 5000 animals, were not reported) and that total did not include local subsistance, so in 1999-2000 the estimate 9700+ animals and how many you think locals ate(check tyrex13 third link about how much subsistance the few villages eat and do the math for the rest of the villages and towns. In 1983-1984 they averaged 77 to 191 pounds of land mammals per person(if Bou were plentiful, what you think they ate). Oh, and lets not forget they also considered the other units where the Mulchatna herd roamed was Units 9A, 9C and 16. Mike some of my best friends are guides and part 135 guys and if you read my post and a ton of my other post I encouraged people to hunt up there, and have recommended 5 different transporters up there. I just dont like the 5 caribou limit. Have a nice day

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    "Includes only reported harvest from harvest cards" (basically, optional reporting, limit was 5 caribou for residents, and if you read the report they estimate almost an additional 5000 animals, were not reported) and that total did not include local subsistance, so in 1999-2000 the estimate 9700+ animals and how many you think locals ate. So how good are these figures. And Mike some of my best friends are guides and part 135 guys and if you read my post and a ton of my other post I encouraged people to hunt up there, and have recommended 5 different transporters up there. I just dont like the 5 caribou limit.

Terry
    Well I think the numbers are pretty good and are certainly the best available. In the highest harvest year the number is barely half of your stated number and in most years the number including estimated unreported is about 1/3 of your stated number. As far as how many the locals harvested, I'm guessing it's not the 10,000 per year that would be required to make your stated estimate work.

Back to the OP, I met a pilot for 40 Mile Air and he said you pretty much have to book a year in advance or be a return customer to get out with them. This was in November. I don't know if the current economy has changed that or not.