Thread: The retriever is training me.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default The retriever is training me.

On the quest to "fix" this dog she is training me how to train her. I'm thinking I can't put any pressure on Molly until she has so a many uneventful retrieves that she forgets that pain comes after the "F" word. She is also doing some things I never trained her to do. Sit on a whistle (sometimes), turn and go back when I, in knee jerk fashion, did it expecting nothing. Instead of Fetch when she blinks the bumper I'm squeaking "get it, get it, get it". It's all fun and games.

The other thing I did was to play with her last. I see a real difference in each dog depending on the order I work with them. Lucy first because the anticipation makes her insane and unworkable for 5 min. then she's turning blue, hot and tired working toward heat exhaustion. Then the lurchers at lure coursing or harness for a bike ride or jog, then Molly. She has this look of "what about MEEE" when I let the other dogs out and she left behind. Then when I do get her out she is wound up. Her weird aversions are less evident, she didn't tremble and the invisible hot spot next to me is forgotten. She really made me smile when she went for her last sight blind at medium speed for her, slight hesitation then took off to the spot. I'm working a thrown bumper into the mix and she picked up a couple bumpers Charlie threw at 40 yards.

I hope I can take her to a picnic hunt test next year and show off a dog that some unknown "trainer" ruined and threw away and secretly wish they would be there. Molly will be 8 years old.
    www.alaskadognews.com

She looks like such a sweetheart!
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree with LFL, she sure is a sweet looking dog Linda!

Default Outstanding

Congrats, keep it up. To many "trainers" do not read their dogs or expect them to do to much at times. The cure for the 100 yard retrieve is learning to shoot or call better. I see so many want to double instead of killing one duck cleanly (as in a follow up shot to be sure bird is dead if needed) instead of blasting away and then expecting the dog to clean up your mess.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Molly

Sweet she is and only reacts if she is really pushed by another dog. Usually I think its about time Molly. Don't take that. She is also taking the lead when we harness up and go for a jog or bike ride. She may have many talents. With no training she tracked our other lab to a pile of slash 1/2 mile away. Lucy had a chased rabbit or spruce hen she was not giving up on.