Thread: Saltwater Safari Company

Default Saltwater Safari Company

I have a halibut trip planned with this company next week and was just curious if anyone had been out with them before? They are out of Seward. I have had nothing but a positive experience dealing with them thus far and if their customer service over the phone reflects the service aboard the vessel then we are in for a good trip.

-SA

I went out with them last year and stayed in thier hotel for 4 days last summer. A real quality outfit all around. Excellent fishing, a good captain, and a fun crew on the boat. We limited on Halibut, Silvers, and rockfish but also caught some kings and lings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I went out with them last year and stayed in thier hotel for 4 days last summer. A real quality outfit all around. Excellent fishing, a good captain, and a fun crew on the boat. We limited on Halibut, Silvers, and rockfish but also caught some kings and lings.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. We will be staying at the lodge the night before the charter.

-SA

I have never fished with them, but I used to fish Res Bay weekly from about June through Sept. and I know their reputation. I wouldn't think twice about recommending them from what I know of them.

The only thing I don't like about going with someone like that is going out on a boat with a bunch of other people I don't know. I prefer a more intimate "less than 6-pack" sort of fishing experience on a much smaller boat, but a lot of people don't mind that at all.

Their skippers sure know where to find the fish and network with each other, and they sure seem to be a totally professional outfit. Hope you have a great day and catch some biguns!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I used to go out with them a couple of times a year when I was living in Anchorage. First rate outfit and hardcore about getting you to your fish.

I reccommend them in a heartbeat and I'll use them personally if I ever get back to Seward to fish.

FWIW- I preferred their Deltas to their smaller boats (Ghost and Phantom) mainly for the comfort factor.

Default In the top three...

I would say they are one of the top 3 outfits in town.

There are smaller charter outfits that run smaller boats, but there is a lot to be said for being on a bigger boat. IMO they handle rough seas better, usually more comfortable.

They will definitely will put you on fish...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    FWIW- I preferred their Deltas to their smaller boats (Ghost and Phantom) mainly for the comfort factor.
    Wow ...Ghost and Phantom... My first trip was on the Phantom in 2004! They were sold in 2005. The owner of those boats bought a 42' Armstrong Marine Catamaran which wore the name Phantom... Sad to say she is no more.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by sharkinaggie View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. We will be staying at the lodge the night before the charter.

-SA
    You cant beat their lodge for convenience and comfort. The rooms are really nice and there is something to be said about waking up to the marina right out your front door.

Thanks for all the responses fellas, I am really looking forward to this trip. Halibut has been on my bucket list of species for quite sometime!

-SA

The owner Bob was one of the pioneer's of the Seward fishery. Good choice.

Default They can catch fish for sure.

I've used Saltwater Safari for 3 different company events as they have two 50' boats that can accomodate a big group. We always caught lots of fish if that's what you are after. They never failed to load the boat with fish. I would not hesitate to use them again for a company event for the big boat but not for myself. Hopefully you will not be on one of the 50' boats. The gear on those boats are not set up for "fighting fish" but rather for "dragging" them in to fill the box.

I have not been on one of their 6 packs or even aware they have any. On all three trips I did not witness a Silver that had a chance to run or take drag. To me, fighting and letting it take drag is an essential part of the fishing experience. I did not see any gear that was properly sized for Silvers. As for halibut, we did catch lots in the 10-20 lbs.

Those guys really know where the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Wow ...Ghost and Phantom... My first trip was on the Phantom in 2004! They were sold in 2005. The owner of those boats bought a 42' Armstrong Marine Catamaran which wore the name Phantom... Sad to say she is no more.
    I left Anchorage in 2003. I think I rode the Phantom in 2001 or 2002 for the only time I rode out on it- it was fast but the ride was really rough. I wondered at the time if he would keep those things- the fuel use must have been unreal- IIRC twin 250hp outboards. I believe they were the fastest boats in the harbor at that point. The deltas rode a bunch better- I had a really memorable trip in 2003 when we were the only boats going out and it was rough with big rollers making it real hard to get out to Montague. A bunch of folks got seasick (one real drawback of a bigger boat- more folks to chum) and we ended up fishing in the bay... I got a 95 pounder within 1/2mi. of the dock on Fox Island. I figured the trip was a bust but I was impressed that those guys turned crappy weather and a crappy trip into a great time for everybody.

well... the old saying goes "things just aint what they used to be"... and I'll leave it at that.

happy fishing!

You'll catch your halibut, but I wouldn't fish with them.

Default Comparing Apples to Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I've used Saltwater Safari for 3 different company events as they have two 50' boats that can accomodate a big group. We always caught lots of fish if that's what you are after. They never failed to load the boat with fish. I would not hesitate to use them again for a company event for the big boat but not for myself. Hopefully you will not be on one of the 50' boats. The gear on those boats are not set up for "fighting fish" but rather for "dragging" them in to fill the box.

I have not been on one of their 6 packs or even aware they have any. On all three trips I did not witness a Silver that had a chance to run or take drag. To me, fighting and letting it take drag is an essential part of the fishing experience. I did not see any gear that was properly sized for Silvers. As for halibut, we did catch lots in the 10-20 lbs.

Those guys really know where the fish are.
    I would have to respectfully disagree with the above...and here is why.

From your above scenario the trips were combo trips, where a boat is loaded with 7-16 people and the goal is to catch 2 halibut and either 3(outside the bay) or 6(inside the bay) silvers per person. We will go with 12 people. All of the combo trips I have been on have spent about 45-90 minutes fishing for bigger halibut, then went to a chicken (10-20lbs) hole to limit out on halibut. (24 fish) Then they will move to where the silvers are, at a minimum of 36 fish up to 72 for a total of 60-96 fish in about 5hrs. Having 12 lines in the water at once can be a pain in the arse let alone when you have 3 or 4 people fighting/angling their salmon in. Silvers run/fight hard, and will cross lines. I agree it is a blast to let the fish strip line and have their way with the hook, especially silvers; but allowing them to strip some line, giving them a chance as you say isn't conducive to a 50' boat full of people fishing at the same time.

I agree the six pack offers a more intimate/personal feeling. Fishing on a six-pack allows for better angling opportunities and less pressure to get your limit(s) and move on; but the original poster isn't doing a combo.

Sharkinaggie will be going after halibut only (pre July trip), and when going after halibut only and if the tides are cooperating, they may sit on a hog hole for 3+ hours before going to the chicken patch. With 12 or so anglers on the boat, that boat will be leaving an awesome scent trail with all that bait down on the bottom. Also bigger boats bring a LOT more bait with them...more chumming.

I think Saltwater Safaris will be a great first tirp SA and his wife...

AKArcher

Thumbs up Would recommend

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from anyone I've sent their direction. Spoken to Bob personally on several occasions, stand up guy! They have my business.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel