Thread: Hunting with Hounds

Default Hunting with Hounds

Is this practiced much in Alaska?

If not it should be. Hunting with Hounds is awesome. I don't really know the regs on this but I would guess it is a no go for bear. Man, it would be awesome to have a four wheeler, a pack of hounds and an alpha male wolf on the run!

Legal for black with a permit. Not for Grizzly. Not widely practiced. In my opinion it doesn't seem too practical in Alaska. Too many grizzly, too many wolves, too few roads. Although black bear would probably tree pretty easy since they don't know the game like bears in areas where hound hunting is widely practiced.

Default Alpha Wolf?

Although it sounds like a lot of fun Alpha Wolves generally run in packs and instead of running from hounds it would more likely be the other way around.
    I did see a post on here just recently about someone who has tried running black bears but has not had great success as of yet but maybe getting a few guys to have more hounds on the trail might just pay off.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Don't think it's too common

Recently, I had a good conversation with a guy who ran dogs up here for blackies in his day. He said they often don't stay treed well. He also said his girls got on grizz way too often for his liking, and he lost a lot of dogs and was in a hairy situation or two before he decided to hang his hat up.

The previous comment about the lack of roads makes good sense too. I know when we ran hounds for cats in Oregon, it was the extensive network of logging roads that allowed us to get to the hounds without bushwhacking for miles and miles after they'd treed.

For me personally, the likelihood of losing dogs makes it a no go. But it would certainly be exciting.

Allow me a little out of state ignorance... Wolves, wolverines, lynx; A few of the reasons I want to leave Texas and head for the last frontier. Instead of using hounds to hunt hogs here in the lone star state, a lot of guys run black mouth curs and even pit bulls for catch dogs since they don't really trail. They're pretty tight mouth until they bay one, so the hogs never have a chance to run too far. Is this a possible approach or do I need to trade in the dogs for a new rifle? I can't imagine living in Alaska without a couple of good salty dogs. As far as access to the woods, what about some of the more open terrain and sight hunting a lone wolf or something like that? If you can't already tell I've never been to Alaska, just looked at lots and lots of pics. Thanks for the advice.

You can only run black bears with dogs. You can use dogs on a leash to track wounded big game. Alaska is not a place to mess around with the game laws. Plus if your dog is seen chasing moose or such out of season or harrasing any big game, it can be shot on site by any peace officer, on or off duty.

So study the regs and game laws before you decide to move. Most of what you are interested in doing with dogs, is a no go.

I get a permit for my dog every spring for the areas I hunt often. It is legal for her to be off leash, legally though she is still on a leash=shock collar. Yes she has ran bears, only brown that I am aware of. She has got on a few blacks bears. She is a fast little dog and always gets to far ahead in steep terrain. I have watched her chase bears and they just high tail it. Pretty cool though seeing a black bear run from a 16# German Jag'd Terrier!

Mise well just stay in Texas. Visit AK in the winter and see how you like it, dark a lot and very long. Small game hunting, but snow gets to deep in areas, even for bigger dogs. Do more research and make an educated decision.

Default Dogs

I am a hound hunter in Wisconsin it is a great sport but I feel it is dieing and it makes me sad I take everyone I can hunting with me from young to old to get people interested and keep the sport going and I have yet to take someone that didn't like it most people beg to come back!!! I hunt alaska alot "not with hounds of course" and it would be great to do in some places that don't have griz like maybe POW but there are wolves everywhere I think and here in WI we have a big problem with wolves killing dogs it sucks!! Also axcess would be a problem I think it is sure nice here with the road system but there you would just have to pack a day bag and good boots and go I think it can be done but there are alot more issues to deal with there but I think it would be a blast with the bear populations in some areas!!!

Aaron

Default hounds on POW

Some hound men have come up and got their permit and hunted the Island I know of.

They have had problems also. Loosing dogs.

I have heard that bear don't tree well and there are lots of tracks cut and dogs get confused.

Also just remember sometimes 10 feet can be a LONG ways.

I have heard of some small breeds being used as tracking dogs for wounded Bear in SE. Also a permit is required.