Thread: Thanks Brian Richardson and Goo!

Default Thanks Brian Richardson and Goo!

I met these two guys on this forum, and I wanted to let them know how stoked I am on my new boat. They gave me great input on how I should design the boat to fit my demanding needs- I pretty much wanted a boat that could do everything. The boat has handled great in high volume-punching big holes on Lions Head at 4’. I have had fun sessioning up Eagle River at different flows. Yesterday, it proved nimble enough to make it down the bony guardrail section of the Willow- the boat is going to allow me to do creeks I would never have thought an oar rig could go down. It should be great on 6 Mile and am looking forward to taking it on the Talkeetna in a few weeks.

Goo, thanks for talking me down on the tubes…you were right on these work great. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about the geometry of the tubes and giving hands-on personal experience of the different cat designs in wild water.

Brian, the frame design rocks. The high clearance on the front of the boat is super valuable, and the front rowing station has numerous advantages. The extra frame options will prove very useful for passengers and fishing. Again your expertise on the water has helped me out big time-thanks for the coaching!

Here is a photo of the guardrail put-in. The way this boat is able to crab walk across the creek and straddle rocks prevented me from getting hung up-super clean run at a pretty low flow.

Josh

Looks to be a very nice play boat. About 13-14' perhaps? I like the high clearance frame design. You should have a good time with that. Add seats and a floor net for fishing/tripping, and have a very versatile boat.

Sweet boat man. Glad you hooked up with Goo and Brian, they are two of the best in the business. Got my first raft, a Sotar 14'4" bucket, from Goo about 2 years ago. I am sure grateful I did. He made my entry into rafting a smooth one. Enjoy the new boat man.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah Jim, it's 13'. With the extra seat in place, a floor in, and other misc. frame pieces, she will be very versatile; however, right now I'm having a blast with no floor or passengers .

And, thanks Dan, I will enjoy it.

Josh

Heg- curious to hear an approximate cost that you had to cough up for such a nice new craft / frame setup.

looks like a great boat. Hope to see more reports as she spreads her wings, er, tubes a bit more.

Is your primary purpose to use as a 1-person cat? will this be suited for multi-person multi-day trips?

What is the approx. load capacity?

Starting to look into cats more after using primarily round rafts (and canoes), and eager to learn from others who are farther up the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Heg- curious to hear an approximate cost that you had to cough up for such a nice new craft / frame setup.

looks like a great boat. Hope to see more reports as she spreads her wings, er, tubes a bit more.

Is your primary purpose to use as a 1-person cat? will this be suited for multi-person multi-day trips?

What is the approx. load capacity?

Starting to look into cats more after using primarily round rafts (and canoes), and eager to learn from others who are farther up the learning curve.
    My original plan was to get just a playboat, but after talking to both Brian and Goo, I figured I could get a boat that served multiple purposes. With the setup like I have it in the picture it is a perfect one-man boat...for pretty much anything. With the second seat mounted directly behind the front seat (will post a photo later), it will be a great two-man whitewater boat. If I finagle the frame/floor around a little, I will have the ability to take her on a multiday fishing trip. I also have a raft that we do multi-day family trips on, so having a small cat along will help with both the fun and safety factors.

As I'm sure you know, Sotar are super tough, well-made boats with a stellar reputation. They cost a little more, but I don't like fixing boats at home or in the woods. I wanna say I paid around 3,500 for the tubes, frame, Cataract oars, a couple seats, straps, etc. And, uh... I believe the load capacity is around 1,000lbs.

Hope that helps.

Thats a real nice lookin play boat, is that an SP?
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Default KAT

The tubes are made of the 40 oz. urethane coated on 4000 denier polyester fabric that is used for fuel bladders in the gulf wars. That is why the SP's were sand colored. Yes, we called it the SP. Same as the specs we use on our colored fabric ST and SL cats and rafts. We were able to get a better price because of the amount of fabric they were producing at the time. Our main fabric that we use and have been using for the last 15 yrs is made in Israel for their military. Best i have seen in my 28 years with SOTAR.
    Heg's raft is not the fishing model and was built like our SOTAR "ELITE"
    series, with the double bladder. The tubes are three piece, as to allow no seams on the bottom, so less drag.
    Urethane boats are in a class by themselves !!
    Goo

Thumbs up

Hello Josh,

Thanks for the thoughtful, complimentary posting and pic.

This Cat will be a hard one to outgrow... lol --- there are none better for what you are starting to get into with her.

You can now see first hand how lifted clearance straddling-ability plus front 2/3 forward row-station helps you point the boat downriver a whole lot more... better acceleration, faster stalling w/ backing response, more leverage, better VIZ, and completely different lines of attack, angles, or dodging obstacles, less sticky time in drops/hydro-features/eddy-lines, and surf-ability-play. BY doing this --- it 'ups' your descents by a grade to grade and a half. Keep in mind to still know that the deeper doo-doo you track into, the more exponential the problems can mount in a sudden dismount

Not sure if you are using one... it is a very good notion to wear a full coverage (not a 1/2 shell) whitewater rafting helmet particularly when you run a no-floor, jacked-up frame on more demanding water.

Cheers and thanks again.