Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2010 bear hunt

Default Our 2010 bear hunt

I havent written about many of my hunting adventures on here, mainly because they have not ended in a harvest. They have been incredible adventures for the most part though and I would not change a thing with any of them. This weekend was quite different though.

For a little background, this is my third year setting up a bear stand. The first two were in an area that was overhunted and also overused by non hunters I found out after the fact. Last year my bait stand was vandalized and the camera stolen and I figured I should give it up. This year however I decided to just move as far out as I could and give it one more chance.

Well after finding a good looking spot that could only be accessed on foot I lugged the barrell, food and stand in and set it up on 1 May. I figured this would be early, but I couldnt wait to get out and get started.

After setting up the stand I left it alone for two weeks and then started checking on it and adding food/scent. The first pictures did not start to show up on the cuddeback until the 21st of May. And wouldnt you know it it was a trio of big grizzly bears.

After seeing nothing but brown bear pictures I decided to head out to the cabin on memorial day weekend and do some spot and stalk bear hunting and maybe a little dolly fishing. I am glad I did because the whole family was able to make it to the cabin for the first time in a while and it turned out to be one of our best trips out there!

After that, it was time to head back out and check out the stand. My wife decided to go in with me for the first time and see if she could get over her fear of bears and we headed out this past Saturday morning.

We got into the site after a little bit of a rough hike in only to find that barrel I had log chained to a tree 3 feet off the ground was no where to be found. It had been ripped from the tree and the chain broken. There was, however, a nice black bear standing right where the barrell use to be. I calmed my wife down and got here to stay behind me as we tried to get within pistol range. Now the plan was to just check on the camera and see how many griz had been feasting at my expense and to add some more for them to munch on. I took a pistol, but was not planning on hunting so I had nothing with me to clean and pack the bear out if there was any around. Luckily he didnt stick around long, so I didnt have to make that decision, but it was long enough that my wife decided that up in the tree stand was the best vantage point for this excursion.

Meanwhile I checked on the camera. There were only 6 pictures but one of them gave me a clue as to what happened to my barrel.

I imagine he just twisted it until the chain snapped. And looking at the date, it was only 2 days after I had last checked the stand. I had an anise ball hanging in the trees and lots of other scent lures in the area though so there were several pics of other bears at the site after that, but none of them were black bears.

That would change in the next few minutes though! After walking in a 300 yard radius all around the site to see if I could find my barrel I decided to just put the food on the ground and do a better search for it later. My wife sat in the tree while I mixed up a pile of dog food, maple syrup and some other gooey ingredients. About half way through another black bear came in from the opposite direction that the first one left. I heard my wife clicking her fingers behind me in the tree and turned to see the bear about 50 yards away. I pulled out my pistol just in case and watched as he worked his way into the smell of the bait. A few minutes later and just 20 yards away I snapped this picture and then quietly said 'hey bear' to get his attention. He looked up at me and quickly turned around, but slowly left the area with his head constantly turned looking at me like "what the heck are you doing here"!

At this point my wife thought that it was pretty cool and decided to join me for the last few minutes of me baiting the site. We finished up about 15 minutes later and started packing up the trash to head out. Just as we got the site clean I looked around and low and behold a third bear came in from the exact same direction as the last one. My wife had the camera at this point and took a few pictures of it as it circled around us and the stand trying to scent us or the food.

Needless to say we both decided it was time for me to hunt the stand the next day.

After talking to my son he decided he would join me sunday morning to try and get his first and last bear before heading off to the University of South Dakota to begin he college career. (continued in the next post)
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Sunday morning started out pretty slow for the most part. We got into the site and added some popcorn, dog food and more sticky stuff to the mix that had been hit at least once during the night. We then settled into our stands and began the wait.

After three hours I was just starting to wonder if my son would be able to get a chance at a blackie when I heard a twig snap behind me. I slowly turned around and saw a young bear coming in about 50 yards away. He must have winded us or was just very cautious as he sat behind some trees for quite a while and then turned and left the way he came.

Another hour passed by with nothing happening. Then things got a little interesting. We had a decent bear come in in a hurry and just plopped himself down behind two trees and started chowing down on the bait pile. Of course the trees blocked my sons shot and the bear would not move for over a half hour. He just sat there nibbling away. I broke out the camera and started shooting some video of hime while we waited.

After that bear had been there 30 minutes he all of a sudden he popped his head up and spun around to go meet another bear that was coming in. A quick altercation took place and then the second bear moved into the same exact spot and began eating the bait. This bear though was eating a little quicker and was inching forward as he worked. After a few minutes of watching him my son was able to take the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiSwjyreSM (couldnt figure out how to embed the video)

He had a perfect shot taking out both lungs and part of the heart and the bear was laying just a few yards over the hill from our site.

The bear was shot at 2pm and we were home with about 80lbs of meat to grind by 7 pm. We had the first burgers last night and I am hooked on spring black bear meat now. I am going to head back to the stand this coming weekend and see if I can get one myself with my bow! Wish me luck!

Default Great Story & Pics!

Congrats to you and your son - beautiful bear and wonderful story to share...
    I expect some nice pics of that archery bear VERY soon...
    Thanks for sharing....
    Randy

Congrats on the hunt and time in the woods. Nice bear that should feed you awhile
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Awsome Cory! Congrats to you and your son. Makes me miss AK even more. Hope to see some pics of the one you stick soon.

Johnny

Good Story, a very Good story. Congratulations. Nice photos. I really like that you are comfortable being around bears, and choosing which if any to harvest. Have you found the barrel.....?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Good Story, a very Good story. Congratulations. Nice photos. I really like that you are comfortable being around bears, and choosing which if any to harvest. Have you found the barrel.....?
    Thanks. I have not found the barrel yet, but I am not going to give up. I can't imagine he took it too far. I am going to go in there and hunt this weekend with my bow and try again to look for it.

Great story and thanks for sharing... Congratulations to your son
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default nice job...

nice bear and photos. nice to see a whole family out there enjoying alaska together. neat cuddyback pics of the brownies in your bait site. congrats to your son.

Great story and nice pics. It's always good to see someone take the time to get good photos of their hunt and harvest.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Awesome!!!!! give that new z7 a spin let me know how she does... mine is as of yet un fired at a critter!!!

we are headed back tothe river Friday for a run at it and taking the wifes boy along this time, so not sure if i will get a chane to or not again this time....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Great video and amazing write up!

Nice Bear and tell your son Congrats, As far as losing the barrel it beats having had your camera taken
    Looks to have a nice coat,Good luck with the bow!

Default Sweet

Beautiful! Those Brown critters sure are strong. That one ripping your barrel is a nice animal.

Enjoy the food, I had bear sausage for breakfast this morning.

Great story. Hope you get a couple more out of there this year. Sounds like a busy stand for sure.

Congratulations to your son,

Taylor

Awesome Cory! Congrat's to the kid and good luck to ya!

nice looking bear, congrats!

I just have to ask........why didn't you shoot the black in the pics? What kind of pistol were you carrying? 20 yds would have been close enough. That is a nice blackie in the pics and I woulda had a hard time passing it up if I had an adequate gun.
    Congrats to your son.
    Good luck on yours!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I love t! I love it I love everything about your luck, trip, hunt. I was so excited for you taking the wife and then the son out and congrats to him btw!. Its pretty cool that you took pictures and did not shoot those two bears as most people would not have hesitated and for that for me was just a thrill.
    Most of all I loved the story you shared with us and the succsess in not giving up with all your bad luck and you stuck with it. Best of luck to you with the bow hunt and if its not to much to ask of you I asked to be a friend.Good Luck Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I just have to ask........why didn't you shoot the black in the pics? What kind of pistol were you carrying? 20 yds would have been close enough. That is a nice blackie in the pics and I woulda had a hard time passing it up if I had an adequate gun.
    Congrats to your son.
    Good luck on yours!
    Mike, the pistol wasnt the issue. It was a .44 and I was plenty close enough. The reason I passed for the time being was I didnt have any knives, game bags or a pack to get them out. All I had with me was a day pack with a few tools, the syrup, and a gerber along with a garbage bag full of dog food and pop corn. I seriously wasnt thinking that I was going to see a bear at all after nothing but brownies had hit it to that point. I am hoping to run into one of those guys again with my bow in hand and the stuff to properly take care of it the next time. Honestly though, so far every bear that has come in was a good looking bear! Might be tough to pass on any of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast