Thread: Fishing a Muddler

Default Fishing a Muddler

I've heard a few different times that muddelers are great to use in the start of the season for trout and such. I've used them before with no success, and I have enough in my fly box because people say they work. I guess I just don't know how to fish them or exactly how they're supposed to be mimicked. Could someone give me the rundown on how to fish a muddler...?

Thanks!

yeah no kidding, i have had crap luck with those things, I must be doing some thing, wrong. I have found that a muddler with a rabbit tail green works alright though.

I have had luck with them, just not up here in AK. Missouri Trout loved the muddlers. Just stuck a shot about 10 inches above, threw past a hole and then stripped one long, two short and then pause and start all over right threw a hole and it would produce pretty well. As for AK, haven't caught a darn thing with it??

Default black muddlers

Years ago muddlers and a black felt tip saved my bacon on the Kulik river.... they'd hit them as long as they were black!!

Fish 'em on the swing.

L

hmmm well i will have to remember that. I use a silver smolt immitation in the spring works pretty good, but then again in the spring they are hungry I think they might hit any thing if they can see it.

I also have a few muddlers in my fly box, the bestway I have seen them fished is with a split shot above your leader connection. 12" to 18" above the fly. then swing and strip. Without the split shot it will ride on the surface because of all the deer hair.

Skate them...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Here's an interesting article on muddler variations:
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/muddler-evolution

I caught fish dead drifting them for browns in western new york, but haven't had much luck with them elsewhere. I visited Kaufman's fly shop in Oregon and they recommended drifting them for summer steelhead in that area, but they didn't work for me.

Really you can tie almost the same fly with a yak hair head on it and it will sink easier. Personally, I think it's a better way to go.

I love muddlers...

add some weight up the leader (or use a sink-tip and a short leader) and fish them low as a sculpin pattern. can also be a decent smolt pattern.

fish 'em on the surface if there's a lot of smolt... the injured, floating smolt idea.

small muddlers make great caddis and stonefly patterns.

i've really got into conehead muddlers lately for fishing bigger water.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.