Thread: best hat for the hunter

Default best hat for the hunter

I see all kinds, some practical, some stylish. What's your choice?

Any hat that has Penn State on it or its logo...mainly supporting their football program and Joe Pa.......yep, my money is going to that school too.

Hmmm, mean't to start this thread in Alaska Hunting. Anyone know how to get it moved?

Default ...

Stormy Kromer! Nice warm hat, that has the abilities to pulled down to cover the tips of your ears. Me likey!

That...and in warm weather I bust out the Bball cap. Logo doesn't matter, but having a hat does.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    Hmmm, mean't to start this thread in Alaska Hunting. Anyone know how to get it moved?
    Moderators and I can move threads, but since this is about gear, it would have been moved to this forum anyhow.

For headgear, I usually bring two of the following three: My bandana always goes along, as it keeps sweat out of my eyes when I'm climbing or it's a hot day and can double as a first-aid help if needed. If cold, I have a knit wool hat with turtlefur lining. If not, I carry my hat that looks kind of like Indiana Jones' - but wool and waterproof.

Thanks for the thread advice. So , after you have the turtles skinned, do you tan them yourself or send them out?

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    So , after you have the turtles skinned, do you tan them yourself or send them out?
    Ha! Yeah, it's a ridiculous name, but turtlefur fleece is some soft, toasty stuff.

Either my REI or OR gore-tex sombrero. Keeps the sun off your face and neck in nice weather. Works great to keep off the rain, especially since I hate wearing hoods. The gore-tex holds in a little more heat which can be either good or bad depending on the weather.

Can't go wrong with a synthetic quick dry ball cap either, I have one from Cabelas.

Rivers West has a hat I like. It's full brimmed and water proof (so far), had it about 5 yrs. now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Stormy Kromer! Nice warm hat, that has the abilities to pulled down to cover the tips of your ears. Me likey!

That...and in warm weather I bust out the Bball cap. Logo doesn't matter, but having a hat does.
    I'll second the Stormy Kromer, me likey too.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    any hat that has penn state on it or its logo...mainly supporting their football program and joe pa.......yep, my money is going to that school too.

we are! :d

One of my buds swears by his Filson wool hat. Me, I carry a couple depending on season and conditions.
    Now what ?

Default OR Seattle Sombrero

OR Seattle Sombrero--great hat--keeps the rain out of your eyes and off the back of your neck and the strap prevents the wind from blowing it away too.

I basically never hunt without it--wearing it on my profile pick with my PWS goat in fact.

They last for years thru multiple washings and a whole lotta abuse. When it gets real cold I will wear a fleece or some other type of skull cap underneath it to keep more heat in.

Default Wax-treated baseball cap...

is functional...eases vision by keeping sun out of my eyes or keeping glare off my glasses or shades and is all I need most of the time. Usually I spray on extra waterproofing before trips, but the wax finish does a good job of shedding water, keeping the cap from getting soaked. It doesn't breathe as well as other materials, but if it's hot, I just take the cap off. Usually the velcro headband adjustment makes it simple to loop the hat onto my pack.

Turtle fleece ear band: when ears get cold
    Hood on my rain gear when it rains steady. The extra-waterproof brim is all that's exposed.

Wax treated cap and so on is pretty much the combo that I've been using for a while. I add a funny looking brown fleece beanie that was part of the Arctic Winter Games uniform(Yukon) when we came over to Kenai in '96. Thought it was useless until I tried it over the ballcap.

Default It all depends on the conditions

In the winter in sleet and wet conditions a poncho and liner. because with the hood it is a micro tent keeping the wind out and body heat in. it is very simple and things that you prefir not getting wet are easily kept relaitivly dry.It doubles as a ground cloth and or a cover for other things not brought into the tent (if one is brought). I have helmits for operating equipment or climbing and repelling, caving ect.
    Depending on desert conditions heat and and blowing I have hats with a neck shield , it's cotton so you can wet it down and be more comfortable in 120 degree conditions.
    Ball caps are nice ,and i have bunches All given to me , but they don't protect the ears.
    Skii masks and and capps are ok and have their place. So I can't say there is one particular hat I prefir. If I don't have to ,I'd just as soon not wear a hat at all. I usually prepare it so that it can be stuffed or rolled or hung clipped some where out of the way when necessary. the same with gloves as well ,many different styles for different appications.
    I have a fillet glove originally acquired for search and rescue dealing with the sheet metal on planes and crumpled up cars, but they grip well even sknning,and obviously cleaning fish , and wash out very simply. they are made of vinal coated stainless wire, wolven like a woolen glove,and there is no cloth in it .
    sorry got carried away.