Thread: Impressive Diesel Jet stats

Default Impressive Diesel Jet stats

Just thought some of you might like to see these numbers. Just took a ride past the Yentna Station Roadhouse with my new 22' Boulton Jet with 250hp diesel. I am no expert, but I thought this might spark a discussion. Let me know what you think.

Over 78 river miles
    2.83 hrs
    18.1 gallons used
    27.6 mph avg speed
    36.2 mph max speed

My public school math says 6.4 gal/hr...4.3 mi/gal...90gal tank gives me 390 mile range! We were not exactly easy on the throttle. Boat had three people plus goods for the Roadhouse and a friend's cabin.

Not bad numbers. Do you have a guess at total of the weight of the "goods" on board? Down stream loaded, up stream empty?
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Default new diesel

Do you have the yanmar 6by in it? I have a new 20' Precisionweld with a 6by and i just did 160 miles on the Main Salmon in Idaho and my burn rate was 5.9 to 6.8 GPH.I have lots of power.I ran with a 24' with a 8.1 gas and his burn rate was 11 to 13.6 GPH.Gasoline is for trolling motors.

Eagle1

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    Not bad numbers. Do you have a guess at total of the weight of the "goods" on board? Down stream loaded, up stream empty?
    The thing about running the Yetena river is it's downstream and upstream in the same trip...............both ways.

Thumbs up

Got it, mixed bag.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Those sound like good figures to me. What size/type jet?

Default FNM with Hamilton

22' Boulton with Hamilton 212 2.4 Turbo impeller. The engine is the FNM 250HP Diesel. Weighs 100lbs less than a 350 and 7" shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by no pavement View Post
    22' Boulton with Hamilton 212 2.4 Turbo impeller. The engine is the FNM 250HP Diesel. Weighs 100lbs less than a 350 and 7" shorter.
    I am in the market for repowering my rig and those are impressive fuel numbers but leaves me with questions:

Curious for a little more specifics on the weights that you are comparing - what is the weight of each and where are you getting them from? My searches keep coming up with different information.

What do you estimate the total weight of the gear and people you were carrying when checking the fuel consumption?

http://www.fnmalaska.net/HPE225_250Series.html

The gm/marine website advertises 435 lbs for their 5.7, but they also say it only has 290 hp. Not sure if it is a different motor the Alaskans are saying has 330-350 hp. I also saw on another website showing the weight of the 4.3 as 600 lbs. Good luck with finding the truth!

I estimate about 680-700 lbs of riders plus another 250-300 lbs of gear. I would guess 200 or more lbs of gear was offloaded at the roadhouse so more than half the trip was with less gear. Mel at FNM did more extensive load testing in Valdez with somewhat accurate weight measurements using water in trash barrels.

Good luck with your research. I hear from the grape vine that the diesel jet wave is coming to Alaska and the prices WILL go up.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1756384149.html

Kodiak's website shows 310hp for the carb version, 330 for the EFI.

www.kemequipment.com

Default Diesel jets

Diesel jetboats are the only way to go.

Eagle1

if they had a bigger diesel then 250hp i may be interested but i will stick to gas for now.

Is it the top end speed you need or the overall horsepower? I think the torque or holeshot is sufficient with this size of diesel.

The torque is what powers our jetboats along, I have never understood why the engines are rated by horse power instead of torque. Guess those big or small numbers sound better.

A couple of years ago, I swapped out the Ford 460/3 stage Kodiak in a 25' Wooldridge Classic for a Yanmar 6lp/stp2 and Hamilton 241 with the aftermarket turbo impeller and added a ZF 63 transmission for a true neutral. I also replaced the canvas top with an aluminum hardtop.

The diesel transformed the boat.

The boat cruises with a full load (120 gallons of fuel, 4-5 big guys, coolers, gear, etc) 30-32 mph on the gps depending on wind, and 9-10 gallons per hour. (primarily salt water running) Top speed dropped from 47 mph to 42 mph Previous cruise numbers were 24-26 mph and 15/18 gph. I had 18 years and just under 3000 hours on the Ford before I swapped it out, and it was still running fine.

The diesel swap was expensive. . . . just under half what a new boat would have cost. I suspect that the increased performance is equally attributable to both the diesel and the increased efficiency of the 241 pump over the old 3 stage.

If you are going to do any amount of running in salt water I would highly recommend the transmission. It adds less than 100 lbs,(with the new jets that is nothing) and it lets you back flush the jet and run the engine when you are pulling pots, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tip View Post
    A couple of years ago, I swapped out the Ford 460/3 stage Kodiak in a 25' Wooldridge Classic for a Yanmar 6lp/stp2 and Hamilton 241 with the aftermarket turbo impeller and added a ZF 63 transmission for a true neutral. I also replaced the canvas top with an aluminum hardtop.

The diesel transformed the boat.

The boat cruises with a full load (120 gallons of fuel, 4-5 big guys, coolers, gear, etc) 30-32 mph on the gps depending on wind, and 9-10 gallons per hour. (primarily salt water running) Top speed dropped from 47 mph to 42 mph Previous cruise numbers were 24-26 mph and 15/18 gph. I had 18 years and just under 3000 hours on the Ford before I swapped it out, and it was still running fine.

The diesel swap was expensive. . . . just under half what a new boat would have cost. I suspect that the increased performance is equally attributable to both the diesel and the increased efficiency of the 241 pump over the old 3 stage.

If you are going to do any amount of running in salt water I would highly recommend the transmission. It adds less than 100 lbs,(with the new jets that is nothing) and it lets you back flush the jet and run the engine when you are pulling pots, etc.
    The jet transformed the boat not the diesel. the old 3-stage doesn't begin to compare to a 241. Throw a 496 (8.1) vortec in front of the 241 and you'll wonder why you spent so much on Yanmar diesel when you could buy the 496 for 1/2 the money. The Yanmar has no more lifespan in front of a jet than a gas motor, thats a fact. On both applications the risers, manifolds, heat exchangers etc wear out long before the engine does. The 12k difference in price buys a lot of fuel. So in my opinion, its smarter to go w/ the performance of gas for the money. The only drawback to gas is that it explodes which is why some people might decide they would rather choke on diesel exhaust than burn up in a boat fire.

I had friends say the same thing too. . .until they rode in the boat. You can make the same case for a big gas V8 in a one ton pick-up. It will do the job, but it just isn't the same as the diesel.