Thread: 30-06 Major Load Re-do coming

Default 30-06 Major Load Re-do coming

It will be at least two and a half months before I post any finished work because I am in the middle of a major re-do of all my favorite 30-06 loads and some new ones in my main 30-06 hunting rifle. I can't continue until my new stock comes in but it is suppose to be here soon.

I am at the present working with 165gr Sierra HPBT, Nosler Partition, Remington Core Lokt, Hornday SP, Accubond, Ballistic tip - 168gr Barnes TSX, Sierra MK - 180gr Ballistic Tip, Sierra SP, Nosler Partition PT, Accubond, Barnes MRX- 190gr Sierra MK, 200gr Sierra SPB - 208gr A-Max - 220gr Sierra RN, Nosler Partition - 240gr Woodliegh.

Using the following powders:

IMR4895, IMR4320, IMR4350, IMR4831, IMR7828

AA2495BR

W-760

RL-19, RL-17, RL-22

H380, H414, H4350, H4831

Norma MRP

Brass: Winchester, Remingtion, Nosler, Hornady and Federal

Primers: Fed 210M, Fed 210, Remington 9 1/2 and CCI

I am keeping detailed records of velocities, extreme spread, deviations, group size and over all lengths. I do not want to short cut anything and the weather is very hot and humid down here so it will limit my time at the range. Plus I am doing this to develop specific loads for using the 30-06 for the following game as and all around cartridge and main go to rifle. Coyote, bobcat, hog, deer (white tail, coues, Mule) black bear, elk, moose, brown bear and other dangerous game, as well as possibly a chance again on plains game in Tanzania (if work sends me again)

So, depending on the specific game I am hunting I will have a specific load for the task at hand using one rifle.

I know there is other powders that can be used like Varget, but I do not have time nor the money to do more than I have set up to do.

Here is a link to an article I just had published which I will follow up with an article on load work. http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/article...id=mhsp68/3006
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am trying a few things different with my known loads and trying a few new loads because I really want to know if I can do it even better. Yes it would take 157 years to do all of this if I was just beginning with the 30-06, but this work will be on top of at least 28 years of load work for the 30-06.

I am building off known an proven loads I have developed over the years, just doing a little tweaking. As far as target bullets are concerned I am loading only a few three shot groups out of curiosity. This will only take a couple of months maybe three at the most. I did a major re-do ten years ago and I would like some very specific loads for specific work in the field hunting while just adjusting and tweaking my all around loads
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well best of luck to you though I know you don't need it.

I look forward to hearing your results.

thank you for the load data there

I long ago went through this and that has gotten me to the point where I only use Woodleigh 180 grain bullets and just two powders, 4350 and Winchester 760 powder for the .30-06. I still work off the kiss principle. If I didn't live hear in Alaska, I would be a Remington 180 grain bullet user, Core locks are hard bullets to beat for killing in the lower 48.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson