Thread: early blight

Kupreanof Island

Default early blight

We have 2 tomato plants in the green house with Early Blight. Any ideas what to do?

Good prevention practices go a long way when dealing with any fungus, ealry blight starts off in the lower plant as leaf blight and moves up through the plant. It normally is from the surrounding soil splashed up from either rain or irrigation. Make sure to have your plants staked up to lower the risk of the fruit and leaves contacting the ground. Then try so mulch around the bottoms of the plant with saw dust, wood chip or the plastic mulch or weed mat to reduce any of your soil splash. Since you already have signs of the fungus get a broad spectrum fungicide and spray them down. You most likely will have to do mutiple applications every ten to 14 days to battle the fungus. I use a Mancozeb fungicide. Bonide makes the one I use but there many others out there under what brand name they put on them. It mixes into a hand sparyer and is about 3 tbls/gallon. Just make sure to not use your spayer that has contained herbicides, you always need two, one for herbicides and the other for insecticides and fungicides. Before you spray look over you plants and make sure there are not any little bugs running around. You can always mix your insecticde with your fungicide and only have to do one application.. Good luck and happy plants!

Uh, Willow?

I used neem oil and a pampered chef kitchen spritzer.
    I wrote about it in my blog because it really works. After a few applications (only apply in early morning - it can burn your leaves) the plants had enough new growth to trim the yellowing leaves.