Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana Creek & Willow Creek

Default Montana Creek & Willow Creek

Hey guys! I posted about a month ago about how I was moving to Alaska. Well, I'm up here now and it didn't take me long to get my line wet.

I went and fished Montana Creek over Memorial Day weekend. I had some pretty good luck as I hooked into a 20" rainbow (along with a couple smaller ones).

Last weekend, I tried Willow Creek. Judging from the threads on here, I think that I was too far upstream. I understand that most of the fish hang out around the confluence until later in the summer. I'll try that next time.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!

Good work. However, if I may offer some advice. Restrain yourself from mentioning specific water bodies. Offering specifics over the 'net creates a phenomena often called "combat fishing".

Instead, try to generalize. Words like Parks Highway, or flippin Kenai are much more appropriate to share on the web.

Congrats on the move, and the fish! If you see a big blue/dirt colored superduty along the parks this summer, come on over and introduce yourself.
    It has a window sticker that says "I support Road head". Can't miss it.

You'll definetly catch some grief by mentioning specifics, I've had my fair share of diehards send a lot of PM's! Plus a lot of the time if you post a picture, I would venture that most people could pick out where you are at. Good luck and welcome!

Thumbs up Montana and Willow

Man you found two great Rainbow Creeks for sure. Early in spring, yes concentrate near the confluence of the Su. As things warm up like now, move upstream with the Rainbows. For access:
    Montana Creek off the Talkeetna Spur Road:
    Michele Drive (good for putting in a float to the Parks Hwy)
    Yoder Road
    Willow Creek off the Willow Fishhook Road:
    A small day parking lot on Hawley Street before you get to the Deception Creek bridge.
    Parking spot at the Deception Creek bridge.
    Parking spot on Shirley Town Road and a bridge to walk or drive across.

Lots of territory to explore for a newbie to the area. The creeks have gotten overrun with Rainbows nowdays and it really needs to get them thinned out. Have fun with them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

There are no secrets about Montana Creek, Wilow creek, or any of the other parks hwy tributaries....Its all well documented, published already. Time, Type, Frequency, Location...nothing given away yet?? I dont think your personnal disclouser of a experience with a specific location like "Montana Creek" will start a riot...hahaha maybe, doubt it....I have not seen anything change with all the videos, pictures and specifics I have posted on here and numerous other sources on the WWW the last couple years.

I believe its only made my fishing better sharing my experiences publicly, my Karma goes up every year, because I dont play the secret agent card on fishing holes. If anyone would like my advice or if I can help anyone fishng in Alaska just give a shout out. I do not know it all...I am not an expert..... but I do catch a few fish now and then.

Just saying...
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I wasn't gonna say but I wasn't talking about this forum, I mean't another one I caught a lot of grief from! Its obvious I don't mind sharing here! I try to share all my good experiences here with everyone cause I appreciate advice in return!

I agree man. What's the old saying: "Pay it forward?" I see no reason to hide information about my own personal experiences. If I can help someone else out, great.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Good sarcasm is wasted on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Early in spring, yes concentrate near the confluence of the Su. As things warm up like now, move upstream with the Rainbows. For access:
    Yoder The creeks have gotten overrun with Rainbows nowdays and it really needs to get them thinned out. Have fun with them.

Those placese are catch and release but if you feel you must poach I hope get caught and if not hopefully karma catches you.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Man you found two great Rainbow Creeks for sure. Early in spring, yes concentrate near the confluence of the Su. As things warm up like now, move upstream with the Rainbows. For access:
    Yoder Road
    Willow Creek off the Willow Fishhook Road:
    A small day parking lot on Hawley Street before you get to the Deception Creek bridge.
    Parking spot at the Deception Creek bridge.
    Parking spot on Shirley Town Road and a bridge to walk or drive across.

Lots of territory to explore for a newbie to the area. The creeks have gotten overrun with Rainbows nowdays and it really needs to get them thinned out. Have fun with them.
    Haha...it really needs to get thinned out...

I agree with the above posts, share the knowledge and you shall be rewarded, Karma is Great!

I didn't have to much luck on the valley streams last year for trout, hoping to change that this year now that I live closer to the streams. I have had awesome luck from Michelle road in previous years...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I have a question, any one know of any streams that have grayling in them in decent numbers on the parks highway around willow, or montana? I know there was a bunch in willow when I was younger but I haven't seen one in a long time there. I would really like to get into some with out driving to far out past montana.

Default Grayling

There are lots of grayling in Willow, Sheep, Goose. Nymps, dries, and fry are going to be the ticket. Good luck.

well I guess I just dont' know were to go any ideas were I should start looking on willow? or those other streams?

upstream of the parks highway there can be fishable numbers of grayling in sheep. please dont keep the big ones.....be respectful and release the large trout and grayling. fish small spinners, nymphs, beads, and the like....keep the dollies though hehe.

Release Lake Trout

well truth be told I never keep any thing but reds and silvers so no worries about the trout or grayling. I can't stand eating fish after living here my hole life so if I do keep some thing it goes to my mom and stepdad.

how can you not stand eating fish?

Release Lake Trout

when I was little my family was poor so we had money for food or to go camping, and my dad though why not go camping and catch food, so we had a lot of fish. I should be honest though I like halibut and lingcod, but salmon and trout are not my thing.

There are NO fish on the "Parks Highway system" I went on Friday and checked

I just feel bad for those who were King fishing. They should take up fly fishing if they want to bend a rod
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    There are NO fish on the "Parks Highway system" I went on Friday and checked

Not a thing

Best be rollin to the flippin kenai.......cause I didnt just catch 20+ bows
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Caught a number of nice Bows and Grays on the Willow this weekend. 10 King fishers to every flyrod fishers in the river. The jerk in the airboat Friday night ended the fishing for a while. His extra wide came hauling butt down stream, spun some circles in the mouth, dislodged a few larger sized logs on his run down and turned the water to chocolate milk. After a quick trip down past us and continuing on down beyond the king line, he pulled a 180 only to return, spin some more circles, and go back up stream.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast