Thread: 500 Smith and Wesson Problem

Angry 500 Smith and Wesson Problem

Anyone had or heard of problems with the sear spring bending on the SW 500??? Pulled mine out tonight to take it to the range dry fired it a couple time and on the third time the hammer did not cock back. I pulled the side plate off and found that the sear spring had bent over into the square machined area that is directly below it on the hammer…

That is indeed strange, never seen one do it. Have to wonder if it was not right when assembled.

Never had that with any of my S&Ws including my 460 which is the same frame as the 500, very odd. Send it home to Smith for the once over.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Anyone had or heard of problems with the sear spring bending on the SW 500??? Pulled mine out tonight to take it to the range dry fired it a couple time and on the third time the hammer did not cock back. I pulled the side plate off and found that the sear spring had bent over into the square machined area that is directly below it on the hammerÖ

Did you search the web yet for and answer? I ran across a post on a blog vary much like your problem, I just can't remember where? I know it wasn't one of my usual haunts as I was directed there. This was nearly a week ago. Could it have been your question? No matter what, I would call the folks you got it from, explain the problem in detail to then and ask what the proper repair is or would be. I would call them before I called S&W.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Baked Potato

Hi,

One thing to look for on brand new Smiths. They come from the factory dry as a bone. I always lube them before shooting at all. Makes every thing nice and smooth. My 500 came from the factory with smoother action than any of the smaller revolvers. Good luck.

I bought the gun used from a guy on Craigslist he also has a booth and the gun shows. Since the gun is used and bought second hand I’m pretty much fawked on warranty according to S&W website. I ordered a new spring today however I wasn’t real happy with there customer service department. I’m going to call back tomorrow when I have some more time, then I’ll explain my problem to them. I have shot my 500 a good amount I would say close to 700 rounds through it but still I wouldn’t think anything like this should happen.

Really hope this all works out I love my smiths and use to sell/recommend lots of them to customers I sure hope I don’t have to eat some crow

Default Baked Potato

700 rounds of full house is a lot of pounding in a 500. I doubt if many ever get fired that much. Hats off to you for your personal durability. I would buy an extra spring and live with it.

I've had broken parts in a Glock 21 (went back to the factory twice in 18000 rounds) and a Winchester Pump. As long as the frame is undamaged, I would regard the spring as a wear item and not worry too much.

One question. Do you have any noticable cylinder end shake? Have you guaged it? That would tell you if something has changed in the frame dimensions.

Good luck.

As you bought it used I wouldn't blame the gun right away. Who knows what the previous owner did to it thinking he was making it "better" than factory. Stick a new spring in it and run it. If need be, I'll send you a new spring. Just let me know via a PM.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

New spring in, fired 1 shot and now much larger problems. Its headed back to S&W. Ill post up how all this goes when it all said and done.

Thanks for the update- care to share with us what the "much large problems are?

New spring in, fired 1 shot and now much larger problems. Its headed back to S&W. Ill post up how all this goes when it all said and done.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Update on the larger problemÖ

Went out to Illiamna to do some fishing back in June. After 3 days of fishing and on our last night some of the guys in the party wanted to see the 500 in action. So I launched 1 of my 575 grain bullets into the bank. After that 1 shot I noticed I had a flattened and a blow primer. HMMM not good. Was going to let them shoot it with the lighter loads. I noticed that the trigger was not resetting the hammer, same problem I had with the bent sear spring, I was thinking that the last round had screwed up the new spring but after trying to cock the hammer back for single action I noticed the hammer would not lock back. Fing great I now have a 6 pound club that a can beat a bear with. We were leaving the next after noon so I wasnít unarmed for long. It did make me unconformable for the fact that if I would have needed to use it I would have been screwed.

After getting home from the trip I pulled the side plate off and inspected, found that the trigger had broke at the back portion that contacts the sear. Side plate went back on and I called smith thinking this is going to be a large PIA because Iím not the original buyer. Told them what happened, then sent me a prepaid shipping label, boxed up the gun and put a letter inside informing them of problems I had. Less that a week later I got the gun back with a new trigger and new firing pin. All at NO charge to me. Kick ass Smith and Wesson comes though again!

As far as my load, Iím not really sure why it was so hot, iv loaded some 600 and 700 grain bullets before and had no problems. Looking back and my data the load was 4 gains under max only thing I can think of is maybe my crimp on the bullet was a little much. I have put about 30 rounds through it since I got it back no problems.

Iím hoping this was a fluke, and wont be repeated. The work order didnít say much other than the parts they replaced. Time will tell I guessÖ

...As far as my load, Iím not really sure why it was so hot, iv loaded some 600 and 700 grain bullets before and had no problems. Looking back and my data the load was 4 gains under max only thing I can think of is maybe my crimp on the bullet was a little much. I have put about 30 rounds through it since I got it back no problems...
    What powder are you using?

Nice to hear S&W took care of you! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    What powder are you using?
    let me dig up my data and Ill post the load...

let me dig up my data and Ill post the load...
    If you are using H110 or W296 is it possible you had too light of a load and experienced detonation?

I really like seeing companies stand behind their products......