Thread: Fishing Recognition Books

Default Fishing Recognition Books

So I have been doing research on books for fish recognition. I know most all the fish in freshwater and alot of the saltwater genre. What im curious about is there any books that have Fresh and Saltwater Sport fishing info like what is edible, how to fillet and so on. As far as specific region im looking for alaskan fresh and salt water along with New York waters fresh and salt. If you have any recommendations id appreciate them. Thanks.

Default Rockfish

Here's the link to The Love Lab, Milton Love's website on rockfish. He's the recognized expert in the field of sebastes fishies...

The ADF&G fishing regs have a pretty good section on fish identification of the most commonly caught fish. As far as what is edible, that comes down to personal preference. Some folks will eat just about anything, others are picky.

Do some searches in the fishing forum on filleting, there have been some excellent turoials on how to fillet salmon. But having someone that has mastered filleting fish show you is the best way to learn.

I'd say one of the biggest keys to good fillets is a surgically sharp flexible blade, and frequently touch up the blade as fish scales and bones will take the edge off the blade quickly. You don't need a huge knife, a good flexible 6" fillet knife will easily handle fish up to 100#'s.

The common fish arnt the main thing I'm looking for. Im really just looking for like the encyclopedia for fish lol.