Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well

Default well

while yall are killing your bears...or taking some snazzy photos....I finally to got hit yay!!!

Glad to hear that! Time to whack 'em and stack 'em!

Taylor

well we'll see lol.....I'm off the next 3 days after tonight...yup, I'm screwn off at work

good luck get a big one.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

being I've never shot a black bear...my first one may not be so big LOL! The joys of interior alaska bear baiting.

Don't kid yourself TradBow, there's some nice bears down your way. I've seen plenty over 6ft taken from baits we use to hunt when I lived near Fairbanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Get at it T bow.... good luck man!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Go get 'em!

May the bear of your dreams show up and present a great shot! Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

AKH , mind sharing? Gonna take my fiancee out next spring for her first bear.

Anwyays..........

I finally got to sit last nite. My original tree plan was a bust, stinker was to big for my strap on steps LOL! oops. I dont typically hang a stand till it's hit...which isnt very often.

So plan b....a skinny birch will have to do. The only tree big enough to hang a stand in was right on the trail to the bait..hmmm. Oh well not much for options so it was what it was and there we sat..the skeeters and me.

In the hurry to hang the stand, I had it great for a shot, should it happen, but terrible to watch for bears on the move, they'd becoming in at my back, oops again. It was about 10pm or so I heard what I THOUGHT was tree falling, but I wondered if bear didnt booger out of town because of my wind. The place was super thick anyways so when I heard grass moving I wasnt suprised it was less then 20 yards and coming in paying no attn to me.

So after 20 years of bowhunting this spring you'da thunk I would have never made this mistake, but I did LOL. I like shooting, and while in the stand I like to draw from time to time for no other reason then to do it, while still hunting I'll fling arrows at this or that just for fun. Well somewhere throught the sit, my nock wasnt so tight on the string after doing one of these draw it back escapades. When THE shot presented itself...everything was perfect..till the string was dumped and KERPOW. oh crap! Yup dry fire, arrow fell off the string at the release...talk about rookie mistake haha. The bear looked up and payed no mind to the 230lb martin doing his best to be quiet all the while getting another arrow nocked......can you believe this jeesh.

The bear went back to feeding....a 2nd arrow was nocked and the shot was made . Everything looked good, felt good....seconds later I could hear the unmistakeable garble of a dying bear. Things happened fast......not fast enough for me to not be shaking like a leaf . I love it.

Ah crap, no flash light.....it's 12:14am. I wait 15mn cant take it any longer...I know the bear is dead....instead I take a hike, check on the 4 wheeler, and collect some thoughts just in case. This the part I really hate, wondering.

by 1am I couldnt take it any longer and took to the trail. There was immediatly blood at the shot. The arrow didnt go through, hitting bone on the off side, it buried 6"ers or so from the fletchings. At 1 am with partial cloud cover in the woods, it aint dark on june 10th, but it's dark enough....no side arm, just a longbow and wood arrows, wouldnt trade it for the world. She managed 75yards with a blood trail you could probably have seen IN the dark. Gotta love 2 blade eskimo's, they havent let me down yet!

Yup, if you havent guessed by now...I shot my first ever black bear in 20 years of bowhunting. The ONE animal I could never seem to pull off, few close calls here and there. I've got a couple pics on the phone, camera was dead, gotta love it, could have used a hunting partner too, oh well, hunting alone is almost as fun. Same bow I use for everything, 60lb liberty longbow, wood arrows and 2 blade eskimos. I dont think the bear's a 200 pounder but it's pretty dang close.... I'm tickled!

I'll post pics when I figure out how to get them off the dang phone LOL!

And thanks again Jess for the goodies!!!!

Good luck man! I am off this weekend to try and tag my first as well. Got my son his first last weekend though and that was more important! Hope you tag a big one!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL right ON brother!!!!! glad to hear things worked out... and you even got a second chance at it.....

great write up... get those pics off the phone.. ( i found it is easy to send them to my email then save them) and give us a look!

again Congrats.. The boy and i are headed out for a ~week in the morning...hopefully things have picked up at our site also.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds like you are full of second chances Congratulations on your first black bear! I am so stoked for you. Glad all the goodies worked out.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Right on! Sounds like a great adventure to me!

Default bear

good times and congrads the bear

way to go

Default Whoopee!!!!!!!!!

Nice going buddy! I can see it all. And the dry fire too. How in heck did you, Mr. Target Panic himself, keep cool enough to get another arrow on the string?
    Happy days for you. Glad it all came together. Now we just need a photo or two to wrap all this up.

Sweet! You must have been writing your story just as I was posting! Congrats! Sure hope it doesnt take me 20 years! Now I'm with everyone else... Bring on the pics!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Greg, I've kicked the TP way back now (ever since I missed the big grizzly in the late 90's)....heck people tell me I hold to long for a stickbow guy.... Thanks to Larry Yien for schooling me in getting back on track.

A friend came over and took some pics, still waiting for the email. It's a skun hide, not a hole bear, it'll have to work. Cant for the life of me get these dang pics off my phone....or send them to email, I hate technology sometimes lol.

got a pic off my phone...never did get the skun hide pic yet. The white knobby thing is a hunk of spruce sap right behind her right eye about 1/2" thick...thought that was a tad bit odd. Skull was 16 1/8"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sweet!

Nice, pretty, thick hide. Very good my friend, very good indeed! Will be tasty for sure.
    I just had some bear sausage made up by Indian Valley Meats. In fact we took a package to a family get together. Everybody that tried it liked it just fine.
    I'm so proud of you I could just tear up. But I got to ask, what good is a "hole" bear as compared to a "whole" bear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast