Thread: Tazers and defense in the woods ....

Smile Tazers and defense in the woods ....

Some time ago, in the seemingly perpetual "self defense and bears" thread, I wondered if a Tazer could be fielded that might disable a bear. The firearms crowd laughed, the bear spray crowd was dismissive. But now, check out this article from ADN.com:

http://www.adn.com/2010/06/07/131226...aser-part.html

There is no one answer, but perhaps a proper Tazer might be a useful addition to a bear/moose defense kit.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-08-2010 at 14:27. Reason: poor proof reading

Been useing them on cows for 50 years and sometimes they do what you want and sometimes not. If the shooting barbs don't even stick in humans half the time I would hate to try a mad griz or moose.If we can just save one is the dumbest comment any group makes.JMHOAPK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Working with state research biologist Tom Lohuis and veterinarian Kimberlee Beckmen, Lewis studied the effects of Tasers on about a half-dozen captive moose at Soldotna's Moose Research Center. He also worked with the manufacturer Taser International to refine the design of the non-lethal weapon for use on wildlife

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/06/07/131226...#ixzz0qIv7S3d8

LOL poor captive moose... heres your dinner but you have to stand in line to be tazed first....

I once asked the trooper in the field if he would use it on a bear... HELL NO was his reply... they tend to pull out too easy...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I saw this video years ago and ever since i have wanted to try it on a bear.

http://splodetv.com/video/taser-vs.-bull

he looks a little pissed dont he...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default Sooo....

What happens when the battery wears out? Run away? Hope the POed bear changes his mind? How long does a battery on a Tazer last anyway?

And a Bulls hair is about 1/2" thick... a brown bear... Depends on the season. I don't think Id carry a Tazer in place of even bear spray.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

I think I'll take one in the 40 mega-watt range.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

No thanks. I'm gonna keep taking karate lessons.

i wasnt planning on having one for primary "protection" im not that crazy, i just want to see what it would do.

the batteries last a long time, the x26 i had as a trooper would last a long time. but the shock only lasts for 5 seconds on the LE models, the civi ones (some of them anyway) last for about 20 seconds but at a lower voltage. (the user can shorten the length of time if they want)

i was thinking of useing it while bait hunting Blackies just incase one comes by that decides to climb up into the tree with me... as soon as he pokes his nose into my hide... ZAP!
    I would think that, along with the fall, would be enough incentive for him to leave the area for a while and think about what the heck kind of bee that was.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

The video floating around with the bull getting tased was a controlled experiment with a large animal taser. I believe it was 120,000 volts. Very effective to say the least. The X26 and C26 are both 50,000 volts, though I am almost positive it would work fine if all the parameters were met. The more muscle you have, the more it works. The biggest people are the most affected since they have more muscle to contract.
    I have a taser for 3 1/2 years now and the same battery is still at 70%. This is with occasional "shock tests" to make sure it is still working. They go a long time in standby, and the last I heard, a full battery, while holding the trigger down will shock constant for around 18-20 minutes. I can't test this though.
    Personally I would never use a taser on a bear, for the same reason as is in the Bull video.
    1. The barbs could fall out, killing the circuit. In 3 inches of tough fur I bet that wouldn't be hard to attain.
    2. The bear would likely get up with close to the same reaction as the bull had. If he wasn't mad, he is now.... and for an animal who has never been subject to severe pain and immobilization at the hands of something 1/8th it's size......wow, just video it, cause I don't want to be there.
    3. Even the C26 only has a 20 second shock time. I don't know about you but a 20 second head start is NOT enough for me. It's that or hang around and hope the bear goes into respiratory distress or V Fib before the battery goes out.
    4. Most of the time when people are attacked, it is in an instant, with hardly NO CHANCE at defending yourself. I would say probably averaging less than 3 seconds do something. If I have only 3 seconds, I want it to count. Now a nuisance bear. This is an application that is probably well suited for that. BIG difference though.
    Just for an idea, watch this video to understand how fast a bear can be...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

heres and idea for tree stand hunters that feel the need to shoot little bears the come up to look at them....

taze them and let them fall out of the tree rather then shoot them if need be... Personally i hit them with a stick and make them back down... but some folks are alittle more sceered of them to be able too..

not like he is going to fight you while he is hanging on anyway...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you opt to use a taser on a bear you will gain the advantage of getting an extra 5 seconds to say a quick prayer in addition to however long your running speed will keep you ahead of the bear after it gets back up.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

In the words of the arab guy in the first Indiana Jones movie:

"Looks dangerous. You go first"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXf_l93c6JM

Now that I watch it, I guess the real quote is "Very dangerous. You go first."

Default ...

I like the idea of having the wires attached to the barbs so the bear knows which way to go when it at first it wasn't quite sure.

I'd say a shock would work. However, a taser is far down my list of things to rely on for bear encounters.

I'd think crapping myself and rubbing it all over to disuade the bear might be higher than relying on using a taser.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    I'd think crapping myself and rubbing it all over to disuade the bear might be higher than relying on using a taser.
    This is also a good strategy to use if you ever find yourself in a federal prison!!

on second thought, taser might not be that bad if you could get one of these and fire it out of a harpoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44KVZLxm8a0
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Default I've go the perfect Idea ,you'll love it .

Take your favorite Hand gun and prepare a hand full of rounds with minimal charge a wad,pepper and a wad to seal it say with wax. arrange your cylinder so that the first round or two is pepper, consecutive rounds are full power loads.
    Pepper out of a gun is going to travel quicker and farther, and probibly sting like ,well pepper. and if the bang and the pepper is not enough deturant, then deadly force is in the next chamber. Inside of a tent the pepper round might actually pop a hole and provide ample influence on dangerously currious critters. It's not going to blow back in your face like the wet stuff does ,and in the event that you are defending some one during an attack , an inaccurate first shot won't further injure the victom.
    Going to try this out with .44 mag.and talcum powder. just to measure patterns, distance and such.