Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka?

Exclamation Eureka?

Anyone ridden Eureka or Belanger yet? Was wondring if the snow has all melted up that way.

We rode from the gravel pit back to 4-corners and back in to the roadhouse Friday night. There was fresh snow on the ridges, and mud and water pits throughout the trail. It was a blast though.

Default Balenger

trail is good, going into pass creek last weeknd had a bunch of ice and very technical to get through. another week should be just fine.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Awesome, thanks for the updates.

Smile Eureka

Thanks for the update. We are planning on a 'fathers day' ride there. Looking forward to getting out on the trails.

Anyone been to Eureka since July 4th weekend? Heading over there Aug 13-15 and planning on dropping down off Monument and exploring around the little Nelchina, Oshetna, Horse Pasture, etc. Interested in any current info on water crossings and trail conditions.

Sure,went in on the morning of the 17th and came back out evening of the 20th. Went down monument across the little Nel,around Fox Creek trail,dropped into Little O and camped 9 miles down towards the confluence. Was nice the day of going in then rain rain rain the rest of the time.
    Went one day across to the Big O and another day was spent up Big Bones. Pick your water crossings here and there watching for the shallows when you can. There was a few "trail" crossings through the river valleys to avoid where you pick your way around but thats nothing new eh. Nothing that was a show stopper. Over 10 years of this trip over the 3rd weekend in July and the water was the highest by a little this year over the last 4 I'd say.
    BUT.... your going in Aug time frame and things change with the wheather so could be higher could be lower. Just pick your paths and all is good. Nice and remote back there in the summer, during moose season..... not so much.
    3rd year in a row to get up close and personal with a grizz back there on our summer trip,spend some time glassing for evening fun after getting tuckered from all the grayling fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Anyone been to Eureka since July 4th weekend? Heading over there Aug 13-15 and planning on dropping down off Monument and exploring around the little Nelchina, Oshetna, Horse Pasture, etc. Interested in any current info on water crossings and trail conditions.
    I was in their on the 12th with my ranger and it was nice. water crossings were a breeze. We went into flat creek and then down to the Nelchina and up Monument. I think I put it in FWD once or twice. Once I should have but got overconfident and had to winch out of a hole! with all this rain I would be weary about the Oshetna though. If you go please update us. I have a trip planned for sept 4th to the Big O and farther.

I'll definitely update. I have another area that I moose hunt so this is just a Ranger recon and getting out to see some new country. My main concern is the river and creek crossings, but from the posts so far, seems like most are crossable just maybe not at the trail crossing so I'll keep my eyes open up and down river/creek for shallower water. If anyone goes between now and the 13th please post some updates as to water crossings, etc.

I was there Saturday with the Performance Yamaha crowd. The river at the bottom of the far side of Monument was tricky. The three in my group made it across, but one of them on a Big Bear dropped into a hole and swamped trying to cross on the way back. Try to find someone who knows the holes before you cross. The main trail approaching the river has a big hole on the left side, and the right. Enter the river from the center of the trail and aim for the other side and you'll be fine. Coming back is a little tougher. Just enter the river and let the current take you down-stream a bit. You'll see the trail. Try to hit the same point where you entered coming in, and you'll find the hole like my buddy did. Best of luck, and keep in mind the water level fluctuates a great deal from rain and glacial melt!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I mentioned it but we will both be in Rangers and mine is a 2010 Ranger 6X6 with three people, two dogs, and gear. Based on the river and creek reports I might leave the pac-rat trailer behind and try and get all my gear onto and in the Ranger. 1. We'll be heavier and less likely to get swept downstream, and 2. I won't have to worry about the trailer jack knifing if it decides to float. I have 14" inches of ground clearance and then at least another 18" before water could get into my air box or diff vents so I've got 2.5 feet before I'd get swamped. But, that being said, I'll be cautious. Keep the info coming. I've only been to the top of Monument so after that it's all new to me.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=9229859bf4
    Last edited by 1S1K; 07-29-2010 at 09:35. Reason: add link

I pulled a tandem axle pac-rat back past the Oshetna last year and had no problems with the rivers. The current would sweep the trailer down river a little but not so bad that I had problems. I'm running 27" tires and a 2" lift on my 4x4 XP so the trailer tounge never tried walking on top off my tire. If it concerns you, run a strap from the upstream corn of your rig to the upstream corner of the trailer, that should help. You will enjoy that trip alot more if your not too crowded with gear on the rig. Your gonna just LOVE monument for the first time! Up and down is just a treat! Last year my boy wanted to walk down. I just kept it in low and kept on the throttle to keep the clutch engaged. I highly recommend a EPI clutch kit. It helps going up and down these long hills. Going up loaded down good with trailer went pretty good. Full throttle and 7mph. I stop at the half way point to cool the clutch down just to be safe, I would hate to blow a belt going up that.

alaskabliss good idea with the strap you think of it all yourself??

Yeah, I mentioned not taking the Outfitter to the wife and she was not having any of it. She would rather cut the trip short than not have all the ameneties that bringing the Outfitter provides. Me, I want to go as far as the gas I can carry.

I have 27" 589's and the Ranger is at Big Lake Power Sports right now getting all the fluids changed, new belt, oil filter, greased, brakes check/adjusted, etc. in preparation for this trip. I've had it up some pretty steep rocky trails and the 589's excell at that type of terrain. But thanks for the heads up.

I've had one experience during a moose camp scouting trip where we crossed a "small" creek about 10-15' across. It was raining on the way in and the water was moving fast enough that when we entered the creek from the trail it pushed a little so that you barely made it to the other side where the trail was. We had all been across this creek for years and most of the time it was a trickle to maybe 10". Well we spent the night and it continued to rain and the next morning on the way out the creek was a 15' spout of white water mayhem. I couldn't believe it. One of the guys thought he could make it. I suggested tying off to wheeler and winch just in case and next thing you know he is is the water, floating, got spun around, headed down stream, and puff was gone into the woods. We chased after him for about 50 yards and found him holding onto a branch on the other side and his wheeler was gone. We got him to the other side and then walked down stream and found the wheeler upside down on a bank that formed a Y in the creek. We tied him off (since he was already wet) and sent him back in with winch lines and straps. We recovered the wheeler but we were still on the "not going home side" of the creek. We ended up taking a land anchor and throwing it across the creek, hooking on a tree, then I stripped down, with tow straps tied to my waist, I used the land anchor to pull myself across and through the torrent with my buddies keeping me from going down stream. Once across, I was able to anchor every strap we had to a huge tree which ended up being about 7 feet short of the water line, so then we had to throw winch cables across and winch the wheelers across. It was not a good deal. Every wheeler was swept down stream before the winch line took up. We made it across, but now I'm ultra sensitive to water crossings and I carry alot of tow straps

That sounds like one hell of an adventure! Glad to hear you all made it through in one piece.

An adventure because we all survived but it could have been really bad had the guy when his wheeler flipped in the current hit his head and got knocked out or something. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about the what if's. Fortuantely for me and the rest of us we were able to "live and learn."

So, thanks to everyone with the info about water crossings. Like I said, keep it coming and the more up to date the better. I don't live my life scared, but knowledge is power, and I'd hate to get back from this trip that I'm planning and write up a horror story about crossing the creek/rivers and then have someone say, "Well just down a ways..." I don't want to be an Alexander Supertramp who didn't know about the tram just a mile down river. I also respect the fact that some of this I just have to get out there and experience for myself and make good decisions based on my knowledge, experience, and equipment. Whatever info someone is willing to share I'll take and can hopefully return the favor.

A side note: I've been on these forums and have blasted members who post asking for information about trails etc. I just want to clarify that I'm not asking a general question like "How do I access Unit 13 from Eureka?" I have been talking about a specific trail, I have identified specific land marks, and have a general idea of the route that I'm going to take. So, for the record, I will share my knowledge with someone who has a basic knowledge of the area in question. But, I will not share information if you ask a general question like, "Anybody know of places to hunt moose off the Parks hwy?" Or, "I got drawn for tag # blah, blah, blah, and need to know access points."

A side note: I've been on these forums and have blasted members who post asking for information about trails etc. I just want to clarify that I'm not asking a general question like "How do I access Unit 13 from Eureka?" I have been talking about a specific trail, I have identified specific land marks, and have a general idea of the route that I'm going to take. So, for the record, I will share my knowledge with someone who has a basic knowledge of the area in question. But, I will not share information if you ask a general question like, "Anybody know of places to hunt moose off the Parks hwy?" Or, "I got drawn for tag # blah, blah, blah, and need to know access points."[/QUOTE]

what the he** is wrong with asking for information on an area that you have never been!!! Sorry to jack your thread but that is one of the reasons these forums were created. to share information of all sorts. If some one was lucky enough to get drawn good for them. No sence in sending them out into an unknown and chance them getting lost or worse!!! Another note If some one is just getting into the atv scene and has a general question why fault them for it. I think your a biggot and in general a not nice person!!! I am ferius enough that i cant even think straight.

I have to agree with you Argonut. People who want info from others but are not willing to give it out to others make me mad too.

You guys are cute when you're mad.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    You guys are cute when you're mad.
    I'm not mad, but I think you should re-evaluate your position on sharing information. The forum is going to have newbies, or people simply new to one type of recreation. If they ask what you perceive to be a stupid question, then odds are you have a lot of experience to share with them. Withholding that is ethically wrong, in my opinion. People took the time to show you, you should share back to the people who are new. Just my opinion.

Dee
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast