Thread: I have a question

Default I have a question

I have a question for all the sport fisherman and guides out there on the Kenai River. A lot of people here pledge to preserve the fish on the river and I am just wondering, say the run of kings was really weak and fish and game closed gillnetting in cook inlet to help with king numbers since the run was so weak, but sportfishing was open still on the river, even though they were well below their escapement goal, would you guides and sport fisherman continue to fish for and retain kings, even though chances were very high that escapement goal would not be met? And lets be honest here.

from my understanding that couldn't happen under the management plan.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    from my understanding that couldn't happen under the management plan.
    It is a hypothetical question, I know it would never happen, I am just interested in hearing some of the responses. I am not sold on the fact that people care more about preservation than self gain, I know there are some, but the fact is in general, people are greedy, it is human nature, and they do what is best for them first and foremost.

Out of state guides with people paying $300 a person for a chance at a king... Yeah they'd be fishing... Which is why we allow socialized fisheries management.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Out of state guides with people paying $300 a person for a chance at a king... Yeah they'd be fishing... Which is why we allow socialized fisheries management.
    What is socialized fisheries management?

The Chignik experiment?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    What is socialized fisheries management?
    Government run fisheries management... Capitalist fisheries management was what we had pre statehood and we all know how that turned out...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Where did this $300 dollar guide come from?? And why are we wasting time on a hypothetical question anyway?

Try to envision guides and sportfishermen making the ultimate sacrifice...Nope.

The question is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Where did this $300 dollar guide come from??
    I was wondering that myself. Patrick, can you point me to a single Kenai king trip that costs $300? Heck, I don't know that I've seen any that cost $200. Seems like last I looked it was in the neighborhood of $125 or so for a day chasing Kenai kings.

Default I know of one

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I was wondering that myself. Patrick, can you point me to a single Kenai king trip that costs $300? Heck, I don't know that I've seen any that cost $200. Seems like last I looked it was in the neighborhood of $125 or so for a day chasing Kenai kings.
    Brian, I know of one and it is because the cost is in a package deal. The cost of a riverbank cabin with 5 days of fishing is 2250 dollars per person. That figures out to 450 dollars a day. The cabin is probably 150 dollars per day so the fishing must be 300/day. You get to stay on the banks of the Kenai, you have a guide for both fresh and saltwater trips and you have your fish stored. But it is around 300 in this package and they are booked for the summer.

Default My neighbor does one

He is a guide on the Kenai and has a package deal that includes 2 nights in a cabin by the river, one salt water trip, a float trip and a half day on the lower Kenai, all for $350.00(last years price)
    HOOSE35 as for my not fishing if com-fishing was stopped but sport was not... That sir is a loaded question. First we all know that what you are asking is just not going to happen, and second just the wording of your question already condemns anyone that does not agree with your opinion.

Default still confused

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Government run fisheries management... Capitalist fisheries management was what we had pre statehood and we all know how that turned out...
    What is capitalist fisheries management? Government run fisheries management is what we have today. The State of Alaska and the Federal Gov via Mag/Stevens manage our fisheries.

Are you implying that political pressure from industry was greater in pre-statehood? I would argue that has not changed - just different players and different politicians - Stolz, Huggins, ring a bell.