Thread: Boating on the Little Susitna

Default Boating on the Little Susitna

I am contemplating taking my 16' skiff w/ a 40hp long shaft prop and heading upstream on the Little Susitna from the lower boat launch ramp off of ayrshire road. I've never been on the lil' sue before as I am fairly new to the area and am wondering if it is a shallow-water drainage or would a propped boat be fine running in it? Any help would be appreciated, I am wanted to explore some territory for an antlerless moose permit this fall...any ideas?

Default good

Have heard that downstream from the put in is deep after the first bend....haven't done it myself, but plan to with a 40hp prop on a zodiac.

Yeah, I've heard that too; however, the unit i'm hunting in is bounded by the parks highway, the little su and ayrshire/kinik-goose bay rd so I'd be looking at heading upstream. I just don't want to have to make the drive out there just to find out the furtherest upstream I can go is a couple hundred yards...

Pilot1995

Default Upstream

Little sue gets shallow upstream just a few corners from the launch. Some props go up but they don't make it very far.

IMO - The Little Su is not a place to be fighting shallow water with a prop. Too many boats, too little river, too many blind corners. When you get past the reef a mile downstream, it is not to bad, but still can put you on the wrong side in a bad corner with oncoming traffic. Upstream, you might make it a mile, but traffic is less (usually).

Mike

Wish I could draw that darn tag! I could have filled it 4-5 times a day last year.... If you know the area reasonably well it is a better full freezer guarantee than a quest card! I would definitely lose the little su with a prop idea though.

upstream in the fall is pretty shallow a jet is the way to go.
    you could float it from houston down.

Default Jet Country

Don't try it. It's shallow, rocky, full of hidden little "surprises". If you'd be considering a float trip, leave the outboard in the garage, get a drop off in Willow and drift/float/oar your way down to the Burma Rd. ( or Ayrshire ) ramp. You'll at least be able to float the majority of the time, and then you can get out and pull it across any bars ( wear waders ). Just remember, there will be probably be a lot of sweepers coming down if it's raining heavily, so be ready paddle hard .

Default Sorry!

Sorry, the drop off would be in Houston, not Willow... Shoulda proof read