Thread: Suggested Reading/Checklist

Default Suggested Reading/Checklist

I've looked at BHM and I'm going to order several books from there, but are there any other books or reading material out there that you would suggest that offer more of an Alaskan perspective?

Secondly, does anyone offer a checklist, of sorts, for the basic necessities an the pleasantries of bush living? I'd imagine it's impossible to list everything someone needs, but what about some type of guideline? I'm planning on making this move in 2 years, but I'd like to start accumulating stuff along the way...

Thanks in advance!

Default Here you go---

---Not sure what BHM is but I have a bunch of Alaska books. One I really like was by Peter Jenkins (Jennings?) called Looking for Alaska. The others that come to mind are collections of short stories of which there are two volumes that I know of. They are called the Alaska Reader.

As for your checklist I had to laugh, that would be a mighty long answer for most of us, I am supposing. But lets keep it short and sweet. How about warm, dry, and well fed. Oh and no stinkin' clock whistle or bell telling you you got to be somewhere. :-)
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

I kind of think that if you have to ask for a checklist, you may not be ready to get into even thinking about living in the bush yet.

As far as reading lists, here's a few from my book shelf right now: Travels in Alaska by John Muir, Klondike and Alaskan Gold Fields by William Haskell (VERY good dose of reality, reading this one now,) Caught by Alaska! by Jack Jeffrey, Wilderness by Rockwell Kent. There are TONS of books by Alaskans about being and living and going to Alaska. They're a dime a dozen up here. Practically everyone that's ever come to Alaska feels compelled to write their memoirs, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    ---Not sure what BHM is but I have a bunch of Alaska books. One I really like was by Peter Jenkins (Jennings?) called Looking for Alaska. The others that come to mind are collections of short stories of which there are two volumes that I know of. They are called the Alaska Reader.

As for your checklist I had to laugh, that would be a mighty long answer for most of us, I am supposing. But lets keep it short and sweet. How about warm, dry, and well fed. Oh and no stinkin' clock whistle or bell telling you you got to be somewhere. :-)

I have a pretty good grip on most of the more obvious stuff, I guess I'm just thinking about things you don't know you need until you need them. I'm not doing this until June 2012, but I'd like to get everything I can between now and then lined up. That's why I'm also concerned with reading material - the better I can prepare myself, the better I think it'll be.