Thread: Best time of November to hunt Kodiak??

Default Best time of November to hunt Kodiak??

Since I didn't draw any tags this year, I am planning a bow hunt in November on Kodiak island for Sitka blacktails. I have been to the island once, in 2006, and hunted the east side of the island. It was the second week of November and it was peak rut.

Most of the transporters I talked are booked that second week this year. But all of them have openings during the week of Thanksgiving. I am asking if anyone has been up there that late in the year, and if so, what kind of experience they had?

I know weather is not something a person can predict. So weather aside, are the deer post rut by that point? Are they harder to hunt? Is it better to have deer down low, or to have to climb some but get them during the rut?

What is everyone's experience with this island? Thanks, Zack

My group killed 5 bucks last year the three days before Thanksgiving. Deer were still rutting good and we saw alot of them, you should be fine. Good luck on your hunt and bring some warm clothes, it sure does get cold at night!

first week of november on the south end 2008.....was AWESOME. had mixed weather, warm and sunny, cold and rainy, windy, 10" of snow one morning! bucks were easy to find and the meat was EXCELLENT......this is a pic of the end of day 1......at the end of 9 days of hunting- 8 hunters = 27 bucks, 1 doe, 1 griz and 4 foxes...... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=9270

some of us had proxies. flew out with andrew airways........

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for the info CGSwimmer25. A couple days ago, I was really concerned about going late in November. The more I hear from people who have been there late, the better I feel about the hunt. It seems guys have good hunts throughout the entire month.

Default Late BT's

A group of us went to Kodiak the 1st week in December this last year ('09)

No problem finding deer getting up to bow range was no more of an issue than it ever is. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. Was nice that the deer were down low and while they were not "rutting" every buck we found was around groups of does. We had no problem filling our tags. It seemed that by having snow it not only pushed them down but it gave them less country to be in. Most of the deer were within 1/2 mile of the beach.

Only issue was by the end of our hunt, antlers were beginning to be dropped but you are not looking at going that late.

Thanks for the info. Great to hear you had a good hunt last year. I'm pretty confident the week of Thanksgiving is still a good week to be there hunting.

I went last year during the week of Thanksgiving on the southend of the island. We saw lots of deer and I harvested 2 nice bucks. Also shot some ducks; gotta nice harlequin.
    Deer numbers were high and saw a lot of bucks. The second deer I shot was ~30 yards (bow range).

I hunt every Thanksgiving while in Kodiak. Have to make that annual trip to the in-laws. Deer hunting is pretty good and the duck hunting is fabulous! Have fun.

Awesome news guys. I know last time I went, I wished I had brought my shotgun. I will have it with me on this trip for sure. I'd love to bring home a
    harlequin.