Thread: Help with lens pricing...

Default Help with lens pricing...

I have a brand-new, never used lens in my garage and have no clue the value of it or if its worth me getting a camera to go with it .

Here's everything it says on the box

Sigma MF

28mm F/2.8 for Canon

52mm

Any thoughts?

let me know if you want to sell....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I dug around online a bit and found very little info.

I put a post on a very active photography forum asking for info. You can follow it here if you so choose...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=885197

In case the link breaks, go to this forum, then the "Canon EF and EF-S Lenses" subforum, then look for this post...

"What is this worth? Sigma 28mm f/2.8 for Canon (brand new) "

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, I'm gussing as to it's worth, but here's the deal. (without looking at the Canon thread)

28mm is what's called a "wide angle" and is not a zoom.
    It's an extra lens that probably came with an older canon (35mm not digital?) and was replaced by a nicer zoom with a "wide angle" capability, or a faster wide angle lens.

52mm is the filter size it will take.

the 2.8 tells you that it's a "fast enough" lens, but is not especially fast as lenses go. Considered average. If it was in the 1.x range you would have a lens that's considered a "fast" (really good glass) lens.

The MF on it kinda indicates it must be a Manual Focus only lens (verify this at a canon forum) and probably is not an automatic focus, so must be focused manually.

I'd venture a guess that it's maybe worth about (maybe) $50 at a garage sale price, but go to a Canon forum and make sure. You may be able to e-bay it for more/less. That's MY best guess.

Dan, many zooms of today are 28mm-105mm or 28mm-135mm, so most folks have a ZOOM that covers the wide angle capability for them.

If you only have a zoom that is like 80mm-210mm (many do) you may want to keep that to give yourself the "wide angle" capability that you don't have with an "80mm-210mm zoom". (if it fits your current camera).

The wide angle is good for scenic shots of things like Denali or the Grand Canyon where you're trying to get as WIDE a field of view as you can (without the distortion of a "fisheye" lens). Or maybe inside of a Church or whatever. So check the "low end" on your current (zoom?)lens, and see if it goes down to 28mm. You may want to keep it just for wide angle shots if you don't already have that capability. (again, IF it fits your current camera).

If you don't have a camera that shoots that lens anymore...sell it at a garage sale for maybe (lucky) $50. Take $35 if it's offered. OR save it for another 20years...and it could be a "collectors item" someday. That's what I seem to do...you should see my attic! Because of a cool gift from ElmerKeithClone to me recently, I'm going to put a bunch of stuff like that on the "pay it foreward" thread just to keep up the good spirit of the forum/karma. That's another cool option for you.

tjm, did you want this thing? I know you said before your boy could use it. If he can have some fun with it, its all his!