Thread: OK what is it called?

Default OK what is it called?

I,ve caught them before but not in so many numbers. Fished out of Seward this weekend, water was rough so didn't get too far out. We were fising for Halibut and caught Flounder looking creatures with spiny looking sharp teeth and black/white stripes on the fin. What are these? I'm sure someone told me before but can't remember what these ugly things are we thrugh all back. other than these we caught a few chickens and some gray cod

Arrowtooth flounder
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thank You

Thanks now that rins a bell

Quote Originally Posted by gman_59 View Post
    sharp teeth and black/white stripes on the fin.
    The sharp teeth make me want to say arrowtooth flounder, like AK-PM said, but the mention of stripes make me want to say starry flounder.

The links are to pictures. Either of these look like the critter in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    The sharp teeth make me want to say arrowtooth flounder, like AK-PM said, but the mention of stripes make me want to say starry flounder.

The links are to pictures. Either of these look like the critter in question?
    I'd have to agree. Arrowtooths have "fangs" and starry have the stripes. But I've never caught a starry that has very large teeth or an arrowtooth that has black and white stripes.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Indeed. As the others said, arrowtooth don't have stripes on their fins. Additionally, starry flounder are decent eating, whereas arrowtooth turn to mush if frozen.

Stary flounder also turn mushy if not quickly cleaned and placed on ice.

Sounds like an arrowtooth based on the teeth and catching it Resserection Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Indeed. As the others said, arrowtooth don't have stripes on their fins. Additionally, starry flounder are decent eating, whereas arrowtooth turn to mush if frozen.
    Donít forget to mention the flesh also turns to mush when cooked, unless you do something special like dip in some enzyme or something before you cook them.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.