Thread: getting the fines out

Default getting the fines out

My wife and I panned a few places over the Memorial Day weekend for the first time. How do we get the fines out of the sand? Is there a better method than tying to pan it out? It is now in the bottom of the snuffer bottle. Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how much material you have.
    I use one of those little black pans for cleanup and if I only have a little bit of cons to process I can get it almost l00% clean Sometimes 100%.
    For larger amounts of cons I use a mini sluice from the GPAA made from rain gutter and black matting with a garden hose hookup on it.
    Those gold magnets help alot also. These are the push button style. Lay your cons in the bottom of your pan in a thin layer covered in water run the magnet just over the top and be sure to release over another container to capture it. If it clumps too bad you could have gold get stuck in the clumps. Often times this will get as much as 50% of your black sands out.
    If you find you have a lot of concentrates to process on a regular basis you might want to invest in some kind of cleanup gear. The minisluice I have only cost about $20. There are all kinds of other cleanup devices out there from goldwheels($400) to special recirculating cleanup sluices to vibrating shaker tables. Find one you like and that fits your budget. You could also find someone with a cleanup device who might loan one to you.
    If you are on the peninsula I might be able to help you out when I get off the slope.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thanks for all the good info Chris. we are going to "invest" in a sluice box this week, so hopefully we will have more cons to sort soon.

Forgot to say you can make your own gold magnet by placing a couple of strong magnets from a craft store in an old film canister or similiar flat bottomed plastic container use it like the the other kind and just shake the cannister to lift the magnets and release the magnetic black sands.
    If you only have a small amount of cons it should be fairly easy to pan them out using the smooth side of the pan.
    CAUTION: DO NOT USE MERCURY!
    Many people will suggest using Mercury to cleanup your fine gold.This is very effective and can be done somewhat safely But,If extreme caution is not used you could get mercury poisioning. Also if you have kids or pets it is easiy for them to touch or get ahold of trace amounts of the Mercury that may get accidently spilled. I do not use Mercury because the risks are too high. That and the fact that there are so many harmless ways to process your consentrates. Just thought I would mention this as there are several people who have asked me about amalgamating gold with Mercury and how to do it.I always recommend against it. For those with commercial operations using Mercury may outweigh the risks. For the average recreational prospector it is just not worth it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"