Thread: How slow is the Kasilof.

Default How slow is the Kasilof.

Anyone catching hatchery fish from the Kasilof River?, Starting to thank maybe there will be a bait closer coming soon.

S--L--O--W ... like stuck behind 3 RVs on the seward highway slow.

It's not that bad, but you gotta be at the right place at the right time. The days of any yahoo simply driving down to the ditch, throwing any ole' thing in the water, then catching a fish are over. However, an experienced fisherman that has been on the river on a regular basis should have a good chance at hooking up.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Man I miss the days of 82,83,84 of walking down to crooked crk after midnight with the gang just laying waste to the kings so to speak, it hard to believe that much time has went by. Thanks for the report markw3 as Iím stuck at work with a week to go,,,, glad to hear its picking up.

Default Kasilof

Was there today. Took out one hatchery. Saw another guy take one. You'll catch and release several native kings. It's still a blast catching them.

You need to look up piscatorial pursuits, Bob is the best guide on the Kasilof.

Default To the Kassilof today

Heading down to fish the Kassilof today with Markw3. Will write a report later on tonight when we return.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    The days of any yahoo simply driving down to the ditch, throwing any ole' thing in the water, then catching a fish are over. .
    I resemble that remark
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

My brother-in-law was saying the other day how he would go down to the People Hole on the Kasilof at the peak of the early run and hook up with one or two dozen kings per day. This was in the 80s. Sounds amazing. Wish there still was a fishery like that around these days...

Default Fished Thursday with markw3 landed a 19-20 pound Hen (Keeper)

Not a hot day by any standard but we did see about a dozen or so fish landed (a mix of wild and hatchery fish). When the tide turned while backbouncing we landed a 19-20 pound fat hen (hatchery). Also landed a jack at the end of the drift....should be tastey on the BBQ!

Thanks Mark...had a great time...go fishology outfitters:

www.akfishology.com

Default Restrictions on native king retention lifted

ADF&G issued an EO today; native kings can once again be retained on the Kasilof effective at midnight tonight. Just read it.

Went to the Crooked Creek campground late on June 17. About 30 people fishing the gravely area downstream from the island. Saw one king caught in two hours and it was small.

Default Kasilof still slow

I went to the Crooked Creek Park area today and there were about 25 people fishing from shore and a bunch of drift boats going through. I saw one small king being caught by a drift boat but that was it. It was very slow. Casting a line and having a chance at catching a king still beats sitting on the couch watching TV any day.