Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denizens of the Deep

Default Denizens of the Deep

One of the coolest things about fishing deep are the unexpected catches that sometimes come to the surface. I've seen a few strange things over the years, but have rarely had a camera. This past week while fishing for sablefish we pulled up four of these guys. All were released, and it's not the first time we've caught 'em, but I still think they're one of the strangest looking fish in the Alaskan ocean.

We also pulled up a pretty cool looking brittle star (I think?) when out shrimping earlier this year.

Does anyone else have anything that they caught that was strange, uncommon, or just kind of odd looking?

wow thats pretty gross/cool
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

"Brian M", that is one ugly fish. How deep was that drug up from? Thanks for sharing.

Wow, Brian, that makes one wonder what is actually out there that we haven't ever seen yet...

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, do you know what it was?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Does anyone else have anything that they caught that was strange, uncommon, or just kind of odd looking?
    Does either of my ex wives count????

is that eel a wolf FISH? i know we have wolf eels and wolf fish... but if i recall from my diving days the wolf eel had a much larger head...

but in reality it looks like somthing out of bram Stokers nightmares there in your hands Brian....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Monkey faced eel...or at least that's what we've always called them. They were caught between 1,500' and 2,000'.

I should add that I'm expecting homerdave to chime in here any moment with the binomial nomenclature for both the eel and the star, along with a brief synopsis of their life histories.

Don't disappoint me, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I should add that I'm expecting homerdave to chime in here any moment with the binomial nomenclature for both the eel and the star, along with a brief synopsis of their life histories.
    Me too. I keep a couple books aboard that have most Alaska species in them, particularly a blue paperback by Kessler, I think. A great book, but I'll bet Dave has better.

If I remember correctly that is a Wrymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    If I remember correctly that is a Wrymouth.
    Looks right to me (especially since both pictures feature an orange-clad fisherman)

I'll have to look up the name of the starfish. They aren't found strictly in deep water. We spotted quite a few of them in diving depths in SE, usually at night. Their swimming motion is quite mesmerizing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Giant Wrymouth

Yep thats a giant wrymouth. We caught a huge one in our crab pot last year.

~AKBoatR
    Attached Images Attached Images

I caught something strange once but a course of penicillin fixed me right up!!!

Default Here's a Prince William Sound Wolf Eel from 3 Weeks Ago

My fishing buddy caught this 40" wolf eel in PWS on a big silver jig lure.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a monkey faced eel. We caught one in a shrimp pot this year. They are very good eating. In Oregon, people fish for them in the jetty's. Fillet, corn meal and fry...very good.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    My fishing buddy caught this 40" wolf eel in PWS on a big silver jig lure.
    Jim
    That is a very cool wolf eel! Thanks for sharing. We've only had those on our boat a couple of times. Man, what a cool fish.

As for the fish I posted, wrymouth is indeed the name. That rang a bell immediately when mentioned above. Thanks, fellas.

Phish - Interesting that you mention the starfish's swimming motion. We actually caught it on a sinker (rock) that was attached to the buoy line. For the depth we were fishing in, that sinker shouldn't have been on the bottom, so I was surprised to find something attached to it. Perhaps it was swimming up in the water column? I hadn't considered that possibility.

The star fish is actually a crinoids (sp). If you ever get another one but it in a bucket of water and they fan out like they have feathers. There are lot of different kinds.

That is defiantly a wrymouth, don't stick your fingers in his mouth! I watched a guy try and lip one and I had to pry it off of his finger. I think there might be one on that video I just sent you brian.

A few years ago I caught a couple of Atka mackeral in PWS, I had no idea what they were. Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

Thanks, mallardman. Again, now that you say the name, a light went off in my head. I'm sure I've seen those on a video or two before, but it didn't occur to me when it was in my hands.

It's definately a crinoid.

Thanks for putting it out there. I couldn't remember that word to save my life.

They are quite interesting to watch in the water.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast