Thread: Barnes MRX - 180gr 30-06

Default Barnes MRX - 180gr 30-06

Now don't anybody have a heart attack or think I have been drinking anything. You all know I don't conjure up to Barnes TSX bullets. I order by mistake a box of MRX 180gr bullets for my 30-06. I don't feel like going to all the trouble of shipping them back!!!!!

So here is my question since I have not used them. Has anyone on this forum used the 180gr MRX in a 30-06 to take game. I am not interested in how it performed on paper, I want to know it's terminal effect on game because you shot something with this bullet. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well I am not crazy at all about the TSX and never tried the TTSX. These I am wondering if the Silvex core and especially the tungsten base would drive the bullet forward in a more direct manner keeping the bubble in front of the bullet meplat allowing a better cavitating wound channel than the TSX?

I guess the overwhelming response I got to my first post on this thread is evidence of how little this bullet is used and hunted with or at least it seems so up to this point.

I also noticed that there is more variation in the weight of the bullets than I experienced with the TSX when I weighed each of the MRX bullets. I can see where you would not have as good accuracy with the MRX as opposed to the TSX if each bullet was not weighed and sorted before loading.

Man, these are expensive bullets indeed!!!! You would almost have to be lucky in picking a load that shoot good the first group or you would certainly run out of bullets. What in the world was Barnes thinking???? Oh, well I will at least shoot a few groups with a known powder charge and load that gave me good accuracy with the TSX because I am curious. Thanks again guys for the impute.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, I have read your threads and commentary over the last several months, and I think I have come to know your general view on subjects in this forum and have come to know that you are of the meticulous type indeed.

Therefore, are we really suppose to believe that this order of yours was put in mistakenly?! Sir, I hope you have fun working up your mistake, and I'm sure you'll let us know how they work out. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    BT, I have read your threads and commentary over the last several months, and I think I have come to know your general view on subjects in this forum and have come to know that you are of the meticulous type indeed.

Therefore, are we really suppose to believe that this order of yours was put in mistakenly?! Sir, I hope you have fun working up your mistake, and I'm sure you'll let us know how they work out. LOL

It truly was a mistake or they did not fill it right because I was ordering a box of 180gr Nosler Ballistic tips. It really is to much trouble to box it back up have them adjust my monies and then wait to have the 180gr ballistic tips sent. I just ordered another a box of Ballistic Tips and made sure by calling them that they got it right. According to them when I complained about what happened I will get my money back for the difference and I can still keep the MRX bullets.

Now, back to my need and that is someone who has used them on game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

There do not seem to be many factory loadins for the MRX.

I read somewhere else, but can't recall where, that someone else found significant deviation in the MRX bullet weights. If so, Barnes needs to work that out. I think the basic idea is a good one if you have limited (as is always the case) powder capicity and want to increase it without losing bullet weight. It seems like this would be best in bigger/longer-for-caliber bullets--like a 270gr .338 bullet or something that was not two inches long. But, if the bullets do not weigh the same, they're a complete waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    There do not seem to be many factory loadins for the MRX.

I read somewhere else, but can't recall where, that someone else found significant deviation in the MRX bullet weights. If so, Barnes needs to work that out. I think the basic idea is a good one if you have limited (as is always the case) powder capicity and want to increase it without losing bullet weight. It seems like this would be best in bigger/longer-for-caliber bullets--like a 270gr .338 bullet or something that was not two inches long. But, if the bullets do not weigh the same, they're a complete waste of money.
    My impression exactly. MarineHawk, 4 out the 20 we exactly the same in weight and the deviation of the rest was unacceptable with only 20 bullets to work with and no way a person could really afford three or four boxes to get enough bullets to work up and accurate load then have some for hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey BT!! I'd enjoy helping you move a little closer to the Barnes circle my friend, but I can't help out in this case. As much as I like the TSX's, I've never acquired an interest in the MRX. The outrageous price-tag always kept me and any of my reloading friends away. In fact, I'm surprised Barnes is still making the MRX. You might try asking Ty (one of the ballistic technicians at Barnes) for some load information and terminal performance on game. He's been very helpful when I have spoken with him.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hey BT!! I'd enjoy helping you move a little closer to the Barnes circle my friend, but I can't help out in this case. As much as I like the TSX's, I've never acquired an interest in the MRX. The outrageous price-tag always kept me and any of my reloading friends away. In fact, I'm surprised Barnes is still making the MRX. You might try asking Ty (one of the ballistic technicians at Barnes) for some load information and terminal performance on game. He's been very helpful when I have spoken with him.

Doc
    I had a couple of conversations with Ty a couple of years ago about Barnes bullets and the MRX. The MRX was developed to offer a Barnes bullet in heavy for cal, and stabilize in standard factory twist rifles. I was "told" they behave like a TSX/TTSX in every othe respect. The only difference between a TSX and an MRX is it's length and CG. For sane weight bullets, their SD is the same and they are designed to expand the same.

IMO, they are wayyyy over priced (practically speaking).

If the range being hunted with isn't more than 300 or 400 yds, who cares how much weight deviation is? You will never notice it.

Have fun shooting them BT. I wouldn't waste 300 RUM barrel life on them, but with a 30-06, no worries. I'm not even gonna ask you how they shoot

I have a buddy that I worked up a load for. I trashed 40 of those jewels with a variety of loads and they just didn't preform as well as the cheaper TSX on paper so he bailed.

They shot fine but diffidently not worth $49.95 per 20. After brass, powder and primers under the the MRX you have a spendy round if you're able to develop an accurate load for your rifle.

In theory they will preform like a Partition or an A-frame Swift. As MR mentioned, they offer a heavy for weight bullet compared to the standard TSX.

Federal was, at least at one point in time, loading them for the 30.06 and I somehow got my hands on a few boxes a while back.

Took a whitetail doe a year ago with them. It was at 175 yards and she dropped like a rock. The exit wound was a little less than I had seen from a Core Lokt, if that helps you at all.

On paper, they were quite flawless, grouping well out to 250 yards.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Thanks for the info
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS