Thread: Pentax Spotting Scopes

Question Pentax Spotting Scopes

I saw this one in the list: "Pentax PF-65ED 2.6"/65mm Waterproof & Fogproof Spotting Scope (Angled Viewing) with 20-60x Wide Angle Zoom Eyepiece & View-Through Case (42-60 Degree Apparent Field of View), Your Choice Angled or Straight $599.99 ". This looks like a good deal to me.

Has anyone used one of these scopes? Is it too big for sheep hunting? If so, what do you guys use and what did you eliminate when you bought yours. Also, if buying an eyepiece, what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

That's the one I'm going to buy for sheep hunting. The PF-65DEA, the angled one. They are as light as your going to get for that type of scope and fairly compact. That is a killer deal. Pentax makes awesome spotting scopes. Don't let anyone tell you any different. You can use other industry standard 1.25" eyepieces with them also. Although in the world of spotting scopes, birders and astronomers Pentax eyepieces are the benchmark that others are compared to. That eyepiece it comes with is no slouch. You can step up and get the fixed eyepieces if you want, the XW's (300 bucks or so). Or you can put on the bigger (and heavier) 20-60 SMC like they use on the the 80 and 100mm Pentaxes. It's a $400 eyepiece though.

It should be awesome right out of the box.

BTW- I have a pair of Pentax DCF SP 10x43's and I love em.

I have the pf80ed 20-60X80.....it is the best bang for the buck....PERIOD. I would say if the lil' brother is half as good as the 80mm you will be more then pleased. I have had the burris sig series, the leupold gold ring, the leica 77mm, and now this is my go to glass. Pentax spotters are so under rated it is wrong.....good for us though.

My only gripe is the weight of the 80mm......wish the 65 was on my tripod most hours of the day.

I really did enjoy the weight of the leupold, but optically it is not even close.

Talking Thanks Guys

I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to figure out the eyepiece thing. I understand they are standard sized and may be found by different manufacturers. I start my homework.

Thanks Again,

Matt M

Forum Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to figure out the eyepiece thing. I understand they are standard sized and may be found by different manufacturers. I start my homework.

Thanks Again,

Matt M
    Matt,
    The one that comes with the PF65ED is the Pentax 70530 SMC XF Zoom
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Thumbs up Sweeet!!

I mounted the Pentax spotting scope on my car window and took a look around the front range of the Chugach mtns. Today it was overcast and low light with little contrast...like when I need a spotting scope. It was crisp and clear. There was no need to run the mag up to 60. 40 was more than enough. I ws looking from about 6 miles away and could probably count branches on the rtees if I was patient.

This is one I will HIGHLY recommend. Thanks for the guidance Doug. You have another satisfied customer.

Matt M

My Pentax spotting scope arrived today too from Cameraland - very well packed and even a day ahead of scheduled delivery! For a demo, I sure couldn't tell the unit had even been unpacked from the box - it looked new in every way. I will second your review Matt! It looks to be very good glass with a bright clear image at the edges. Conditions today were tough with very little contrast and I had no trouble seeing small details on the distant hills. I had my doubts about mounting an angled scope to a window mount, but with the way the base swivels, I don't think there should be any problem getting the needed headroom clearance.Thanks Doug for a great product at a good price

Wyatt