Thread: Clam Gulch Boat Launch?

Smile Clam Gulch Boat Launch?

Was there a few weeks ago and saw a guy with a boat out there during low tides. Is there a boat ramp somewhere near by that we can launch from? Was thinking about taking the boat there to do a few runs. I shouldv'e asked the gentleman to see where he launched and retrieved from but wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I know its close by because he took off when hide tide came in and by the time we made it up the hill he pulled in about the same time with his boat retrieved already. Any help or guidance in this will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Was there a few weeks ago and saw a guy with a boat out there during low tides. Is there a boat ramp somewhere near by that we can launch from? Was thinking about taking the boat there to do a few runs. I shouldv'e asked the gentleman to see where he launched and retrieved from but wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I know its close by because he took off when hide tide came in and by the time we made it up the hill he pulled in about the same time with his boat retrieved already. Any help or guidance in this will be greatly appreciated.

wow no help at all from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    wow no help at all from anyone?
    I've never heard of a boat launch at Clam Gulch. That's probably why no one has replied. The guy probably just launched off the beach. What are you trying to fish for when you say "do a few runs"?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default You might...

... have seen set netters. They do launch themselves. Maybe you could hire them to launch you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I've never heard of a boat launch at Clam Gulch. That's probably why no one has replied. The guy probably just launched off the beach. What are you trying to fish for when you say "do a few runs"?
    I figured the most part about the non-existing boat launch at the site, im a little icky about launching from the beach but was hoping maybe there was a actual boat launch close by (within 5 miles or so). "a few runs" ...Well saw some halibut being taken from shore there and thought id try to take the boat out a little further or when high tide comes in and see if i can catch a few butts myself after clamming.

There is no boat launch there. I would be amazed if one of the setnetters would do it for you. I have launched on the beach hundreds of times but with a heavy boat I don't do it. Pay for the tractor instead. If you do launch on the beach yourself, make sure you know what your doing and make sure the sand is hard and not soft. I have seen about a dozen trucks go under in 34 years and its not a pretty sight.

If you do it make sure you can get the boat back on the trailer without getting your truck tires in the water or even close. I used to just hook a rope on the front of the boat from thr trailer and drag it up on the sand. I had rollers on an ezloader and I would back the trailer under the boat while my buddy would winch it up. If you get your truck tires in the water you are asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    There is no boat launch there. I would be amazed if one of the setnetters would do it for you. I have launched on the beach hundreds of times but with a heavy boat I don't do it. Pay for the tractor instead. If you do launch on the beach yourself, make sure you know what your doing and make sure the sand is hard and not soft. I have seen about a dozen trucks go under in 34 years and its not a pretty sight.

If you do it make sure you can get the boat back on the trailer without getting your truck tires in the water or even close. I used to just hook a rope on the front of the boat from thr trailer and drag it up on the sand. I had rollers on an ezloader and I would back the trailer under the boat while my buddy would winch it up. If you get your truck tires in the water you are asking for trouble.

thanks for the info.

Default Sketchy!

Wouldnt try the self launch it probley wouldnt work out to well!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest doing the beach launch thing yourself unless you know what you're doing. Go down to either the Deep Creek or Anchor tractor launch and do it that way. It's expensive ($58 at Anchor), but you'll be glad you did.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

$58 is expensive. But consider $58 for a launch vs. $40,000 for a new truck. I call this a no brainer.

Default Launch as the tide is going out...

Good suggestions. I've launched a light boat out of Deep Creek years ago, but I always tried to catch it with the tide going out. Only reason, I didn't want to get stuck with tide coming in and figured I'd have time to get help. But the sand/gravel might be soft after the tide turns.

Oh yeah, and lock your hubs : ). Didn't do that once and almost had the raft parked on top of my shell - a wave pushed it over the trailer and almost swamped me before I locked in the hubs and pulled the hell out of there.

The things I did when I was young and dumb, but those were fun times.

I pay for the tractor launch now. Plus, with all the break-ins I'm reading about on this forum, I'm looking forward to parking in sight of the tractor shack so there is some presence in the area.

Sometimes I wish I had the old beater truck again - less to worry about, less expensive to repair/replace, and no payment - plus, I didn't care much is someone doored me in the parking lot.

Good fishin' and be safe.