Thread: What forcast for Pony cove

Default What forcast for Pony cove

What marine forcast do you use for for Pony cove? I have always used the resurrection bay forcast and have been fine, until this weekend. They were calling for 2-3 footers but they were much much bigger. inside of bear the bay was great. I know they miss from time to time also.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    What marine forcast do you use for for Pony cove? I have always used the resurrection bay forcast and have been fine, until this weekend. They were calling for 2-3 footers but they were much much bigger. inside of bear the bay was great. I know they miss from time to time also.
    About all I can say is in my estimation any "marine forecast" is a guideline at best. I have fished at least 2 to 4 days per week in Kachemak Bay for the last 13 months and about all I do now is glance at it to see what is going on in general. And I look at K-Bay, Cook Inlet and the Barrens to see what's going on all around.

I've seen days out there where they're calling for 20 kts. and 4 ft. seas and decided to stay home and then when I drive down the Spit to do some work on my boat the water is no more than about 1 ft. with a very light breeze blowing. And the opposite is quite true as well with 10 kt. variable and 2 ft. seas the forecast and I fight 5 ft. wind waves all the way home.

And a lot of times if the wind is blowing constantly from one direction it might be lumpy in one area, but n ot in another. If the wind is blowing hard for a long time from the NE there might be 4 ft. wind waves blowing down K-Bay, but as soon as you get outside and out toward the Bluffs the land protects the water and it'll be nice and smooth out there.

This is only MY estimation, but I'd put the marine forecast reliability at about 25% or so. The best mark I can give it is if it says it's going to be 10 kt. variable and 2 ft. seas then it's not likely to be dangerous or overly uncomfortable out there, and if it says "gale force winds" that's usually a pretty good indication things are going to be rather nautical out there. One thing you should never do is put all your faith in it. Know the local weather patterns and keep a sharp eye on the various weather indicators that NOAA puts out and just use your common sense.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Waves or swells?

I've headed out to Pony and further and while the waves my be only 2', the swells can run 6-8'. Reserection Bay is one of those areas where the forecast is just that, and there are alot of factors that can build to big seas in no time.

I've never had a truly calm day in Reserection bay, but it is fishable so long as you can handle a rocking boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Waves or swells?

I've headed out to Pony and further and while the waves my be only 2', the swells can run 6-8'. Reserection Bay is one of those areas where the forecast is just that, and there are alot of factors that can build to big seas in no time.

I've never had a truly calm day in Reserection bay, but it is fishable so long as you can handle a rocking boat.
    Waves, only found one place we could fish

Default Seward Pony Cove

Got pretty beaten up getting out to Pony Cove this Weekend. Winds where coming out of the South. Didnt really get anything. Spent 2 days fishing from thumbs cove to Agnes Cove. Fish Count: 7 Yellow Eyes, 3 Halibut, and 10 Pacific Cod. Waves where pretty rough out by rugged Island.

You can look at the Resurrection Bay forecast but when going to Pony Cove you have to cross the Harding Gateway which is completely exposed to the Gulf.
    Look at zone 121 for Res Bay and zone 120 Cape Suckling to Gore Point.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php?fcst=FZAK51PAFC

You can also look at the wind speed for Pilot Rock

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Alaska_inset.shtml

Default Good Info

Thanks for the information. Will come in handy once the Silvers start hitting. Good to know.

Default it was nasty

Got within 2 miles of Pony Cove and had enough, it was nasty out there today. we turned into Chivel Narrows and didn't find much relief and a few Cod Lot of gas wasted on this trip

Pony is definitely one of those areas where you've got to factor in the Cape Suckling to Gore Poiont forecast. You are nearly out of Resurrection Bay with no reral protection from the wide open Pacific until Hawaii--literally. IIRC there was a gale warning for those waters last weekend, or at least a small craft advisory. From my experience the forecast for Res. Bay usually is solid until Caines Head, then somewhat reliable out to where you still have the protection of Rugged Island. After that, Cape Suckling to Gore Point forecast can often come into play, and it don't look good for this coming weekend! Good luck and be careful out there--that water can get pretty big!