Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian River outlook

Default Russian River outlook

Was just wondering if anyone has scouted out the Russian River yet to see what the fishing will be like for the opener. I know last year they were stacked up thick at the confluence. Just wondering if the run will be as good as last year....

I have not been there yet, but will be down there Thursday night!!

Hope everybody drives safe!! If you are leaving after work on Thursday to head to the Russian grab some coffee or if you get tired pull over for a nap. There will be plenty of fish for all.

There is a post in the russian river opener thread. A member floated down saturday. Said he did not see much. Im gonna try to copy and paste it here. Ok here it is

"I just got back from floating the upper river today. I saw 0, that's zero jumpers from the lake to Jims. I was looking pretty hard for fish, but didn't see anything. Who knows what it will be like in 4 days though."

He did say in a pm that the water is running very high and fast and alot of the gravel bars for floating are washed out pretty good or at least covered. So from that is looks like were gonna have to earn our fishes for sure

Of course I would not expect to see any from the lake to sportsmans but from sportsmans down you usually can see some. With the high water im sure there are some there just gonna make it a bit tougher
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Walked the river today from Grayling to confluence. Water is high but clear, seen much worse conditions. Hot and sunny day, great visibility yet saw very few salmon in river proper, more big rainbows. Several reds were jumping in the slack water at the mouth; nowhere near the numbers of last year. Two black bears spotted hanging out at the cottonwood hole.

Lots of people expected with a few bears mixed in!
    Tim

Walked the ferry side on Sunday - saw several jumping across the far side...and a few on the ferry side as well. Wouldn't say they are "thick"...but they're there

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Lots of people expected with a few bears mixed in!
    woohoo, my father in-law will be here the 10th and is scared to death haha. Good luck to all and see you there.

Spike on the lower river sonar the past three days probably means some decent sockeye are on the way.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Heard that sockeye were being caught pretty regular up by Bings for the last three or four days.

I thought that the spike in king counts indicated more kings?

Default Sunday Float..

Floated down to Jims.. Sancuary and other early run bars were all but devoid of sockeye... Of course water is raging and will be interesting to see how the sockeye react when they get there in the next few days..

Talking not so

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Heard that sockeye were being caught pretty regular up by Bings for the last three or four days.

I thought that the spike in king counts indicated more kings?
    I've been going down to Bings for the past 4 days, waiting for the fish to come through...I live about 1/2 mile from there. I'm stillllll waiting. I've seen 3 fish caught in the past 4 days. NOT good, but they could show up any time. We hope. Good luck all and pray for fish

Campground host at Bings was my source. I will ask him what his secret is the next time I see him.

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    I've been going down to Bings for the past 4 days, waiting for the fish to come through...I live about 1/2 mile from there. I'm stillllll waiting. I've seen 3 fish caught in the past 4 days. NOT good, but they could show up any time. We hope. Good luck all and pray for fish
    Well if you don't have them at Bings wouldn't they be about a week out from the Russian then.........??????? They will hang out at the Shilak for awhile as well.......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeak View Post
    Well if you don't have them at Bings wouldn't they be about a week out from the Russian then.........??????? They will hang out at the Shilak for awhile as well.......
    If they dont pass through Bings, they are'nt gonna make it to the Russian. Each year the fish passing through Bings is a good indicator of the run strength. They pass through fast and furious, last year there was about a three day window of decent catching down there and an excellent opener at the Russian. And this year.....well I hope they show...and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    If they dont pass through Bings, they are'nt gonna make it to the Russian. (.
    I understand this. What I was asking is the timing from bings to the Russian. If they aren't catching at bings yet it would seem like several days out from hitting the Russian.....

We floated (swam/snorkeled) the Russian on Monday from Grayling to the confluence, and saw what I would say were very few fish. We saw only two holes with salmon, and one of those only had about 6 fish, while the other may have had about 30. There were some fish in the Russian just above the confluence, but even just down from the confluence where the water mixes we didn't see fish. The float also started to get scary at that point, so we got the heck out of the river at the third stairs.
    It was a great time though, and we did see some pig rainbows in there. I can't imagine our scouting technique would be very much appreciated though after the season opens.
    Here is one a pic, but it is not the clearest and the sockeye blend into the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    We floated (swam/snorkeled) the Russian on Monday
    Wow...you snorkled? Hats off! As my wife just said, "that's stupid and ridiculous...and I love it!" I thought I had a good idea with scouting it via packraft last year. It never occurred to me to stick my face under water.

Great report but not so great of an outlook for the run...

Default Curious

I'm really curious this year to see exactly how many fish there are in the Kenai while floating it. I'm rigging up my new gopro camera off the back of my cat to video while I float down! I know its really hard to see but you never know, it will be cool to see just how many fish are actually laying in the water! Nice picture BTW I like the bow in the front!

Yeah, we snorkeled it. It was my buddies idea, but I was all for it. I am not one to pass up a dumb idea that sounds like a lot of fun. You think that river moves fast when you are wading it, you should try it face-first while floating on your stomach. There were a few unpleasant collisions with some rocks. It was quite the experience, and seeing those monsters rainbows swimming in there really topped it off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast